IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

Priority Piece: Centered Hip Turn

Driver: :callaway: Rogue  /  Woods: :tmade: M2 3&5W’s / Hybrid: :tarmour: 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*

Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5W  Ball: :titleist: AVX optic yellow 

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Looking better. Does it look like that with a ball?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Looking better. Does it look like that with a ball?

Thanks. It's still very much conscious effort with regards to not dipping my head during the turn (which I still do, even in the most recent video). 

Yes - but I get your point. I rarely get to the range (1-2/month), but I'll video the next time I go. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue  /  Woods: :tmade: M2 3&5W’s / Hybrid: :tarmour: 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*

-Jonny

• 2 weeks later...

6/14/17   Centered hip turn

I was wearing sandals today and this was in impromptu range session, forgive me being barefooted.

-Jonny

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I'd work on two things IF the centered pivot stuff is working without having to think about it too much…

Set up with the handle a bit lower, and get your finger off the shaft (extended down the shaft).

01.jpg

Try to turn through keeping your head and left hip/butt closer to their respective "walls".

02.jpg

These don't need to be perfect, some EE is fine… but you likely have a bit more than you want.

Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks, @iacas. I do feel like the turn itself is becoming subconscious so I hope to make some improvements on your new recommendations. 

I knew the finger down the shaft would get addressed...I've recently revisited that after having a couple of bad rounds because that seems helps my timing at impact (thus my accuracy), but I will certainly get away from that

-Jonny

On 6/23/2017 at 0:12 PM, iacas said:

Try to turn through keeping your head and left hip/butt closer to their respective "walls".

02.jpg

These don't need to be perfect, some EE is fine… but you likely have a bit more than you want.

Is there something I'm doing in my set up that is causing me to EE (not sure what that means, but I think it means that I'm coming off my walls) or is it just a swing tendency independent of my set up?

-Jonny

• Administrator
2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Is there something I'm doing in my set up that is causing me to EE (not sure what that means, but I think it means that I'm coming off my walls) or is it just a swing tendency independent of my set up?

No. Just something you have to work on.

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (woodzie264)
  • 2 months later...

After a few months off from a shoulder replacement, I've played a couple of 9-hole rounds (with abbreviated swings) and am ready to resume my swing improvements.

I have put up a 10'x15' net in my back yard and am excited about the prospect of getting better. I hope to have a video up by the end of the week.

It's nice to be back. 

• Upvote 2

-Jonny

• Administrator
On 9/17/2017 at 7:04 PM, woodzie264 said:

It's nice to be back. 

Welcome back!

I have regressed regarding the centered turn and still suck with maintaining my walls :8), but I wanted to post something by the end of the week and I'm a man of my word:

-Jonny

• 4 weeks later...

I see my swing is steeper in the last video than in previous ones :cry:

-Jonny

On 10/16/2017 at 10:38 AM, woodzie264 said:

I see my swing is steeper in the last video than in previous ones :cry:

I know the feeling of working on one thing and other things leaking! I know you're working the centered hip portion, so it's probably ok that you're getting a little steeper, as you can work on that another time.

As for the centered turn, I'm seeing in the DTL view that your head is dipping on your backswing, and you move closer to the ball:

Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 10.22.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-17 at 10.22.48 PM.png

When I work on my centered turn, I think of my upper torso as staying fairly stable (both forward/back and up/down), which mostly leads to my head staying somewhat where it is. I like to think of my shoulders as rotation around that upper torso. Just thought I'd throw out a feel that seems to work for me.

Another feel: I've tried to go right from address to a good impact position, checking that my head doesn't move too far in any direction. If the impact head position feels good, and it mostly matches my address position, then it stands to reason that my head should be relatively in the same place at the top of the backswing than it was when I go from address directly to impact. Therefore, in the photos above, one of the two can't match the impact position (since they're so different). I think if you look closely at impact of your DTL video, your head actually goes back closer to where it started at address. So the movement toward the ball at the top of the backswing is likely extraneous.

Just my two cents. Hang in there and good luck sticking with it. I'll join you again in the practice challenge thread, I promise!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

(edited)
20 hours ago, RandallT said:

I know the feeling of working on one thing and other things leaking! I know you're working the centered hip portion, so it's probably ok that you're getting a little steeper, as you can work on that another time.

As for the centered turn, I'm seeing in the DTL view that your head is dipping on your backswing, and you move closer to the ball:

Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 10.22.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-17 at 10.22.48 PM.png

When I work on my centered turn, I think of my upper torso as staying fairly stable (both forward/back and up/down), which mostly leads to my head staying somewhat where it is. I like to think of my shoulders as rotation around that upper torso. Just thought I'd throw out a feel that seems to work for me.

Another feel: I've tried to go right from address to a good impact position, checking that my head doesn't move too far in any direction. If the impact head position feels good, and it mostly matches my address position, then it stands to reason that my head should be relatively in the same place at the top of the backswing than it was when I go from address directly to impact. Therefore, in the photos above, one of the two can't match the impact position (since they're so different). I think if you look closely at impact of your DTL video, your head actually goes back closer to where it started at address. So the movement toward the ball at the top of the backswing is likely extraneous.

Just my two cents. Hang in there and good luck sticking with it. I'll join you again in the practice challenge thread, I promise!

Thanks! Duly noted. I gave it whirl with your thoughts of turning around my torso. I can tell that I'm still bobbing, but I hope it's improved. Good or bad, I definitely felt "stiffer" through my swing.

I can't figure out how to create the video combining normal speed and slow motion videos anymore on Youtube...something must have changed.

Full speed FOV: 

Slow mo FOV:

Full speed DTL:

Slow mo DTL:

still a lot of improvement to be had for sure. Who knew keeping my freaking head still would take forever

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

• 5 months later...
(edited)

3/24/18 - sooooo, it's been quite a while since I've posted a swing...largely because I feel as though I'm making little progress. But, now that's it's warming up a bit, I figured I'd put up the net and hit a few. I'm using a wedge today, so my swing is a bit steeper as compared to others in this thread. I realize my wrist is cupped and I have a lot of flaws, but my priority piece is still Centered Turn with Steady Head. I think my turn was getting better, but then @iacas challenged me to not dip my head during the downswing and this is where I feel I'm making little progress. For some reason, I'm not seeing a way to combine the full speed and slow mo clips together on Youtube like I have done in the past, so they are presented separately:

Full speed

Slow

Full speed

Slow motion

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

• 1 year later...
(edited)

soooo, it's been nearly 2 yrs since posting a swing. I haven't played a great deal and really haven't been working on my swing much - just going out and playing when I have time. Last I posted, @iacas had me working on steady head with centered hip turn. I believe I was cupping my left wrist and was looking at working on that as well. 

3/14/20 - DTL

FOV

Edited by iacas
embedded videos

-Jonny