IGNORED

The Putting Game

Matt M
Note: This thread is 5984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Good Bad Average or God like, when I putt

• Good
    • Average
    • God like
    • Bad

I'm interested to know what everyone thinks of their putting game. Please respond to poll and post what your handicap or what you usually shoot. Im a 8 to 9 handicap and I average 33 putts around. I can use some improvement but I do hit a good amount of greens. That average was over 22 rounds of golf so it is what it is.

In the Bag:
Driver:Adams Speedline F11 9 degree RIP Gamma 

3 Wood: Adams Fast 10 15 degrees Voodoo shaft
Hybrid: Irons: Mizuno MP59 Sensicore  XStiff

Wedges: Cleveland Gun Metal 52 56 degree

Putter: Rife: Belly Barbados Tropical

Ball: Titliest Pro V 1

I'm about an 18 handicap, and I average about 29-30 putts per round. I feel like my putting is good, but not great. One reason that my short game is good is because I am very small for my age 15, 5' 0" 105 pounds, so I don't hit the ball that far so my short game needs to be good so I practice that a lot.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

The more you alot time to practice the right way you putt the greater the chances you can still improve . Also the better your short game the more likely you will land your shots closer to the pin for 1 putts . shave 5 strokes off your handi .

I am about a 7 handicap and recently have been very confident with my putting. I feel I can make every putt within 20 feet and two putt any long range putts.

My distance control has improved and I am trying to concentrate on putting with my shoulders and taking my hands out the putts especially the short ones.

I am working on the following on my putting constantly:

1) Distance Control
2) Putting with my shoulders and not my hands
3) Keep a consistent routine prior to putting
4) Positive attitude or confidence that I will make every putt or have a easy tap in on long putts.

Lee Trevino "says keep your putts low"

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

About 7 handicap now.

My putting has been killing me lately. I've been stricking the ball better than ever, especially with my "new" forged Hogans, but my putts have been about 35-36 per round.

When I was younger (9-12) my putting was fantastic but I seem to have forgotten how to now. Hopefully by March I can remember in time for the golf team tryouts.
In My Bag:
Driver: r580XD R flex
3 Wood: Mac Burrows 13*
Irons: Apex 2 iron
Irons: Edge 3-E ('89-92)Wedge: rac TP Satin 56*12Wedge: rac TP Black 60*06Putter: CER Milled CP03 (GolfWorks custom head)Ball: Pro V1 or any other found premimum ball

I'm at about an 18 handicap, and putting is the weakest part of my game. I typically shoot low90s - mid 80s and have anything from 30-40 putts per round (terrible consistency on the greens, I know. but I'm not afraid to admit it).
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I'm interested to know what everyone thinks of their putting game. Please respond to poll and post what your handicap or what you usually shoot. Im a 8 to 9 handicap and I average 33 putts around. I can use some improvement but I do hit a good amount of greens. That average was over 22 rounds of golf so it is what it is.

I'm a 12-15 or somewhere in there. I average about 40-42 putts per round. An excellent day is 37 or less, a bad one, 50. My biggest problem is being unable to get up and down. I can't chip it close enough, although I'm money inside of five feet. And if I'm more than 30 feet away, I've got an annoying tendency to hit the ball 15 feet off line. (I am still not always sure how that happens - usually it's when I a read a break the wrong way, though.)

The closer you get to the hole, the smaller the hole gets.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

My all-time low putt count for a round is 40, but that was definitely a fluke. It's usually closer to 50. I'm fairly confident on anything within 5-10 feet, but beyond that and I'm completely lost. I usually get 1 or 2 Miracle Putts (40 footers with 2 breaks, for example) per round though. For me the most difficult part is reading the greens correctly. More often than not I pull off the putt I intend from a mechanics standpoint, but there's always something on the green I don't take into account and it ends up being a terrible shot.

Not sure what my handicap is?...

But, I know I average between 50-55 strokes on most of my local 9-hole courses. It might take me a few swings to get the ball onto the green, but I can usually sink the ball pretty quickly after that.

That being said, after watching some of the putts even the pro's miss... I'm voting Average

Clubs in my Army-issued duffel-bag...

