IGNORED

dumb question...flighted shafts

Note: This thread is 6020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

exactly what are flighted shafts? i hit some clubs with flighted rifle shafts today; really liked the feel off the club face; didn't like the higher trajectory. exactly what is the difference between this and my Project X shafts?

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

exactly what are flighted shafts? i hit some clubs with flighted rifle shafts today; really liked the feel off the club face; didn't like the higher trajectory. exactly what is the difference between this and my Project X shafts?

Let's say regular Project X (PX) and Project X Flighted (PXF). I'm not a club maker, all I know about them is the ball flight differences.

In regular PX, the ball flight supposedly will fly according to the shaft flex, club head design, and the way you swing. While in PXF, I believe, they are designed with varied tip flex so that longer shaft gives higher ball flight and shorter shaft gives lower flight. That's why they're likely to be sold as a set, for instance 3-PW. But if you want, you definitely can get them by piece. Some people do this for hard-stepping or soft-stepping. There are also other reasons I don't have knowledge of. I'm sure more knowledgeable members including club makers here can provide in much detailed answer than mine. P.S: If you like the feel (there's a chance because of the club head's design), but not the trajectories I think you need to look for other kind of shafts that have the same characteristics and feel but with lower flight. I was thinking perhaps TT Black Gold?
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

exactly what are flighted shafts?...exactly what is the difference between this and my Project X shafts?...

Chances are your PX shafts are not flighted (But any Rifle shaft can be ordered flighted)

Flighting provides an exaggerated change in kick point within the club set to manipulate ball flight. Long irons have a lower kick point for higher ball flight, easier launch and greater distance. Short irons have a higher kick point for a lower trajectory, greater accuracy and control.
i hit some clubs with flighted rifle shafts today; really liked the feel off the club face; didn't like the higher trajectory.

What you felt was the shaft profile and flex which a good club fitter/builder should be able to replicate.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

thanks for the reponse, that was really helpful. i assume the spin rates on flighted shafts tend to be a bit lower thought, right?

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

thanks for the reponse, that was really helpful. i assume the spin rates on flighted shafts tend to be a bit lower thought, right?

That depends more on the player, club head and ball used. Different players will see different results and will only happen in a few of the shafts but the whole set won't spin less/more

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!