IGNORED

Metal Detectors? Anyone?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

The F4 is the top rated metal detector around the Web, including this site (which, yeah, I wouldn't trust on its own)… http://www.toptenreviews.com/electronics/family/best-metal-detectors/ .

My father-in-law has been wanting to get a metal detector since I've known him. His birthday is the same as mine (in March), and my wife and I are interested in just getting him one, finally. He's in his 70s now, and he really enjoys riding the SONDORS bike we got him, so that keeps him active, but this would be more so. He's always liked looking in melted snow piles for stuff people have lost, etc. I think he'd get a kick out of this.

That said, I don't know if we need to spend $400. If it's worth it, I'm happy to do so. I appreciate quality, ease of use, etc. But I'm hopeful that there are some other metal detector people here who can make some recommendations or offer some guidance.

Any tips?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You definitely need the fancy depth, pinpoint, and discriminatory modes. I've tried my hand at metal detecting with a basic model and it gets old real fast. You don't want to waste time digging plugs for things unless you can know for sure they are worthwhile.

I would only recommend a basic model for beach use because scoops will eliminate most of that hassle anyway.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• 1 month later...

There are a lot of metal detectors in the market but I recommend Garrett Ace 250 Pro. It has some wonderful features and it's very easy to use.

Bounty Hunter is also the very good name in the metal detector market but if we compare with Garrett then o think Garrett is batter. you can compare metal detectors here http://metaldetectorboss.com/

Edited by Mr Barton
To Provide Exact answer

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2017 at 11:28 AM, iacas said:

The F4 is the top rated metal detector around the Web, including this site (which, yeah, I wouldn't trust on its own)… http://www.toptenreviews.com/electronics/family/best-metal-detectors/ .

My father-in-law has been wanting to get a metal detector since I've known him. His birthday is the same as mine (in March), and my wife and I are interested in just getting him one, finally. He's in his 70s now, and he really enjoys riding the SONDORS bike we got him, so that keeps him active, but this would be more so. He's always liked looking in melted snow piles for stuff people have lost, etc. I think he'd get a kick out of this.

That said, I don't know if we need to spend $400. If it's worth it, I'm happy to do so. I appreciate quality, ease of use, etc. But I'm hopeful that there are some other metal detector people here who can make some recommendations or offer some guidance.

Any tips?

iacas - Do you still need help with the metal detector?

I just saw this.  You can PM me if you need more info.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

iacas - Do you still need help with the metal detector?

I just saw this.  You can PM me if you need more info.

No we gave it to him in February or so.

Thanks, though. 

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You're welcome.  Curious if you did get him the F4 or something else?

Hope he likes what you got him, uses it and has found some cool finds.

• Administrator

Yeah, the F4 or the F5.

Just looked. F4.

Cool.  The F4 is a nice machine.  Better for a beginner than the F5.  Lots of tweaking on the F5 with dials.  Push buttons and a simpler menu on the F4 make it easier to learn.

Detecting is fun like golf.  Turn off that darn cell, get out and enjoy nature!

I picked up a Garrett Ace 350 for about $300 a few years ago. I've found some really cool stuff seeing I live in an area that had plenty of action during the Civil War.

Buffalo Nickel tail.jpg

Button with I.jpg

CW_Button_2.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

Bullet.jpg

Toy_gun.JPG

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!