IGNORED

Putting Videos *Need Help*

Note: This thread is 5966 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The problem i am having is consistancy with my putting. Unfortunatly my last 2 rounds(84&85) i have a total of 79 putts, 39 and 40 respectivly.
i am just not good enough. i feel like i can drop atleast four strokes off my handicapp.

Here are 2 videos of me inmy living room

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=MOV00976.flv

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=MOV00977.flv

I know this problem could also be mental, so any help would be appreciated.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

The problem i am having is consistancy with my putting. Unfortunatly my last 2 rounds(84&85) i have a total of 79 putts, 39 and 40 respectivly.

Although many golfers advocate a "straight through - square" putting stroke (face, at least on shorter putts, stays square to the target line), there are a ton of good putters (like Tiger) who don't do that. My first question would be "does your stroke on the course" really look like that. It is a pretty smooth stroke. Given your obvious lack of confidence in putting, some deceleration on the course (on the downswing prior to impact) is a real possibility.

I also noticed in the "vertical view" that your feet are not quite square to the target line. It is probably not a big deal, but also easy to fix. dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

If you want to work on the mental side of putting, try Dr. Bob Rotella's book "Putting Out Of Your Mind".

Also, my wife happend to be looking over my shoulder while I was looking at your videos and she says you have some funky looking toes

In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

yeah i also noticed my feet weren't square, i'll going to take some masking tape on the floor to help my setup get square.

Yeah i know about my feet god chose to bless me with 20 fingers

-matt

Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

Your putting stroke looks fine. At least good enough that you shouldn't ever have 39 and 40 putts.

Since your stroke looks fine, I imagine your biggest issue is distance control. Is that correct?

Two things in my opinion:

1) You want your eyes to almost be directly over your ball so this allows you to be able to see the line a lot better as you putt the ball.

2) The toe of your putter is off the ground a lot more than the heel meaning that you might be getting different contact everytime you putt which would cause the distance to be way off each and every time without you changing anything. Try to not hold the putter at the same angle you hold your irons.

If you make sure your head is almost directly over the ball this will fix the toe problem of being off the ground and it will be more consistent...hope this helps.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

hey i think that it just might be your confidence because your stroke looks really good. As far as your feet go i wouldn't worry about. I've actually heard that a lot of the great putters actually have their feet open like you do because they can see the line better that way.

Maybe its time to change putters . Go to your golf outlet and try the Two bar putter by RIFE . Also take time to try other brands and see how your ball reacts off the putter face .

thanks for the respones, i'm glad to here you guys think my stroke is ok and i'm leaning toward my problem being mental. i am going to keep practicing(outside when possible) until this goes away. thanks for the help

-matt

if you can find out your tipical misses, you might be able to find the cause quickly.
If you push or pull, it could be that your shoulder isn't align parallel to the target line.
You can easily check by placing a mirror on the floor and setup on top of it.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

You are doing an outside-inside-outside stroke. Don't try to make a straight-throught putting stroke.

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

You are doing an outside-inside-outside stroke. Don't try to make a straight-throught putting stroke.

I'm curious about your response. I've never heard of an 'outside-inside-outside' putting stroke. I have a hard imagining how one might use such a stroke effectively. Could you elaborate.

Also, I'm curious about the basis for your objection to straight back, straight through putting strokes. dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

I'm curious about your response. I've never heard of an 'outside-inside-outside' putting stroke. I have a hard imagining how one might use such a stroke effectively. Could you elaborate.

Well, the outside-inside-outside is actually a foult that high handicappers or even low ones do when thet want to make a straight-through putting stroke. They think that if they make an inside-square-inside stroke, to make a straight-through putting stroke they just have to manipulate the putter head the oposite way they naturaly do. This will result in side-spin (not quite sure about this) and the ball will, most of the time finish alot to the left or to the right.

I don't like the straight back, straight through putting stroke becaus of that. My experience (okay, I'm just a 16yr old kid that spends his days putting on a putteing mat ) tells me that most of the time, what I wrote above happens. It leads to inconsistency on the putting stroke, and there for missed putts.

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

Well, the outside-inside-outside is actually a foult that high handicappers or even low ones do when thet want to make a straight-through putting stroke. They think that if they make an inside-square-inside stroke, to make a straight-through putting stroke they just have to manipulate the putter head the oposite way they naturaly do. This will result in side-spin (not quite sure about this) and the ball will, most of the time finish alot to the left or to the right.

Thanks for the explanation. BTW, if you completely take the hands out of the putting stroke you can avoid all of this, whether you use straight-back/straight-thru or inside-sq-inside.

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W

Bingo, my brother in law came up from college(in PGM program at methodist U) and picked up on this immediately. right he started me making a inside to inside putting stroke and it felt real wierd. I have been putting the same way since i was 10(12 years). I know it will take a while to completely learn a new putting stroke but i'll give it a shot tomorrow when i go out and play. -matt

well i must have done somthing right i had 31 putts and no 3 putts. Too bad i wasn't striking the ball real well. I ended up with an 85. Thanks for all the help guys.

-matt

Note: This thread is 5966 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!