IGNORED

Regripping with midsize grips

Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've always suspected that I should have larger grips due to my hand size, but got conflicting information (e.g., grip size isn't hand size related, but more for what your swing tendency is, like to help to release or hold). Anyway, I came upon two sources:

1) Local Golf Galaxy: fitting area has a big poster that says, if your fingers dig into your palm/thumb pad, your grip is too small.

2) Golfsmith's online "SmartFit" system, that suggested for my hand size (about 8.5" wrist to tip, longest finger between 3-4"), I should have a larger grip.

So, I decided I'm taking the plunge. I like the standard Tour Velvets, so I just picked up a set, and I've regripped several times myself, so I know the process. What I don't know is, does the midsize grip require any extra layers of grip tape (i.e., is the hollow center larger, and that's what makes the grip larger), or is the center section the same diameter (i.e., no extra grip tape needed) and the larger grip is due to more rubber (which I guess makes them slightly heavier?)?

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I've tried midsize and oversize grips the last few times I've regripped. The inside diameter of the grip is sized properly so you don't need to build up the difference at all.

--------------------

-Bob

If it ain't broke, you're just not trying.-- Red Green

What I don't know is, does the midsize grip require any extra layers of grip tape (i.e., is the hollow center larger, and that's what makes the grip larger), or is the center section the same diameter (i.e., no extra grip tape needed) and the larger grip is due to more rubber (which I guess makes them slightly heavier?)?

Finished grip size will vary by the core size (58 or 60) and the size of the shaft. With the Tour Velvet you could have just ordered/purchased mid-size. Generally speaking to go from a standard grip to a midsize will require 2 extra wraps but again this depends on the shaft and grip core size to start. I have a chart that can help with this, I'll dig it up.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Finished grip size will vary by the core size (58 or 60) and the size of the shaft. With the Tour Velvet you could have just ordered/purchased mid-size. Generally speaking to go from a standard grip to a midsize will require 2 extra wraps but again this depends on the shaft and grip core size to start. I have a chart that can help with this, I'll dig it up.

I think you're confused a little - I did buy the "midsize" grip. My question focused more on your other point about the core size. I did end up finding something that said the midsize core is slightly bigger (60) vs. standard (58) but it looks like that's not too significant. As I slid the grip on, I paid attention to whether or not it went on "too easy" and then, once on, I would give the grip a squeeze to see if it felt like the core was tight around the shaft. In the end, everything felt fine. Just one 2" wide strip of tape wrapped around the shaft, and I think I'm set. Thanks.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

You have one of two options:
Regrip with midsize grips with one wrap, regularly.
Regrip with standard grips with two wraps.

Driver: Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3+ Utility: 3DX Utility 13.5*
Hybrids: 4DX 18.5*
Irons: MP-30 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM54.10 & SM60.04Putter: T.P. Mills StudioBall: GamerBag: Warbird Stand

You have one of two options:

The later statement will vary slightly depending on the core size of the grip and the butt of the shaft

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i just got new grips installed and what a difference. they're Lamkin Jumbos and now i feel like i don't have to grip as hard on the clubs anymore. they almost force me to just have nice easy grip, which helps me have a more relaxed swing.

My Blog

Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!