IGNORED

First time on a golf course

ag359
Note: This thread is 5778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK, so I decided to take up golf a couple of months ago. Since then I have had a grand total of five 1 hour lessons, and maybe one practice session at the driving range between each lesson.

It looks like I might have an opportunity to go round a golf course in the next couple of weeks (assuming, amongst other things, that I can borrow some clubs etc).

If I do get a chance to play a round, what would be a realistic target for me? To give you some idea of my ability, I would say that I am of average natural ability but at the moment, if I hit 10 shots on the range with a short iron, 2 will go roughly where they are intended to go, and the rest will be scattered in any direction imaginable! I am also yet to have tried hitting with a driver, so I would probably have to leave that in the bag.

Hi and welcome to the most addictive sport of all!! Have you spoken with the pro who gave you your lessons? He/She knows your "game" and should help you take your first DIVE.Good luck,keep us updated.

OK, so I decided to take up golf a couple of months ago. Since then I have had a grand total of five 1 hour lessons, and maybe one practice session at the driving range between each lesson.

A very reasonable goal - one I'm certain you'll be able to achieve - is to have a good time. To achieve this: * Maintain a good esteem, even if you are hitting the ball everywhere. You're out playing golf in a beautiful park on a beautiful day. Whatever numbers come up are ancillary. * Play from appropriate tees. White probably, red if you feel like it. It doesn't matter what tees your friends are playing. * Don't keep score, or at least don't care about your score. If you get a ten on each hole, so be it. You have future rounds to worry about numbers. * If you insist on keeping score, have an extra line on the scorecard for 'attitude' - and give yourself a smiley face after every hole. By the way, it's a weird thing, but most of us here find out at some point or another that the less you care about your score, the better you do. And yet we can't bring ourselves to not care about score most of the time... For your first time playing 18 holes - whether it's a regulation course or a pitch-and-putt - the score is going to be weird. You might make tens on 17 holes and a birdie somewhere. For now, savor the experience and think of how you'd like to play in the future. Keep some mental images of the holes you like so you can pretend to play them on the driving range: hit a tee shot, hit the shot you think you'd have to hit next, repeat until on the green, then do another hole. In short: have fun. That should be your goal every time you play, but make it your main goal this time. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. And welcome to golf!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

well thanks for the support guys - I will make sure I enjoy myself! And Shindig, thanks for the tips. However, I just know that however hard I try I won't be able to ignore the numbers ('fraid it's just my nature!). Im hoping that I won't completely humiliate myself!

After reading your thread i came to know more about golf courses.I like the tips you have suggested like selecting the appropriate tee,having a good esteem and the important one,giving least priority to the scores.The less we care about score the better we perform in future.Having some mental ideas on the holes so that you can pretend to play them on the driving range.Having fun while playing and the main goal of the game should go in parallel.
Your comment is a kind of boost for an amateur,now they can have a picture in their mind when they go for golf course for the first time.
I have gone through a website which mainly stress on Golf instruction.Tiger Woods is one among the winner of U.S. Amateur Championship who later joined the regular PGA tour.He won the U.S. Amateur Championship at a very early age and immediately joined the PGA tour to break every conceivable record.I suggest you to have a glance at this site and i am sure you can find more information from this site. Nicklaus. http://www.purepointgolf.com/blog/

well thanks for the support guys - I will make sure I enjoy myself! And Shindig, thanks for the tips. However, I just know that however hard I try I won't be able to ignore the numbers ('fraid it's just my nature!). Im

Well, I couldn't take that part of my advice either. I'm a numbers guy.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Make sure you play from the Red Tees!!!

In the Edge Bag:

Driver 8.5* 907D2 with Proforce V2 XS
3 Wood 15* 906F2 with Proforce V2 XS
Hybrid 19* 585.F with Project X XSIrons 3-W X-Forged with Project X 6.5Wedges Oil Can 200 Series 52/08 & Oil Can Spin Milled 56/14Putter Circa 62 #2 (34", 71* Lie, 4* Loft)Ball Pro PlatinumGPS...

