IGNORED

My Swing (Warren Zevon)

Warren Zevon
Note: This thread is 3034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys.  Sorry if the video is a little sloppy.  The chicken wing, 'tis a dreaded thing. 

I've been Playing Golf for: 7 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 26
My typical ball flight is: left to right, or a slight pull to the left

Videos: 

[

]

Corey

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

So, two things, and some bonus third and fourth things…

• How's your grip? Is it palmy? There's very little wrist hinge, which contributes to the flip you've got going on there.
  • You don't have to keep your head down so long.
  • Bonus thing 1: Can you mind your camera angles more the next time you take video?
  • Bonus thing 2: Glad you've decided to join us in the Member Swings threads!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Full disclaimer: Not a professional instructor

However, what I see is that you chicken wing because your body does not give your arms enough room to extend. This happens because you lose your spine angle and have no tilt away from the target. Nearly all good players have some spine tilt away from the target and maintain it all the way through impact. You can even see in a slow-motion of your video that you attempt to get to this position mid-downswing. So that's an easy setup fix. 

Like Iacas said there's no wrist hinge, so the first thing to check would be your grip. I would also take a look at some information on how your arms are supposed to rotate together on the backswing, because as it stands you simply lift them straight up which is not ideal.

Just my two pennies -- hope this does help, however. 

Andrew M.

Thanks for the tips, guys.  I'll do some searching on wrist hinging and maintaining my spine angle.  

I taped my swing a few years ago.  I was hoping there was some improvement, as I hit the ball much better than I did, but damn, it looks nearly exactly the same.  

Corey

41 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

I taped my swing a few years ago.  I was hoping there was some improvement, as I hit the ball much better than I did, but damn, it looks nearly exactly the same.  

Don't be too hard on yourself -- seriously. Unless you are actively trying to change a specific thing about the way you swing the club, nothing is going to change. This goes back to the swings on your poorest shots looking very close, if not exactly, to the same as every other decent or good shot. 

The changes will take time, and you have to power through the temporary timing issues that putting changes into your swing causes!

Andrew M.

Note: This thread is 3034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!