IGNORED

My Swing (PhishAreFriends)

PhishAreFriends
Note: This thread is 2989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 15 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 10
My typical ball flight is: High and straight
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Push fade/Dead pull

This is a 7 iron from 177 out, into the wind.  Ball ends up about 20 ft left of the pin, on the green.

My question is, posture.  I feel like I am too hunched over, and if you look you can actually see me line up my club on the ball with the heel and actually strike it with the toe side.

Should I stand up straighter at the hips, and move the ball position in closer to me?  Or just don't fix what ain't broke?  I feel like this is probably the reason I am likely to mishit and either slice/fade or pull the ball.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Videos: 

The swing technically looks quite nice. The posture is defiantly the issue. If you want to become more consistent I suspect this could be a missing part of your game. Read the below article on Tiger Woods posture when he was working with Butch. This is arguable the greatest swing off all time. Notice how upright he stands.

http://www.golfswingprescription.com/tigers-winning-posture/

Tiger-Posture Butch.jpg

This is a quick comparison of your position at address.

Golf Swing guy on sandtrap.JPG

Driver: Titleist D13
5 Wood: RBZ First Gen
4 to PW: R9 TP's
Putter: Nike Method
Wedges: Cleveland  

Great post, thank you for the reply and information!  

That image with the line on my swing really puts things into perspective for me.  So if I stand up straighter, would that not cause me to start thinning shots more often?  I'm going to read this article today!

7 minutes ago, PhishAreFriends said:

Great post, thank you for the reply and information!  

That image with the line on my swing really puts things into perspective for me.  So if I stand up straighter, would that not cause me to start thinning shots more often?  I'm going to read this article today!

The article has very little other information in it besides correlating tigers fairways hit with his posture when working with butch but read it if your still looking for more confirmation. 

Yes you could start thinning your shots or not hitting them as consistently but sometimes you need to take two steps back to go three steps forward. It will take time for your body to make the adjustments. Its all about your goals, do you want to get better (which I suspect you do as you have posted on this site) or are you happy with your current handicap and level of play? 

47 minutes ago, Mugs050 said:

The article has very little other information in it besides correlating tigers fairways hit with his posture when working with butch but read it if your still looking for more confirmation. 

Yes you could start thinning your shots or not hitting them as consistently but sometimes you need to take two steps back to go three steps forward. It will take time for your body to make the adjustments. Its all about your goals, do you want to get better (which I suspect you do as you have posted on this site) or are you happy with your current handicap and level of play? 

Very fair point. Funny thing about golf is, just when you fix what you were previously doing wrong, something else goes out of whack.  All about trial and error though.

I'll post my swing from the front, also a 7 iron (don't remember yardage) but this was a slightly unintended fade shot.

Here is a good thread on posture:

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good information in that thread.

I booked a round for tomorrow morning, so I am going to get out to the range this evening and before the round and try to straighten up my posture.  I shot a 79 on Sunday, but I'm just going to go ahead and assume I'll shoot 90 tomorrow with the adjustments.

Will post video tomorrow.

Well, I battled the snow out there this morning.  Practiced on the range for an hour before the round, focusing on trying to stand up more and straighten up my posture.  

Immediately noticed a difference in the "pureness" of my iron shots.  There was still some pretty bad thins I hit, which is to be expected when you change something in your swing, but overall I was very happy with the progress.  Standing up straighter allowed me to get my club on the right path much sooner as well.  Even started drawing a couple balls on the back 9.

Let me know what you guys think, in comparison from the first swing.... keeping in mind this is only 48 hours apart.  Better? Worse?  How does it look?

• Administrator

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Watch your angles, please. Tough to see what's going on.

From the poster frame of the second video, though - your shoulders are well open to the target line at setup. They're in line with the camera, which is WAY right of the toe line.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@PhishAreFriends

Definitely work on your posture. 

You should also read this: https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Watch your angles, please. Tough to see what's going on.

From the poster frame of the second video, though - your shoulders are well open to the target line at setup. They're in line with the camera, which is WAY right of the toe line.

Sorry about that, I didn't realize there were rules for filming, now I know though!

Nice attention to detail, my shoulders are actually in line with the target - it's my feet that are always so closed off.  If it doesn't affect my accuracy at this point, because I know where it's going, do I even need to worry about fixing it?  99% shots that I know feel right coming off the club are right on my target line...

• Administrator
1 minute ago, PhishAreFriends said:

Nice attention to detail, my shoulders are actually in line with the target - it's my feet that are always so closed off.

Uhhhh…?

Your shoulders are pointing WAY left. Your feet are not.

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 3.33.06 PM.png

Your shoulders are pointing where the X is.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Posture defiantly looks better. Have your clubs been fitted? How tall are you? 

10 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Is that Heather Ridge?

Indeed it is!

10 minutes ago, Mugs050 said:

Posture defiantly looks better. Have your clubs been fitted? How tall are you? 

Thank you, I thought it looked better as well - nice to hear some other confirmation of that!

My clubs are fitted.  2 inches extended and 3 degrees upright.

I feel you still could stand a touch closer and a touch taller. I am not a teacher and relatively the same level of golfer as you but that's just my feeling. I am not sure the effects of different body types have on that though, like how long ones arms are compared to body etc. 

Note: This thread is 2989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!