Also, Golf is a game of honor. I dislike it when a new golfer comes to me and tells me they shot a 90 for the first time, then I ask them how many mulligans they took and they said ONLY about 5 or 6. You will never know your true handicap if your using mulligans. One mulligan is too many. This was the best advice my Uncle gave me before I started playing. My current true handicap is a 6.3, which is down by 5 points from about a year and a half ago. Never cheat is basically the rule I live by on the Links and I honor that rule everytime I play. Nothing pisses me off more when I see the dreaded foot wedge from the rough or behind a tree when Im playing with someone. and If Im betting with that person, you bet your ass Im calling him on it!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

In the Edge Bag:

Driver 8.5* 907D2 with Proforce V2 XS
3 Wood 15* 906F2 with Proforce V2 XS
Hybrid 19* 585.F with Project X XSIrons 3-W X-Forged with Project X 6.5Wedges Oil Can 200 Series 52/08 & Oil Can Spin Milled 56/14Putter Circa 62 #2 (34", 71* Lie, 4* Loft)Ball Pro PlatinumGPS...

You will never know your true handicap if your using mulligans. One mulligan is too many.

I agree 100%. When I went out a few days ago and played my first round in 15 years, I didn't take a single mulligan. I also counted every drop I had to make after losing a ball. I wound up shooting a 71 for 9 holes but I know that that's exactly what I shot, instead of maybe shooting in the 50-60 range after taking a few mulligans. I also know I'll get better with time and knowing my true score helps to enforce that.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 Bag
Woods: System Q
Hybrid: System Q
Irons: Acer XP905
Ball: Other EquipmentPush Cart: Sun Mountain Speed Cart V1My Home CourseGreen Knoll Golf Course

I agree 100%. When I went out a few days ago and played my first round in 15 years, I didn't take a single mulligan. I also counted every drop I had to make after losing a ball. I wound up shooting a 71 for 9 holes but I know that that's exactly what I shot, instead of maybe shooting in the 50-60 range after taking a few mulligans. I also know I'll get better with time and knowing my true score helps to enforce that.

I totally respect your honesty in scoring but if pace of play is not held up,and you feel you could have done something different,what is the harm of trying it again.You can't draw out the same senario on the range. please remember I am talking about a brand new golfer,and confidence is HUGE.I stress the fact that you must have ample time to try another without slowing pace of play!!

You should aim at breaking 220

In my Bag:

Big Bertha 460 11* Driver
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Staff Hybrid 21* Staff Hybrid 24* Big Bertha 08 5-SW Irons Lob Wedge Vokey Oil Can 60* Newport 2 Studio Style Putter Balls

Yes, forget about the driver - and forget about the long irons too. Don't hit anything higher than a 7 iron and concentrate on getting the ball airborne instead of trying to hit the green in regulation.

In that way you'll much easier get the feeling of playing golf instead of playing around on a golf course!

There is no such thing as a mulligan in golf!

I saw a good piece of advice that could be applicable here. Beginners should try to focus on playing an entire round with one ball. This might not be attainable your first time out (or second, or third, etc) but it's an easy goal to focus on.

Thanks for advice everyone. Am playing at 7am tomorrow. Really nervous!

I hope that you enjoy yourself. That's the important thing. For almost everyone, golf is a recreation; the goal is pleasure not making the cut to feed your family. Relax and have fun. The more you play and practice the better you'll become. No one will think any less of you as a person because your swing isn't as smooth as Erie Els'.

Be sure to check back in and let us know how it went!

-- Michael | My swing! 

What hole are you at now?

In my Bag:

Big Bertha 460 11* Driver
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Staff Hybrid 21* Staff Hybrid 24* Big Bertha 08 5-SW Irons Lob Wedge Vokey Oil Can 60* Newport 2 Studio Style Putter Balls

Note: This thread is 5778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!