Jump to content
IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)


woodzie264
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...
  • Moderator
5 hours ago, iacas said:

Looking better. Does it look like that with a ball?

Thanks. It's still very much conscious effort with regards to not dipping my head during the turn (which I still do, even in the most recent video). 

Yes - but I get your point. I rarely get to the range (1-2/month), but I'll video the next time I go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I'd work on two things IF the centered pivot stuff is working without having to think about it too much…

Set up with the handle a bit lower, and get your finger off the shaft (extended down the shaft).

01.jpg

Try to turn through keeping your head and left hip/butt closer to their respective "walls".

02.jpg

These don't need to be perfect, some EE is fine… but you likely have a bit more than you want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

Thanks, @iacas. I do feel like the turn itself is becoming subconscious so I hope to make some improvements on your new recommendations. 

I knew the finger down the shaft would get addressed...I've recently revisited that after having a couple of bad rounds because that seems helps my timing at impact (thus my accuracy), but I will certainly get away from that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
On 6/23/2017 at 0:12 PM, iacas said:

Try to turn through keeping your head and left hip/butt closer to their respective "walls".

02.jpg

These don't need to be perfect, some EE is fine… but you likely have a bit more than you want.

Is there something I'm doing in my set up that is causing me to EE (not sure what that means, but I think it means that I'm coming off my walls) or is it just a swing tendency independent of my set up?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Is there something I'm doing in my set up that is causing me to EE (not sure what that means, but I think it means that I'm coming off my walls) or is it just a swing tendency independent of my set up?

No. Just something you have to work on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • iacas changed the title to My Swing (woodzie264)
  • 2 months later...
  • Moderator

After a few months off from a shoulder replacement, I've played a couple of 9-hole rounds (with abbreviated swings) and am ready to resume my swing improvements.

I have put up a 10'x15' net in my back yard and am excited about the prospect of getting better. I hope to have a video up by the end of the week.

It's nice to be back. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2017 at 10:38 AM, woodzie264 said:

I see my swing is steeper in the last video than in previous ones :cry:

I know the feeling of working on one thing and other things leaking! I know you're working the centered hip portion, so it's probably ok that you're getting a little steeper, as you can work on that another time.

As for the centered turn, I'm seeing in the DTL view that your head is dipping on your backswing, and you move closer to the ball:

Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 10.22.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-17 at 10.22.48 PM.png

When I work on my centered turn, I think of my upper torso as staying fairly stable (both forward/back and up/down), which mostly leads to my head staying somewhat where it is. I like to think of my shoulders as rotation around that upper torso. Just thought I'd throw out a feel that seems to work for me.

Another feel: I've tried to go right from address to a good impact position, checking that my head doesn't move too far in any direction. If the impact head position feels good, and it mostly matches my address position, then it stands to reason that my head should be relatively in the same place at the top of the backswing than it was when I go from address directly to impact. Therefore, in the photos above, one of the two can't match the impact position (since they're so different). I think if you look closely at impact of your DTL video, your head actually goes back closer to where it started at address. So the movement toward the ball at the top of the backswing is likely extraneous.

Just my two cents. Hang in there and good luck sticking with it. I'll join you again in the practice challenge thread, I promise!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
(edited)
20 hours ago, RandallT said:

I know the feeling of working on one thing and other things leaking! I know you're working the centered hip portion, so it's probably ok that you're getting a little steeper, as you can work on that another time.

As for the centered turn, I'm seeing in the DTL view that your head is dipping on your backswing, and you move closer to the ball:

Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 10.22.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-17 at 10.22.48 PM.png

When I work on my centered turn, I think of my upper torso as staying fairly stable (both forward/back and up/down), which mostly leads to my head staying somewhat where it is. I like to think of my shoulders as rotation around that upper torso. Just thought I'd throw out a feel that seems to work for me.

Another feel: I've tried to go right from address to a good impact position, checking that my head doesn't move too far in any direction. If the impact head position feels good, and it mostly matches my address position, then it stands to reason that my head should be relatively in the same place at the top of the backswing than it was when I go from address directly to impact. Therefore, in the photos above, one of the two can't match the impact position (since they're so different). I think if you look closely at impact of your DTL video, your head actually goes back closer to where it started at address. So the movement toward the ball at the top of the backswing is likely extraneous.

