IGNORED

GPS, WHY ?

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 23/12/2016 at 4:41 PM, chilepepper said:

I use the Grint app, one buddy uses a rangefinder, another uses a garmin watch. All that tech is within 2 yards of each other. I can see the benefits of all 3. Rangefinder, distances to anything, a plus on practice ranges. iPhone Grint app, I can move the cusor around and be close, close enough for me, along with front middle back of green. gps watch.....its there all the time, nothing to extra to carry particularly on car path only days.

Negatives

laser seems to be the slowest to use.....barely. Phone apps can be spotty in iffy cell coverage areas. GPS watch, a bit more limited info.

pick the tech that suits you

I guess out of the 3 though the phone app is definitely allowed for tourney play, if someone is a serious player? (I dont even know how legal GPS is)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...
On 12/23/2016 at 5:41 PM, chilepepper said:

I use the Grint app, one buddy uses a rangefinder, another uses a garmin watch. All that tech is within 2 yards of each other. I can see the benefits of all 3. Rangefinder, distances to anything, a plus on practice ranges. iPhone Grint app, I can move the cusor around and be close, close enough for me, along with front middle back of green. gps watch.....its there all the time, nothing to extra to carry particularly on car path only days.

Negatives

laser seems to be the slowest to use.....barely. Phone apps can be spotty in iffy cell coverage areas. GPS watch, a bit more limited info.

pick the tech that suits you

I use the Grint app as well and haven't had any problems with it -- seems to be the best of the three choices for laying up to creeks crossing the fairway.

I've also used Swing by Swing and Golf Pad in the past -- both were fine, but they both kept me looking for a better app for some reasons that I can't remember.

Regardless of what app you use, there are definitely erroneous yardages on certain holes on certain courses, either because the tee box/green was moved or someone made a mistake when loading into the GPS database (they probably all use the same golf course GPS database). 

Chris - Single Length Irons Guy

No Driver (yep)
Pinhawk Single Length Fairway Woods ( 3, 5, 7 )
Pinhawk SL Single Length Irons ( 4 thru PW ) 
Pinhawk SL Single Length Wedges ( A, S, L )
Happy Putter

On 5/30/2016 at 7:22 AM, newtogolf said:

I don't "attack pins" as a general practice but on some holes you have to do better than center of the green or you're almost guaranteed to 3 putt.  

I'm not at the point where I can attack a certain point on the green unless I'm under 50 yards.  At 150 I don't really pay attention to certain spots.   I'm just happy to land it somewhere on the green.  

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!