IGNORED

Shopping for my return to golf

Note: This thread is 2947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Need advice;

I am coming back to the game of golf after a back injury and am finally ready to purchase a new set. All this new technology is confusing and I have roughly a $2000 budget to cover bag, balls, driver, irons etc. My handicap I'm unsure of but a few years ago I was hitting in high 90s. Was using Callaway's 'til I gave them away. Thought I'd never play again! I am looking at Ping G, Taylor Made M2, Callaway xr I think, and a bunch of others. They all say their the best, but what I am after is nice ball height, good feel, and forgiveness ( I tend to slice ).

If you had @ 2 grand what would you buy and why?

Lessons lessons lessons and some used SGI clubs and asst used gear

im thinking about fitted clubs at the end of this year but the truth is, with my game money would be better spent on lessons

Edited by chilepepper

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree on lessons 100%! I would rather learn using clubs I will be playing with for years. wouldn't want to risk the possibility of hindering myself with something used that I will replace in the future. Went the used route before and not doing it again, horrible experience. Never know what hidden damage they have!

If you're looking for some extra height on your irons, that is one of the big focuses of the TaylorMade M2 irons, so you really should take a look at those. The best advice I can give is try to get to a good, well stocked, golf shop and hit as many as you can and get fitted.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With 2 grand I would just go to a local store and hit everything that struck my fancy. You should be able to keep it under $2k fairly easily. I would probably opt for one of the older sets of irons in the $300-$400 range rather than paying for the 'latest and greatest'.

If I had $5k to spend I would still buy used clubs. Technology is changing pretty fast and sometimes it is good to make a change. There is now a whole industry of used clubs.  It is easy to look them and have them delivered to your door. Go hit everything in sight and take the advertising with a grain of salt.  Equipment can only take you so far. Skill can take you anywhere.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!