IGNORED

Tour Players Want More Money from USGA

iacas
Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/rex-hoggard/playing-percentages-tour-players-look-us-open-purse/

Even with that bump, however, the men’s cut of the Fox Sports deal is about 13 percent annually. Remember, there were many who weren’t pleased that the players’ portion of the new NBA deal remained at roughly 50 percent but accepted it because of the massive increase in TV rights.

One player who spoke at the meeting and requested anonymity because of the potential for future negotiations said the concern goes deeper than simply a fair share of the TV rights, and that players want a say in future venues and how the championship is run, pointing out last year’s rules snafus at both the U.S. Open and Women’s Open.

It’s unclear how far the players would be willing to take a potential negotiation with the USGA or any of the game’s other ruling bodies.

“Let’s be honest, we’re not going to boycott a major,” one player said.

Uhhh, yeah. Good luck with that one, guys.

I encourage those who want to respond to read the original article.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting.

The article's focus on revenue % is silly.  NBA players receive 50% of total revenue, not just revenue from TV deals, in a league where there are other significant revenue streams.  Also, the NBA was trying to determine a revenue split between two profiting entities: players and owners.  Say what you want about the USGA, but they are a non-profit dedicated to spreading the game (again, at least in theory), which is a bit different from the owner(s) of an NBA team.

For a few other reasons, too, it's a stupid comparison, and it detracted (for me) from the main question, which is who should "control" the venues, etc...the players or the USGA.

I agree with @iacas; it's quite unlikely that the USGA cedes any control on that end.

- John

I wonder if they sense weakness after the USGA made a new rule specifically to avoid what happened with DJ last year. I also feel like if Tour players want to more money, they should probably talk to the PGA Tour. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!