IGNORED

Ready for a new set of Clubs

Note: This thread is 2700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like the Mizuno JPX 900 Tours. I've tried their 6 iron at 1" over.  Previously, I had an old set of cavity back Dynaflex players irons, by a local club fitter, with stiff flex steel shafts at 1" over in shaft length. I'm getting fit for a set of MizunoJPX 900 Tours 4-PW at 1" +. My swing speed is 79 mph. That puts me on the borderline between Stiff and Regular flex. My club fitter feels that with 1" over it might be best to go with the stiff flex. This Chart shows that I am on the right track as far as club length is concerned. I'm not quite generating enough club head speed to merit a 4 iron, but I  figure that I can put some lead tape behind the 4 iron and see how it works out. If I realize that I can't hit the 4 iron very well I'll plan on getting Mizuno hybrids that match up to the 3 and 4 irons. 

It is important to expect nothing, to take every experience, including the negative ones, as merely steps on the path, and to proceed.”. Ram Dass

If you like the feel of the 4i but can't quite get a good launch, consider these options:

• Softstep the shaft: Get a shaft tip-trimmed for 3i, put it into the 4i and butt-trim it to length. This will increase the length of the flexible tip area, which softens the flex by three FCM units, and helps out with launch.
  • Put a lighter weight graphite shaft into the 4i.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for these great ideas. I was also considering getting the 4 iron, and possibly a 3 iron, in a more forgiving club, like the JPX 900 Forged or even the JPX 900 Hot Metal. HERE

It is important to expect nothing, to take every experience, including the negative ones, as merely steps on the path, and to proceed.”. Ram Dass

I have a few questions for you here so apologies for that.

1. What shafts are you getting?

2. Do you know what bend profile you need in a shaft?

3. Have you been properly measured for extra length on your shaft? Just because your a certain height, that doesn't mean you need a certain extension length. Everyone is different.

4. If you have been measured how exactly did they do it?

5. Why are you getting those particular irons?

7 hours ago, mando235 said:

I have a few questions for you here so apologies for that.

1. What shafts are you getting?

2. Do you know what bend profile you need in a shaft?

3. Have you been properly measured for extra length on your shaft? Just because your a certain height, that doesn't mean you need a certain extension length. Everyone is different.

4. If you have been measured how exactly did they do it?

5. Why are you getting those particular irons?

I was fitted by John Kelly here in St. Louis years ago. I've been playing 1" over clubs for a long time. According to what I've learned from playing 1"+ for the last years and THIS CHART I'm on the right track. I'll go over the length again when I meet my clubfitter  for a proper fitting. I've tried the Ping iblade, the Titleist 716 AP2 and the Mizuno JPX 900 Tour clubs. I liked the AP2s but not as much as I like the Mizuno JPX 900s. Since I last posted I'm leaning toward putting together a mixed set of the Mizuno JPX 900 Tour in either 5-PW or 6-PW and use the Mizuno JPX 900 Forged to make up the longer irons. MORE HERE   Based on Mizuno's software, my club fitter gave me three or four different shafts to choose from. I can't find the paper that I had the different shafts written on or I'd share that information. don't plan to stress over this. It's really easy to overthink and obsess to the point that I am never confident with my equipment, constantly churning through expensive club options searching for the perfect clubs. This game is mostly about my swing, not my clubs. Whatever I buy,  my game will mold around that set and become natural to me.

Update:

I'm leaning toward a mixed set. It may be 6-PW in the Mizuno JPX 900 Tour and 4-5 in the JPX Forged (more forgiving). Another option would be to go 5-PW in the Tour and a 4 iron in the Forged .

I think it'd be a very wise move to spend time finding an ideal shaft. I know you said you don't want to spend too much time fussing over it but the shaft is arguably the most important part of the club, it's the engine. Imo you should definetly look into graphite. 

What exactly is the thinking behind the mixed set idea?

On 11/30/2016 at 5:23 AM, mando235 said:

What exactly is the thinking behind the mixed set idea?

A mixed set gives you easier-to-hit longer irons, and more compact-headed shorter irons (the scoring clubs). A better player can use more aggressive heads in the shorter irons because the shafts are shorter, and easier to control.

Through the years, various manufacturers have come up with iron sets designed with varied head types (muscleback short irons, player's cavity mid, and cavity back short).

TitleistZBlend.jpg

One such model was the Titleist Z-Blend Forged irons (2008), shown above.

For tour pros, check out Kevin Kistner's bag. He has a utility iron as a 2i, and Apex Pro 4-9i. Many pros use a hybrid in place of a user-friendly long iron.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

HERE is Jason Bohn's mixed irons. He uses Titleist AP 1 for his 4 & 5 irons and AP 2  in the 6 - 9. If you look at Jordan Speith's clubs you will find that he uses the AP 1 in his 4 iron and AP 2 in his 5-9 irons.

Note: This thread is 2700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!