IGNORED

How Does Confidence Correlate to Enjoyment of the Game?

JonMA1
Note: This thread is 2719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

52 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

The OP's question is strange to me. Because typically confidence is used in context of scoring, performance, results, etc. But he's asking how it relates only enjoyment.

Exactly. All those other things are relevant to confidence (scoring, performance, results, etc.), but my original post was asking if it affected the enjoyment aspect - specifically.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but the type of confidence I was talking about is long term, say a span of a dozen rounds or a couple months, which may even include some higher scoring rounds. Quite different than those instances when I'm inexplicably "on" for a single round. Hope that makes sense.

1 hour ago, jkelley9 said:

I certainly think, personally, that I need to be confident in my swing/game in order to enjoy golf. But I don't necessarily need to PERFORM well.

Same with me. If I have a single crappy round sandwiched in between a bunch of good rounds, that one round won't necessarily wreck my confidence nor will it piss me off... as much. Now, if I have a few bad rounds in a row where I'm having trouble with good contact, that's a different story. Even then, when a little extra work/practice can bring things back around, my confidence goes back up, along with my enjoyment.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Im sure the two do correlate in some way. Because if you're confident, you're probably playing well. Golf is mostly a vehicle for competition for me, and competition is where i get the most joy from the game. Ive shot 2-3 under in casual rounds and didn't feel much of anything in terms of excitement. Matter of fact, it feels like i waste a round when i do that, because i only shoot under par a handfull of times a year. But when i shoot a really good score at a tournament i get a buzz like high. It gives me so much confidence i usually go out and shoot 6 strokes higher the next day. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

Note: This thread is 2719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!