Note: This thread is 2654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This isn't exactly "a what kind of driver should I buy" post, but I am in the market for a newer driver. I just don't know anything about the technology changes between those of a few years ago and the ones coming out now. I also don't know much in the way of whether drivers are designed with a player's skill level in mind, much in the way the irons are.

Looking through eBay, there are some Titleist driver models for sale that seem to be just a few years old for less than $100. For example, is the 913 D2 no longer a good driver? I'm not looking for a Titleist in particular, just that their website indicated the years those clubs were introduced.

As far as trying before I buy, there is only one golf store within a two hour drive so I'm kind of limited. They don't have much in the way of used clubs and their new drivers are pretty much at MSRP.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

I just don't know anything about the technology changes between those of a few years ago and the ones coming out now. I also don't know much in the way of whether drivers are designed with a player's skill level in mind, much in the way the irons are.

A lot of drivers are more geared towards lower spin now. This is more beneficial to higher swing speeds unless you are willing to get a lower spin driver with a higher loft. 

Example, PGA Tour players use to hit 8 degree or lower drivers. Now they hit drivers in the 10-11 degree range. 

I would say there is a wider range of drivers out there for all the skill levels available. 

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Looking through eBay, there are some Titleist driver models for sale that seem to be just a few years old for less than $100. For example, is the 913 D2 no longer a good driver? I'm not looking for a Titleist in particular, just that their website indicated the years those clubs were introduced.

No, the 913 D2 is a solid driver. 

I'll put it this way. The only thing that changes on drivers are the spin profile, the launch profile, and increasing the sweet spot of the driver. Actually today the center of the driver face is the thicker part because to make them more forgiving they make the edges thinner and if the center is as thin it would be non-conforming. 

The difference between the 915 to the 913 is probably a few hundred RPM, and maybe slightly more forgiving on off-center hits. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

A lot of drivers are more geared towards lower spin now. This is more beneficial to higher swing speeds unless you are willing to get a lower spin driver with a higher loft. 

Example, PGA Tour players use to hit 8 degree or lower drivers. Now they hit drivers in the 10-11 degree range. 

I would say there is a wider range of drivers out there for all the skill levels available. 

No, the 913 D2 is a solid driver. 

I'll put it this way. The only thing that changes on drivers are the spin profile, the launch profile, and increasing the sweet spot of the driver. Actually today the center of the driver face is the thicker part because to make them more forgiving they make the edges thinner and if the center is as thin it would be non-conforming. 

The difference between the 915 to the 913 is probably a few hundred RPM, and maybe slightly more forgiving on off-center hits. 

Thanks Matt. That's some good information.

At $300 - $500, I'm not getting a brand new driver anytime soon. So I'll have to deal with slightly higher spin rate and a less forgiving club - although George's review of the new Mizuno JPX-EZ driver got me thinking how nice it would look in the bag;-). (https://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/mizuno_jpx_ez_driver_review)

As you might imagine, I have a slower swing speed (never had my swing speed measured, but the ball speed off my current driver was topping out at 140mph two years ago). If I'm not mistaken, the flex of the shaft has a lot to do with swing speed.

One more question, how good are the chances of a name brand driver from eBay being a counterfeit?

Jon

12 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

As you might imagine, I have a slower swing speed (never had my swing speed measured, but the ball speed off my current driver was topping out at 140mph two years ago). If I'm not mistaken, the flex of the shaft has a lot to do with swing speed.

Not a hard fast rule. There is no industrial standard to golf shaft flex. 

13 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

One more question, how good are the chances of a name brand driver from eBay being a counterfeit?

I'm not sure, probably more-so than other websites. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

If your in a buy before you try situation I'd look at adjustable drivers for sure. You could look at various manufacturers and see if they have a chart for recommended shafts based on your swing speed

On 12/26/2016 at 1:57 PM, chilepepper said:

If your in a buy before you try situation I'd look at adjustable drivers for sure. You could look at various manufacturers and see if they have a chart for recommended shafts based on your swing speed

Thanks for the suggestions. I want to do at least some research before I buy - even if it's a used club. I just don't know very much about drivers. I also don't know what my swing speed is, only that I'm not very far. I don't think I'm ready for a senior flex. Regular should be ok, but who knows.

