IGNORED

titleist AP1 716 5 iron

Note: This thread is 2698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking to purchase the 716 AP1 irons and noticed that the loft is generally lower than other irons. I do not hit my 4 iron well on my current club and notice that the 716 AP1 5 iron has a loft similar to a 4 iron. Has other golfers purchased this set and started with 6 iron and go 6-pw,w, using a hybrid on the low end and wedges on the high end?

I have the AP1 712 and the 5-iron is only 1* different from the 716. These AP1 are offset (center of gravity further back) and tungsten weighted, they are pretty easy to get up in the air, even on thin strikes or toe strikes.

I remember comparing other mfg specs on irons and some are even much stronger than the AP1. FWIW, my set was 5-P matched (used). Although, I have since added a 4-iron and I am learning to hit that, pretty enjoyable.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Paul2440 said:

I am looking to purchase the 716 AP1 irons and noticed that the loft is generally lower than other irons. I do not hit my 4 iron well on my current club and notice that the 716 AP1 5 iron has a loft similar to a 4 iron. Has other golfers purchased this set and started with 6 iron and go 6-pw,w, using a hybrid on the low end and wedges on the high end?

You say you struggle with your current 4-iron, but if you hit your 5-iron well I would think you also can hit the AP1 5-iron well even though it has  a stronger loft.  It has design properties that likely launch higher than your current irons, and is likely the same length as you current 5-iron.  Companies are more consistent with iron lengths than lofts.

That being said there is certainly nothing wrong with starting at 6-iron and using hybrids above if that is your preference.

Edited by allenc

1 hour ago, Paul2440 said:

Below is my review. 

https://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/titleist_716_ap1_review

I explain the loft. 

Because the new 716 AP1 launches higher, Titleist lowered the lofts to keep the same launch angle. It is misconception that companies lower the club loft to get more distance through lower launch and more roll out. If a head has a lower center of gravity and launches higher, companies like Titleist lower the head loft to get the same optimum launch angle. More distance comes from faster ball speeds, which will give more carry.

The AP1 are really nice clubs. I've played them all year. I have the 4-iron but play the Titleist 915H 4 hybrid most of the time. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thank you for the responses. When looking on the website the lofts just threw me off and i forgot that the length will be the same. The review was very informative. Thanks again to all.

Been playing this irons for a few month. I would love to have the 3i too, but only play from 4i to W.
I used to carry 190 yards with my 4iron from a previous set of ping clubs, now hit the same distance with the titleist 716 ap1 4iron. Loft it´s stroker but the ball flys higher. Love them.

Note: This thread is 2698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!