IGNORED

Finding Value in The Used Club Market

Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Depreciation Rates of Drivers and The Used Driver Market

Generally speaking, when a new model of ANYTHING comes out, the previous model depreciates in value.  Sometimes it means big savings and sometimes it doesn't.  Computers are a great example of this due to Moore's Law which basically says that the computing power of a cpu doubles every 2.5 years or so meaning your computer becomes obsolete after perhaps 3.5 years of being on the market....

Is there a pseudo "Moore's Law" for golf clubs/technology??? Could we call it "Spalding's Law" after my favorite character in Caddyshack who would never be capable of this type of thinking... so it is ironic and funny...?? Perhaps?

When I see a new driver on the market that is hyped up to be the "solution" to all my golfing woes I get excited.  When I see the $500 price tag I start looking at last year's model a little bit more critically knowing I could only afford it by donating plasma to supplement my income... or a kidney.

I see 2014 models going for $75... I see 2009 models going for $50... I see 2004 models going for $40.  Obviously the depreciation rates are NOT linear.  There is a value zone here and you can take advantage of it!!!  Spring is generally the season of savings in the golf world.  New products are fully out and marketed well. HYPE HYPE HYPE!! New driver promises to cure slice and possibly cancer!! WOOT WOOT!  That's when I examine the price points of the lowly last years model or even 2 3 years prior.  According to the local golf pro ( he is honest and knowledgeable) a driver that is close to 3 years old is the tipping point between max savings and still benefiting from advances in technology.  I am in the process of looking for that "perfect" club.  It's going to be purchased this spring (April?)  It's probably going to be a Callaway model.  And it's more than likely going to be purchased via the internet.  Which is the next topic.

The Used Driver Market.... Yikes.  Counterfeit clubs are no where and everywhere depending on who you asked.  Remember that local golf pro??  His buddy and #1 salesman told me flat out "Don't buy any clubs online... 50% of all clubs online are counterfeit."  I just nodded my head like that I believed that he was telling the truth and was not at all BIAS in anyway shape or form.  Obviously if you purchase clubs online then their business loses that opportunity to make a sale.  Obviously when you see the "new" driver on EBAY like a Taylormade R15 going for $19.99 you are looking at a counterfeit club.  Anyone out there use the online retail stores?  The pga certified online retailers that GUARENTEE authenticity?  I asked the salesmen about that and he conceded that using "those online stores" "MIGHT" lessen the risk... some what.  I'd like to hear what you guys think about this online funny business.  I'm not willing to pay $70 for a Cleveland Launcher Comp IN STORE if I can get it for $20.00/free ship online.

If you have any thoughts on what's better I'd appreciate it.  1. Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme v.  Callaway Big Bertha (2014)  2.  Callaway Hyper X v. Callaway X 460 Tour.  Any help advice or thoughts derived from your personal experience buying/selling used clubs would be highly appreciated.  Thanks!

Having constantly monitored the prices on ebay the past few years I would argue November is actually the cheapest time of the year for used golf clubs (particularly irons). The market is flooded at the end of the season by golfers unloading old clubs they plan to upgrade in the next year. In the spring, everyone has already starting buying for the new season which causes prices go up.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't resist.

I am a relatively new golfer.

As far as I can tell there are no magic golf clubs and have never been.

Par is the same as years ago and I don't see players  being way way under par.

Take this for what you paid for it.

Buy the good deal that you hit well.

As I told someone years ago on another site that I had some expertise in: You need to decide if you want to be a fisherman or a tackle collector. Works for golf as far as I can see.

3 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Having constantly monitored the prices on ebay the past few years I would argue November is actually the cheapest time of the year for used golf clubs (particularly irons). The market is flooded at the end of the season by golfers unloading old clubs they plan to upgrade in the next year. In the spring, everyone has already starting buying for the new season which causes prices go up.

On Craigslist around Phoenix we used to see loads of irons in the early part season because people would buy clubs they can't hit *cough* blades *cough*, or just clubs that weren't fitted or they didn't like and then sell them. That's how I got my nikes before they were stolen.

3 hours ago, Pete F said:

Par is the same as years ago and I don't see players  being way way under par.

I don't buy into the new distance drivers and such, but the forgiveness is definitely a major improvement. I take my old Wooden Woods to the range every once in a while and not only do misfits cause massive distance loss, they just fly horrible as well. The new stuff is definitely helpful to worse players but if Ben hogan could drive a wooden club over 300 then why is it so impressive to driver a super forgiving driver over 300? idk, just my $0.02

Edited by freshmanUTA

hi black and gold . if your looking for used callaway . i would suggest callaway preowned  . as u can be sure they are not counterfeit . i just bought big bertha irons 4-aw and a 3 wood x2hot to finish my set and saved about 40-50 % from new and you have to look close to see they were hit ..also they put new grips on them as well . they have sales as well not sure when though ... i have the x2hot driver and like it very much 9.5 with stiff shaft tour blue adliia shaft . i really like the used clubs and will  buy from them again in the future if the need arises . talor made also has a used site but i have no experience with that .. good luck 

I'm liking this:

7 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

That makes a lot of sense.  Local Retailers may be getting some of the last years models dumped on them when the new clubs start cycling through.  I was thinking about doing the demo days thing to get a taste of what is out there.  The R7 limited and R11 Taylormade Drivers were good to me.  I think a X2 hot/Big Bertha/etc/ect would probably be more forgiving.  Still, I look at the clubs of old... the Cleveland Launcher Comp / Callaway Hawkeye and think: "If I can buy that club for $20... and I can buy newer (used) for $50-$100... hmmm.  Spinning the wheels.  Thanks for the advice though I really appreciate it.

If anyone has a Driver / had a Driver they loved from (2009-2014) let me know about it!  What did you like/didn't like?

Prices on new Callaway Drivers are $399-$499, with the GBB being $449. Less than one year after introduction, one could find the Bertha 815 for $200 on callawaypreowned during their sales, which are spotty during July and then go full steam in Nov-Dec. I'd climb on the earliest great sale for more choice of inventory.

As to the drivers you selected, I have sound/feel/forgiveness issues except for the BB 2014. Still, if you are waiting until Spring, I would look for the 2015 GBB as it is a break-through driver in feel/sound, forgiveness, distance, shaft, face tech, aerodynamics, and the perimeter weighting works better than the 2014. The GBB does everything well. It is a driver one could keep for several years and change shaft if wanted. It launches easy and keeps spin down. Demo and then wait on it.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

7 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Prices on new Callaway Drivers are $399-$499, with the GBB being $449. Less than one year after introduction, one could find the Bertha 815 for $200 on callawaypreowned during their sales, which are spotty during July and then go full steam in Nov-Dec. I'd climb on the earliest great sale for more choice of inventory.

As to the drivers you selected, I have sound/feel/forgiveness issues except for the BB 2014. Still, if you are waiting until Spring, I would look for the 2015 GBB as it is a break-through driver in feel/sound, forgiveness, distance, shaft, face tech, aerodynamics, and the perimeter weighting works better than the 2014. The GBB does everything well. It is a driver one could keep for several years and change shaft if wanted. It launches easy and keeps spin down. Demo and then wait on it.

Thanks so much.  I don't know much about the 2015 GBB but will keep that on the short list.  The BB is going for $60-$80 on various sites.  I will probably check into that come April.  I like the udesign thing too.  The stock blue looks majestic but wondering if it creates glare on those sunny days.  I'm going to do some reseach on the GBB 2015 and probably start saving extra money to afford it.  Thanks again for reaffirming my belief that the BB 2014 might be the best option.  You rule!!

Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!