IGNORED

Wedges

Note: This thread is 2795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Still learning how to use many of these clubs. But a quick question about my wedges. Currently have a 60 degree I hit about 50 yards on a full swing. Then I have a 50 I hit about 75 yards on a full swing. Not trying to kill the ball but a good smonth full swing. So my question is do I maybe get a 56 degree wedge to fill the gap or just use the 50 and take a little off? 1 extra club won't harm me at the moment.  Still can't hit my hybrids or woods. But all  a work in progress 

If you can get out of the sand OK with a 60*, I would leave as is.

1 hour ago, OoAaronoO said:

... Still can't hit my hybrids or woods. But all  a work in progress 

Since you are just starting out, have you had any lessons? A couple of lessons with a good golf pro could really help you get your swing basics down.

If your swing stabilized, it would help you decide what you needed for wedges.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You will eventually want a sand wedge; but there is a lot to be said for developing the ability, and confidence, to play a variety of shots with a single club.  Doing so will help you to define what, if anything, you are looking for.  

• Upvote 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

16 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

If you can get out of the sand OK with a 60*, I would leave as is.

Since you are just starting out, have you had any lessons? A couple of lessons with a good golf pro could really help you get your swing basics down.

If your swing stabilized, it would help you decide what you needed for wedges.

I had a few lessons. To work on my driver. Haven't made it back to another lesson in a month or 2.

Do you know the loft of your PW and how far that goes?  This will help you figure what you need for gap filling.  My PW is 47 and I use a 51 GW and a 58 SW.  I play 1/2 and 3/4 swings with all three clubs and have them dialed in pretty good to cover anything from 120 in.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

Do you know the loft of your PW and how far that goes?  This will help you figure what you need for gap filling.  My PW is 47 and I use a 51 GW and a 58 SW.  I play 1/2 and 3/4 swings with all three clubs and have them dialed in pretty good to cover anything from 120 in.

44 is the loft on my pw. Wanna say I can get 100 yds on it

Edited by OoAaronoO

If you can do 100 with PW, 75 with the 50* and 50 with the 60* you are doing pretty good.  I would suggest learning 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 swings vs getting another wedge.  These partial strokes can come in handy and will give you more shots with other clubs as you learn the strokes.  IE- A bump and run with a 7 or 8 iron when you are not sure what wedge to use or a low stinger with a 3 or 4 iron to stay under trees.

10 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

If you can do 100 with PW, 75 with the 50* and 50 with the 60* you are doing pretty good.  I would suggest learning 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 swings vs getting another wedge.  These partial strokes can come in handy and will give you more shots with other clubs as you learn the strokes.  IE- A bump and run with a 7 or 8 iron when you are not sure what wedge to use or a low stinger with a 3 or 4 iron to stay under trees.

Alighty.thanks for the help. Now I gotta learn this 3 hybrid and driver. Lol. A never ending battle

Glad to help.  If you are having a hard time with the Driver a 3 Wood off the Tee works good till you can hit the D.

I played a 3W for a few years when I couldn't hit my Driver.  Put in a lot of range work to get better with the Driver and now I can hit it pretty good.  As for Hybrids.... I cant hit them at all.  I like my 3 iron!!!:-D

On 8/22/2016 at 8:43 AM, Vinny Cap said:

Glad to help.  If you are having a hard time with the Driver a 3 Wood off the Tee works good till you can hit the D.

I played a 3W for a few years when I couldn't hit my Driver.  Put in a lot of range work to get better with the Driver and now I can hit it pretty good.  As for Hybrids.... I cant hit them at all.  I like my 3 iron!!!:-D

I had/have the opposite problem; a playable driver shot wasn't too hard for me, but I might only manage 1 decent 3w shot out of every 4 tries. My 4h was a little easier to hit once I started treating it like an iron, but that tiny hitting area on these clubs requires really good consistency and ball striking just to get the ball to move forward more than 10 yards at a time.

At the same time, you have that "this is a distance club, better grip it and rip it" mentality, especially when you need a good shot to make up for a poor tee shot, and it takes discipline to back it off and focus on a controlled, straight shot.

Note: This thread is 2795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!