Just my two cents. Hang in there and good luck sticking with it. I'll join you again in the practice challenge thread, I promise!

Thanks! Duly noted. I gave it whirl with your thoughts of turning around my torso. I can tell that I'm still bobbing, but I hope it's improved. Good or bad, I definitely felt "stiffer" through my swing.

I can't figure out how to create the video combining normal speed and slow motion videos anymore on Youtube...something must have changed.

Full speed FOV: 

Slow mo FOV:

Full speed DTL:

Slow mo DTL:

still a lot of improvement to be had for sure. Who knew keeping my freaking head still would take forever

Edited by woodzie264
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 5 months later...
  • Moderator
(edited)

3/24/18 - sooooo, it's been quite a while since I've posted a swing...largely because I feel as though I'm making little progress. But, now that's it's warming up a bit, I figured I'd put up the net and hit a few. I'm using a wedge today, so my swing is a bit steeper as compared to others in this thread. I realize my wrist is cupped and I have a lot of flaws, but my priority piece is still Centered Turn with Steady Head. I think my turn was getting better, but then @iacas challenged me to not dip my head during the downswing and this is where I feel I'm making little progress. For some reason, I'm not seeing a way to combine the full speed and slow mo clips together on Youtube like I have done in the past, so they are presented separately:

Full speed

Slow

Full speed

Slow motion

 

Edited by woodzie264
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 1 year later...
  • Moderator
(edited)

soooo, it's been nearly 2 yrs since posting a swing. I haven't played a great deal and really haven't been working on my swing much - just going out and playing when I have time. Last I posted, @iacas had me working on steady head with centered hip turn. I believe I was cupping my left wrist and was looking at working on that as well. 

3/14/20 - DTL

FOV

 

Edited by iacas
embedded videos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo after clicking this link. For Mevo+, click this link or the image above.
  • Posts

    • Day 13: Mirror work again. Still on set up. I think my hips are more over my heels now, so now I’m mostly focused on having my knees bent a bit more. 
    • Thanks Bill. It's interesting that you consider the DG to be a low trajectory shaft. It makes me think that the fitter really didn't care enough to try to increase my apex to attempt to accommodate my low spin rate. He didn't take any measurement for club length either, so I'm apparently standard everything, but stiffer shaft to accommodate my swing speed.   To be fair, the fitter did say exactly that - they will adjust the lie angle if it doesn't work for me, but like I said in another reply, how would I ever know if it is not working for me if I don't have a basis for comparison with other lie angles? I also have fairly short legs, yet bizarrely a 35.5" wrist to floor measurement - which puts me at 2 degrees upright, according to Ping... Hence my concern that I'm just "standard" everything.
    • What shaft is your friend using?  Maybe a good place to start is that shaft profile.  From there, you have a pretty nice budget to get whatever irons you want.
    • @Nick-uk Just a thought, you can always get your lie adjusted (whether you do it now or later).  It’s pretty simple to have done down the road.  I had mine adjusted 1 degree upright after the fact. FWIW… We’re similar height, similar distance with the 7i.  I’ve been playing the DG S300 and S400 for as long as I’ve been playing, and very happy with them.  I did try different shafts once, ran back to the DG.  I can only assume the DG product life has existed for a long time for a reason. Also, unless someone is quite short or tall, most people will be fine with a “standard” fit.
    • Unless I’m working off of outdated information, the standard Dynamic Gold shafts haven’t really changed much in decades. They’re known to be low launch and high spin, kind of the preferred trajectory of yesteryear. Again, spin rate alone is not enough information, but low spin rate + low apex height suggests an issue to me. It could just be your swing, but it’s also possible that shaft doesn’t fit you anyway. Just for reference I’m a “low spin” ball striker myself, but my 7i averages 5900 rpm, not 4000. My average apex height is 95’ though. I play KBS Tours. I was fitted out of DG S300 years ago. They don’t work for me.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Cy McCaffrey
      Cy McCaffrey
      (40 years old)
    2. MPD
      MPD
      (65 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...