DTR Irons : 2-9
DCI Wedges : PW 48* & SW 56*
Driver : Mid-Size TP System2 9.5* Metalwood (5) 23*

I'm about an 18 handicap, and I average about 29-30 putts per round. I feel like my putting is good, but not great. One reason that my short game is good is because I am very small for my age 15, 5' 0" 105 pounds, so I don't hit the ball that far so my short game needs to be good so I practice that a lot.

First I would say that thats a good count at first look but. How many greens do you hit in a round? I think this is where golfers get confused on this stat. If you miss a bunch of greens and one putt them, that may not really reflect your putting. It does show you can get up and down. If you mostly have say 8ft or less putts and still end up with 29-30 a round, maybe putting could be better. I've notice that as a player evolves and starts hitting more green their putts per round goes up. This is caused because we end up with longer and longer first putts. I think.

In the Bag:
Driver:Adams Speedline F11 9 degree RIP Gamma 

3 Wood: Adams Fast 10 15 degrees Voodoo shaft
Hybrid: Irons: Mizuno MP59 Sensicore  XStiff

Wedges: Cleveland Gun Metal 52 56 degree

Putter: Rife: Belly Barbados Tropical

Ball: Titliest Pro V 1

Around 34 putts per round. I am a consistent putter, rarely 3 putt, but because I hit only 4-6 GIR I don't have many 30+ footers. If I am inside 30 feet I am rarely more than 3-4 feet away for my second putt.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

i cast my vote for bad. Yesterday I shot 74, 32 putts w/ 13 gir. It doesnt sound so bad but I missed alot of very makeable birdie putts inside 15 feet. My alignment is terrible and I can't seem to fix it. At one point I had a buddy stand behind me to check where I was aimed, 6 inches left on a 10 foot putt. My goal for the winter is to improve from terrible to bad.

I don't usually count putts per round or GIR but I marked "bad" as I miss way to many easy short putts. It is something I need to focus on for '08.
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

First I would say that thats a good count at first look but. How many greens do you hit in a round? I think this is where golfers get confused on this stat. If you miss a bunch of greens and one putt them, that may not really reflect your putting. It does show you can get up and down. If you mostly have say 8ft or less putts and still end up with 29-30 a round, maybe putting could be better. I've notice that as a player evolves and starts hitting more green their putts per round goes up. This is caused because we end up with longer and longer first putts. I think.

They also need to start posting their GIR.

After 3 years I'm not yet ready to start keeping score because of inconsistency. An average would be misleading when you have a 30% standard deviation.

I'm a 9 and my putting has gotten so much better. I was at terrible putter. I recently remodeled my basement and put in a 400 sf putting green on half of it. I drilled 5 holes and cemented cups in. I go down and hit putts for 15 min or so almost daily and it has provided results I would have never expected. I hate to practice and going to the range is never on my radar but this little bit every day is really helpful.

It has also gotten me crazy into putters and I will tell you they make a difference. Not so much on cost but on making sure they fit your stroke and stance.

So yes it might be the putter http://thesandtrap.com/forum /emoticons/tongue.png

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

If you 2 putt every green that is 36 strokes alone.

distance control
putting with your shoulder
make every putt within 2 feet

All the above should built your confidence and bring your putts to about 30 strokes per round.

good luck

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I'm usually good at 6ft on in, putting... but I feel I miss way to many 7-12ft putts. I'm going to work on this hard next season.

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

I voted "God Like", because I feel like I'm definitely better than "good". My last tournament rounds have been really solid, around 27/28 putts and most people that I play with are pretty impressed. I've been steadily improving, but made a big drop in my index this summer (3 pts) primarily because I'm making more putts.

But, it isn't because I'm making 20 footers. The vast majority of putts I make are inside of 10ft, although I usually make at least one bomb a round.

If anyone is interested, I wrote out how I got to where I am with my putting. It's not that long, but I'll send it to anyone that is interested. Drop me a note at jonnygolfremovethis@gmail.com (just remove the "removethis in the address).

Note: This thread is 5984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!