IGNORED

Keep Stats

iacas
Note: This thread is 4711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you keep statistics?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

I used to count just putts but have started doing the whole thing with scorecard quite recently. Its very quick, like a couple of minutes for one round and its very obvious what I should be spending time practising on.

What's in the bag
Big sticks Ping Rapture V2 9° Fusion FT-3 3-Wood, 3,4 Hybrid

Irons Ping I10 5-GW
Wedges Cleveland RTX 54° Spin Milled Vokey 60°Putter Redwood Anser Titleist NXT Tour 1500 rangefinder

Can't remember whether I posted on this forum or not. I keep up with fairways, GIR and putts and of course post my scores. I am in the 30's with both GIR and fairways. Just how in the hell do I manage an 18 handicap with those statistics?

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

I have been using intelligolf.com PDA/phone/PC golf tracking software. It runs on lots of phones, pda, etc. And there is a desktop package for summary and graphs.

It tracks most things ( each stroke: club, distance, fairway(L/C/R); approaches (hitting green, where missed) and the first two putts ( distance, slope and missed L/R, Short/Long, hole)) and up/downs, penalties, etc.

You can just track strokes, or strokes and putts. And up to 5 players scores at once. With betting games if you like.

It was not enough when ever hole was a disaster, but is really great as my game improves. Linked with GPS, one gets lots of data. In addition, you have realtime scoring and stats during the round and summary of previous efforts on that course.

I found about 30 seconds to a minute will track even the most difficult holes data. I can get everything in usually before I have to tee off on the next hole.

Although there are ways to get trends, etc, I mainly use it to look at my last round, where are things bad, where did I loss it.
Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

I loved the article. I am an analytical type guy and like this type of approach to identifying what you need to get better.

I checked out Scorecard and decided to get it. I now have one whole round in it. Hopefully, two after tomorrow.

In the article, Dave used the middle players in the PGA to set goals for his improvements. However, he is a scratch golfer and I am far from that. Where would I go to get realistic averages of amateur players? I just need something realistic to compare it to so that I can focus on my biggest opportunities.

I know I need to work on my short game. My putting and up and downs are atrocious, but I would like to know how far off. I think Pelz put together some info. I was just wondering if there is a resource other than me piecing it together from multiple sources.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I do since I downloaded Scorecard. Hopefully it will tell me where I need to improve my game the most. Although I have a strong suspicion that it is my putting.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

I know I should keep basic stats but usually get distracted, rushed, etc. and end up quitting. If suck so I play slow when me and 3 other hackers are playing together so I usually quit to save time.

Driver: 3DX Square 12*
3Wood: 30 dollar dicks piece of ____
Hybrids:3DX 20* and 23*
Irons:3DX Red 5-PW
Wedge:Vokey Spin Milled 56.10PutterDF-990 33 in

• 11 months later...
I'm a high handicapper with a low swing speed. I've not had it measured but I can just tell from watching others that I've the low end and I focus more on having a consistent tempo.

I currently play with Ping Eye2+ and they have a stiff shaft. They always have and still do feel right for me in terms of staff stiffness. I feel the stiff shaft gives me more feel.

I'm currently in the market for more modern irons, my first "new" set and I've hit a few and I'm getting on quite well with a couple of sets. One thing that sticks with me, though, is that regular shafts feel too flexible for me. The guy in the shop told me that I should be looking to play regular shafts to get the most out of a slower swing speed but it just feels loose to me, like I'm not in complete control and that there's lag in the shaft (don't get me started on how horrible I think anything with a graphite shaft feels, including drivers).

Should I take their advice and stick with regular shafts, assuming I'll adjust to the new shaft and it'll feel right after more and more practice or should I get my new irons fitted with stiff shafts and stick to what feels right for me?
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

Take a look at Royal Precision's line of shafts. They have several that are between R and S flex that should work for you. Don't take that guy's advice. If it feels bad, don't use it.

In my stand bag:
909D3 with 10.5 degrees of loft and a 45 inch Fujikura Rombax 6Z08, x-flex
909F3 15* with a stock Diamana Blue
FT 18* with an Aldila NV
X-forged ('07), 3-PW with Project X 6.0 CG12, 53/11, and 58* with DSG Red X2, 33"All with Lamkin Crossline Full Cord. (except the putter of...

I guess I'm saying though that perhaps it only feels bad because it's all that I know.
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

I guess I'm saying though that perhaps it only feels bad because it's all that I know.

Bingo. As a relatively new golfer with little/no experience with different types of clubs and shafts, I'd highly recommend finding a fitter and then taking their advice, whether it "feels" right to you or not. Your game will benefit in the long run. My .02.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The guy who was advising me knows his stuff. He was open and honest and wasn't trying to push the more expensive sets I demoed and in fact did steer me towards two of the cheapest sets I was playing with. I will definitely try the stiffer shafts before I purchase but I'll use the launch monitors on the day I go to buy to tell me the cold hard numbers to help me decided.

I'm very interested to hear if anyone else has been in a similar situation though, where their feel suggests different clubs than the numbers.
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*

When you say your swing speed is low it depends on just how low it is compared to the recommended ss for different flexes. If it's close then you might be better going with what 'feels' right to you. However, if you swing speed is low enough that even getting close to the recommended parameters for a senior flex then a R flex would probably make more sense. A shaft that is fit to your swing speed/tempo makes it easier to 'load' the shaft, which usually leads to more distance and often more consistent ball flight as well. Another option, if you really think you prefer the feel of the stiff flex is to consider a lighter shaft with same flex which will help increase you swing speed a bit but still feel similar to what you are used to. True Temper makes these in the Project X and Dynamic Gold HL lines (and maybe others). I also know Nippon makes really light steel shafts and I'm sure some of the other companies do as well. Still another option might be graphite shafts, which will also potentially help increase swing speed.

Whatever you decide, more flexible or lighter shafts quite possibly will help you improve your tempo and have the potential to improve your game and result in more distance and consistency.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I'm a high handicap myself and my swing is just about average but its kind of jerky. I was once told that the way you load the shaft affects what stiffness you need. I have no idea if this is true at all but it seems to hold true for me. I also you stiff flex in all my clubs and i think they are right for me regardless of swing speed.
Monster XLS
Sumo Squared Hybrids (17* 20*)
Pro Combo OS (4-PW)
Victory Red Wedges (56* 60*)
Unitized Leo E5+

• 7 months later...
How do you guys define an attempt for an Up and Down? I define U/D as a chance to hit the green and make a putt to save par.

So on a par 4 , my third short (if not on a green) is a chance for U/D no matter how far I am from the hole. Likewise on a par 5 , my four short and on par3 my second shot if I miss the green.

Is that correct?

On a different note, what software do you guys use to track your stats? I am looking for something that is free to use (so scorecard is out =P )

Burner 10.5 *
Burner 15*
Rescue 19*
Voit V5 Hybrid 24*
MX-25 5-PW CG14 52*,56*,60* Ignite 002

An up and down does not have to be for par. Anytime you are off the green and then get into the hole in 2 shots, that is an up and down IMO.

same for me.

Try out scorecard for your first 5 scores. It's excellent.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• Administrator
Try out scorecard for your first 5 scores.

Yeah, and it's not exactly pricy. You play golf - Scorecard is in the bottom 5% of golf expenses possible.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!