IGNORED

Desirable spin rates for irons

Note: This thread is 2726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all, long time, no post......  I just went through an iron fitting a few weeks ago, and was curious about ideal spin rates and launch numbers.  I tried a few different sets from Cally, Ping and TM and ended up getting recommended into the Apex line, the CF16 4&5, and the Pro16 6 to AW.  It was a swinglabs fitting.  My average numbers for the 6 iron were 4144rpm spin rate and 17.9 degrees launch angle with a 45.6 degree descent angle and a smash factor of 1.45.  Averaged 182.5 carry with an 82.5mph swing speed.  Do these numbers jive?    This was my first time getting fit for any sort of club (not to mention my first set of brand new irons), and am curious before I go back to get fit for exact specs for each club.

1 hour ago, moparman426 said:

Hey all, long time, no post......  I just went through an iron fitting a few weeks ago, and was curious about ideal spin rates and launch numbers.  I tried a few different sets from Cally, Ping and TM and ended up getting recommended into the Apex line, the CF16 4&5, and the Pro16 6 to AW.  It was a swinglabs fitting.  My average numbers for the 6 iron were 4144rpm spin rate and 17.9 degrees launch angle with a 45.6 degree descent angle and a smash factor of 1.45.  Averaged 182.5 carry with an 82.5mph swing speed.  Do these numbers jive?    This was my first time getting fit for any sort of club (not to mention my first set of brand new irons), and am curious before I go back to get fit for exact specs for each club.

I don't know if it's different with new iron technology (lower CG / springy faces), but I've always heard the iron number x 1000 to be the ballpark target for spin. That may be with avg driver swing speed of ~ 110 mph, though. Do you swing about 100 mph with driver? If so, the rpm for the 6 iron seem a bit low to me with the 'ideal' within of few 100 rpm of 6000.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

3 hours ago, moparman426 said:

My average numbers for the 6 iron were 4144rpm spin rate and 17.9 degrees launch angle with a 45.6 degree descent angle and a smash factor of 1.45. 

I have never had an iron fitting but have spent some time on a monitor with a driver.  Do irons read that much different?  With a 9° driver I can get 12-15 degrees launch angle and 1000-2000 rpms.  How does a 25-30 degree club only launch at 18°?  I know you hit down on irons but up on a driver, but does it really take that much launch angle off?

The rule of thumb I've heard from a few different pros is 1000 RPM per number on the iron, so a five-iron should be in the 5000rpm range, an 8 somewhere around 8000rpm etc. These aren't hard targets, of course, and spin will plateau as you get to the wedges; shorter swing speeds and only so much time the ball can be in contact with the clubface to get the spin will mean a dropoff in the spin rate increase as you move beyond the 9-iron.

The fitter pointed out that I have a bit of a late release, so maybe that is contributing to the lower launch angle.  Maybe that also contributes to the lower spin numbers I was getting?  The Ping G and the TM M2 were even worse, both in the 13 degree launch range.  I'm not overly worried about the launch angle, so long as the descent angle is where it should be.  I was swinging fairly easy, as these were regular flex shafts (I'm trying to slow my iron swing down for more control).  He recommended a ProjectX 5.5 at +.5" and a medium size grip with an extra wrap.  Maybe these will help a bit as well.

9 minutes ago, moparman426 said:

The fitter pointed out that I have a bit of a late release, so maybe that is contributing to the lower launch angle.  Maybe that also contributes to the lower spin numbers I was getting?  The Ping G and the TM M2 were even worse, both in the 13 degree launch range.  I'm not overly worried about the launch angle, so long as the descent angle is where it should be.  I was swinging fairly easy, as these were regular flex shafts (I'm trying to slow my iron swing down for more control).  He recommended a ProjectX 5.5 at +.5" and a medium size grip with an extra wrap.  Maybe these will help a bit as well.

Yes, a late release (keeping the hands in front) will de-loft the clubface and lower your launch.

Don't forget the shaft dynamics.

I reshafted my irons with NS Pro 8950 GH R-flex. It's a lower spin shaft, but it launches the ball really high and the shot checks up if I hit it cleanly.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!