IGNORED

Comparing old irons

EThePT
Note: This thread is 3109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't have the money for a newer set of irons. I have been playing with a set of Alien Solar Systems irons. I was wondering if anyone knew about some other irons I have. They say Tru-form Torrid Tour Precision Design. They seem pretty old and I am wondering how they might compare.

What do you mean by "a newer set of irons" and "don't have the money"?

Golf shops have lots of good irons - often only three to five years old - which they got on trade-in. And, they want to re-sell the trade-ins so they can get their money back.

I saw several sets of name-brand irons in this category yesterday at a golf shop. Many were in the $200 to $300 range.

Trying out good used clubs would likely benefit you more than laboring over your two offbrands.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

$200-300 is just too much for me for right now. I have a complete set of clubs (which I got for $20) that I can hit pretty straight and they get me through the courses I play on here. I know they are old, off brand, and probably nowhere near as effective as newer ones out there, but I have not even been playing a year yet and have a wife to answer to. I just got this other set (the Tru-Form ones) from a friend and am wondering about it, as there isn't any info out there that I have seen.

Also, how did you put the 'in my bag' part in your signature?

$200-300 is just too much for me for right now. I have a complete set of clubs (which I got for $20) that I can hit pretty straight and they get me through the courses I play on here. ...

I understand. Didn't mean to be pushy. As long as you can hit 'em straight.

Originally Posted by EThePT View Post

Also, how did you put the 'in my bag' part in your signature?

You need to have at least 7 validated posts on the site within 7 days. Then you access your Profile and enter sign information. This thread gives the details:

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't have the money for a newer set of irons. I have been playing with a set of Alien Solar Systems irons. I was wondering if anyone knew about some other irons I have. They say Tru-form Torrid Tour Precision Design. They seem pretty old and I am wondering how they might compare.

i got my set of irons at a goodwill for $12 and they are the best irons i've ever had. long and straight. yard sales, play it again sports, local pro shops, thrift stores, ebay. you can get some really good clubs these days for a fraction of what they sold for new.  my whole 14 club set cost me around $70 this year.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

I played an old set of clubs because I couldnt afford new ones for years. Who cares as long as you have fun. And when you can afford new clubs trust me. They are so much easier to hit you will be so happy you waited.

eBay is always a good option if you don't have a lot of money and some idea what you wants.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

I'd stick with older name brand clubs. Ping, Callaway etc.etc. You can find on Ebay Ping eye2 irons for about $100 in good shape. They are a good set that will last for many years if need be. Callaway Big Berthas are also good. Plus many others.

Anytime you get something older make sure it's of quality for it's time preferably top of the line. Get a set of r9 irons or some titleist dci 990's get the right shaft on em and your gold. These can go cheap because I think they are 20 years old. Alien and those other clubs are generic scrap metal clubs that are sold at sporting good stores as starter sets for kids.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TITLEIST-DCI-990-IRON-SET-3-PW-IRONS-DYNAMIC-GOLD-STEEL-STIFF-FLEX-112494-/351468522515?hash=item51d5280c13

This is not my ebay I don't sell on ebay :surrender:

Note: This thread is 3109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!