IGNORED

What is the actual distance?

Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When you look at your score card and the hole is a par 3 157 yards from the middle tee...........is that yardage to the center of the green or to the front edge?

Driver:TaylorMade R580 XD Stiff
3 Wood:Wilson FY-brid 15*
Hybrid:Adams A3 Boxer # 3
Irons:Titleist Square Toe 4
Irons:Callaway X-20 5-PWWedges:Adams Tight Lies GT SWPutter: Ping Anser 2Ball: Wilson Ultra or Precept Lady IQ180 or Bridgestone e6+

I'm guessing it depends on course, but the one I usually play at is to center of green I believe.
Inside the OGIO Exodus
Driver: Ping G10 10.5* w/ TFC129 Stiff 45"
Hybrid: Nike SQ Sumo2 #4 & Sumo #2 w/ DG S300
Irons: Callaway X-20 5-PW w/ DG S300 2* Up
Wedges: Nike SV Tour Black 52.10 - 56.10 - 60.6 w/ DG S400Putter: Tour Bettinardi 32.5" Loft 3* Lie 70*Ball: Precept U-Tri Tour / Bridgestone...

It's to the center. Also, the markers in the fairway are the same way; the distances are to the center.

Another thing to watch for is where the marker is in the tee box. Most courses will have either a yardage or color marker embedded into the ground on each tee box that cannot be moved. These are not to be confused with the tee markers that are placed on the surface of the tee area to define the tee "box".

To find your true yardage, you have to find these markers in the ground and add or subtract yardage depending on where they place the tee "blocks" that day.

DT

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

When you look at your score card and the hole is a par 3 157 yards from the middle tee...........is that yardage to the center of the green or to the front edge?

Every course I've played, it was to the center of the green, along the center of the fairway, through pivot points in doglegs. Par-3s rarely (if ever) dogleg, so it's probably straight to the center of the green.

Depending on the size of the green, be sure to +/- based on whether the pin is front or back. That having been said, ask the starter or the course pro. They'll likely know for certain at your course.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You also have to pay attention to where the tee markers are. Just because the card says one yardage doesn't mean it's accurate, if the tees have been moved up or back.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

those yardages from the tees are almost always to the center of the green. we have small granite blocks in the ground with the yardage to the middle of the green so you can calculate the yardage from where ever the tee blocks are set. we also have blue, white and red flags which tell you whether the flag is on the back, center or front portion of the green. i have seen other ways of providing that information to players. some of the higher end courses provide yardage books and/or the sprinkler heads have the yardage from that point in the fairway to the front, center and back of the green. this information is crucial in club selection. it can be 2-3 club difference in yardage.

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

Here in Finland I know of only one course where the distances are not calculated to the center of the green but to the front of it instead. So I would imagine the correct answer is that they are almost always calculated to the center of the green.

Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!