IGNORED

Hybrids

Note: This thread is 5773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you have a hybrid in your bag?

• Yes
    • No
    • Soon!

So guys I have been considering getting a 585.H to replace my 3-Iron with, probably in a True Temper Dynamic Gold S-300 shaft.

I have hit it in the store a little bit and it feels quite nice, can anyone reccomend this club or put me on to another one?

At 160$ its a bit of change for me, as I'm only 16 and I would like to make sure that it is appropriate for someone of my skill level (I shoot low 80's from the blue tees at courses that are mostly in the ballpark of 6700 yards).
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
So guys I have been considering getting a 585.H to replace my 3-Iron with, probably in a True Temper Dynamic Gold S-300 shaft.

Why in steel?

I have hit it in the store a little bit and it feels quite nice, can anyone reccomend this club or put me on to another one?

It's appropriate for your skill level, sure. My review is here:

http://thesandtrap.com/clubs/titleis..._hybrid_review . I suspect you'll love it as I do. The best hybrid I've ever hit. Granted, I've not hit 'em all, but for the single digit player, I have a hard time believing there could be any much better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why in steel?

I was considering steel largely because I need it to fill a distance gap that my inability to maximize my current 3-Iron currently makes.

I want steel rather than graphite because at least from my understanding, and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, I don't consider myself to be a golf guru of any kind, a graphite shaft is going to launch it far enough that it will end up going about the same distance as my 5-Wood. So basically what I'm saying, is that I mainly want it for situations where I would need my 3-Iron distance but a little bit more help in getting a better trajectory. If this is completely illogical I would love to be shown why I am wrong. Thanks for all your help Iacas, you really seem to know your stuff.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

• Administrator
I want steel rather than graphite because at least from my understanding, and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, I don't consider myself to be a golf guru of any kind, a graphite shaft is going to launch it far enough that it will end up going about the same distance as my 5-Wood.

If that's the case, you could always get a higher-lofted hybrid with a graphite shaft. Then, you'd have an even easier-to-hit club with a higher trajectory that fit the gap.

A steel shaft may or may not play just like an iron would. You're going to want to demo a bunch of them - and hit your 5-wood and 4-iron too - to see which combination of shaft and loft fits the gap. Don't just guess and take your 3-iron's loft in a steel shaft and assume it'll go the same as your 3-iron.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have 3 hybrids - 2 Pings and 1 kasco.
Kasco is the easiest to hit. My pings are a lot more solid, probably becase of the Adila shaft.
I would recommend Kasco E- spec. Buy it quick though as there are not many left.
My bag
Driver: R7 Superquad
Hybrid:16 & 19 and Kasco 55
Irons:Pro combo
Wedge: 56Putter: Limited Edition MalletBall: XL3000

• 3 weeks later...
I've been playing the Exotics Ironwood 3h for three rounds and it's very nice - I've tried the Adams Idea Iwood and the A2, Nickent 3DX and Taylor Made R7. It's tough for me to determine if most hybrids should be swung like an iron or a fairway wood but with the Exotics, there is no doubt that it's more like an iron.

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

Just picked up a Heavenwood 3h today and was actually able to hit straight shots on a semi-regular basis if I swang easy - only 150yds but I have no distance yet (JUST started) so I felt good about it. I even got one out to 200yds dead straight so I know if I can get a good swing going it should be a solid distance club for me.

I tried chipping with it and just hit short worm burners - the shaft just seems way too long for it to feel right. Am I missing something or do I just not have a good hybrid for that purpose?
The Good:
Heavenwood 3h
White Steel Two Ball
Orlimar SOS 56deg SW & 60deg LW
The Free:767 Pro Series 3-9iTomahawk 50deg PWKing Cobra 10.5deg Driver (350cc) 10.5deg Intimidator Driver

I'm kind of behind in the hybrid stage. I just don't play as much as I use to, but I'm intrigued by the club. I'm looking at getting a Titleist 585, either a 17 or 19 degree. What are some thoughts about the Titleist 585 ? I'd like to hear some feedback.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

I used to have 2 hybrids in my bag (3 and 4 iron replacements) and they were ruining my game. I got rid of them and have not looked back. I find that I have so many more options with my 3-iron. eg. punch shots etc, low draw of the back foot which hybrids didn't allow me to do. (I am open to the fact that it was possibly me more than the club!) I have also never had trouble hitting the ball high so I simply don't see the point of them.

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

Definately soon. I just can't hit the 3 iron normally so I might as well replace it with something easier. Will provide me more options off the tee too.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

I have a Howson GBH Attacker, while I believe is classed as a hybrid though I do get confused between hybrids and rescue clubs. :(
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

I see there are still some slow learners out there.

I'm not sure if you were referring to me, but I never had a need for the hybrid. I hit my long irons well, and no more than I play each year I didn't feel the need. But since my two youngest children have gotten more interested in golf, I've been at least hitting balls a lot more. I just thought I'd check them out.
play4him

Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

Yes, I love my Cobra Baffler, its 20*, which takes the place of my three iron. I was using the Talor made rescue dual, but I wasnt consistent with it and it was going about as far as my 5 wood was going to I switch to the Baffler, and use it on the 6th tee every time I play at my home course

Driver- 9.5 905R
Woods- V-Steel 15*
Hybrid- Rescue Dual 16*
Irons- 3-P Project X 5.5 Wedges- Vokey 54* and 58* Putter- Scotty Ball- Bridgestone B330-S

Just received my Titleist 585. I'm going out and hit it tonight. Hopefully I'll get comfortable with it, because I have a tournament this weekend.
play4him

Mizuno Fli Hi CLk love it, like the Cobra baffler DWS, lik to try it again to match my iorons, these are my two favorites

Driver: Cobra HS9 X 9.0 YS Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra baffler DWS 16* NV Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra baffler DWS 20* NV Stiff
Irons: King Cobra FP 4-LW
Putter: Cobra Optica SL-01 Ball: Bridgestone B330

I hit my Titleist 585 tonight on the range. I really like the feel of the club. It's very easy to get up in the air, even from a marginal lie. I think I made a very good purchase especially for $65.00. I got a 19 degree with a X-stiff steel shaft.
play4him

Note: This thread is 5773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!