I've always hated the idea of going into the golf store to get information or try out clubs and then buying somewhere else. Seems like a crappy thing to do. But the one golf shop in this area is now under new ownership and I've always liked the guy who bought it. I might go talk to him.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

I put a Titleist 915 D2 driver on layaway today. It's a demo that didn't look like anyone had ever tried out. Not a single scratch or ball mark on it.

It's a 12° that will adjust down to 11.25° (I think). Hopefully the higher loft was the right choice. I also went with the Diamana S+ Blue 60 in regular flex. I may switch shafts once I pay in full. 

I thought his price of $175 was fair as I've been looking on Ebay and most of the ones in that price range are fairly scratched up. Plus, I'd rather give this local shop my business.

Anyway, my old Adams driver is becoming beat up and the hosel is starting to separate from the shaft. So it was either buy something newer or put money into a club that's several years older.

Jon

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/search.php?search_query=wednesdaydeal

Same boat as you and have been watching this special on RBG the last couple of days now. Lots of newer models under $150, zero concerns with counterfeit knock-offs or misleading condition descriptions.

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

I have fair collection of drivers, most I purchased when they became superseded models, save a packet, I have a Titleist 915D2 nice driver but found the Diamana red shaft not very impressive for distance I changed it to a Matrix speed rul z totally different driver. But my Aero burner non adjustable 10.5 deg is still gives me longest drives, some straight some in the brush.:8)

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

12 hours ago, Joey G said:

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/search.php?search_query=wednesdaydeal

Same boat as you and have been watching this special on RBG the last couple of days now. Lots of newer models under $150, zero concerns with counterfeit knock-offs or misleading condition descriptions.

Yeah, I just ordered a Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme for $90.

My first big name brand club, actually. Usually prefer to get a club made to the right size and specs, rather than buy off the rack. But it won't cost too much to just have the shaft trimmed. And all the other adjustment I'll need is built in. With the weight ports, I'll be able to adjust the swing weight back up after it has been cut down. Golfworks still has after-market weights for this club if I need them.

3 hours ago, acerimusdux said:

Yeah, I just ordered a Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme for $90.

My first big name brand club, actually. Usually prefer to get a club made to the right size and specs, rather than buy off the rack.

Congrats on the new driver. Sounds like a decent deal. 

This was my rationalization for getting something at a golf shop, even if it was a demo. I could have bought something for a little less money at one of the box stores but wanted to give this a try.

It's not that the Adams driver I had was a cheap club. I bought it on eBay for $50 but it served me well for the last 4 years. I might have it repaired and either donate it or give to one of my sons.

13 hours ago, 65ross said:

I have fair collection of drivers, most I purchased when they became superseded models, save a packet, I have a Titleist 915D2 nice driver but found the Diamana red shaft not very impressive for distance I changed it to a Matrix speed rul z totally different driver. But my Aero burner non adjustable 10.5 deg is still gives me longest drives, some straight some in the brush.:8)

I'll talk to the owner about a real fitting before I take the new driver home. He has several shafts and he basically left it up to me as to which one I wanted. But the smart thing would be to try them all out on the simulator. I feel good about the club head, I want to feel like I made a good choice on the shaft as well. I think he'll help me with that as well as the adjustments. As I said in my OP, I know next to nothing about this stuff.

BTW, there was a review of drivers from 2015 and the Aero Burner was the longest of the drivers they tested. http://www.golfwrx.com/288143/2015-gear-trials-best-drivers/

Jon

I finally picked up the new 915 today. As expected, the owner had me take some swings on the simulator. Good thing. We ended up switching shafts from the Diamana Blue 60 to the Red 50. Was having some issues getting the ball up, even with the 12° loft. The new shaft made a difference.

When I got home, I couldn't help but hit a couple (dozen) balls.

Overall, I'm a little underwhelmed but I wasn't expecting any kind of substantial change. I haven't swung a driver in months and I was a little nervous that I'd dent it. I was hitting the center of the face but really only hit a couple that felt good. Consistently pushed most of my shots -  just a lack of club face control.

Anyway, it's something I had to find out for myself. The driver is brand new and it's a quality club. I'm looking forward learning to hit this club in the Spring.

Jon

Note: This thread is 2654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!