IGNORED

looking for a pro lesson need help deciding?

Note: This thread is 5967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing for about 2.5 years only once a month or so, get to the range 1-2 a month. My handicap is still around 30, and now I am ready to start putting more time and effort into getting my game on the right track. So my first priority is to get the fundamentals down so I am building on a good foundation. I have searched through the site and found the pga instruction site, but not sure who to start with I live in yorba linda in southern california, I initial saw http://www.blackgoldgolf.com/onlinelessons.asp this awhile ago but never was willing to put down $110 on a one hour lesson. Here is the link to all the pga golfers listed from the pga site http://dyn.pga.com/improve/find-an-i...92886&miles;=10
I was thinking of going with scott stubbs just passed off of price and location $45 dollars doesn't seem that bad as a start. I was just wondering what your guys thoughts experiences were. thanks in advance.

In my opinion, you should go to your local course and talk to a head pro there, that is your best bet as to getting a personal lesson that with be the lowest in price. 45 is not going to be a bad price to pay...lessons are getting expensive now days b/c so many people are requesting them...supply and demand :)
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Yeah, $45 for an hour is downright cheap. I, along with the other pros at my course, charge $40/half hour. And I'm not even Class A teaching pro. The bottom line in finding a good teacher, and finding one that you understand and click with. If Black Gold is your local course, see if Scott Heyn gives lessons. He is the Head Pro there, used to work at my club. He's a great player and instructor.

If it's basics and fundamentals that you want to tackle, I strongly recommend you buying Ben Hogan's Five Lessons . It is five easy to read chapters on basic keys to improving anyone's game, and is SUPER easy to read and comprehend. Read the first lesson, practice it for a week, or until you are comfortable with it, then move to the next lesson, and so on. And it's only like $12!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Just make sure they are experienced INSTRUCTORS and not just a guy with the PGA symbol next to his name. "Head Pro" doesn't mean they're good instructors either.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

Thank you all for the great information, I will take it all into consideration as I try to find the right instructor for me. I have one more question that I am looking for opinions on. As this is my first lesson I noticed that at black gold golf course alot of the instructors will also give lessons for $60 for half hour. as this is my first lesson I would think an hour is best be make sure I have time to go over everything and to make sure I understand everything. I was just wondering if my assumptions were correct. for my first lesson is an hour better or would half hour be better as an hour might be over kill for the fundamentals. thanks again for all the responses.

I would stick with a half hour, because when you get a lesson the instructor will normally stick to very specific things, and they don't want to put too much information in your head b/c it will be too much to worry about. The instructor would love your money, but why rush and get an hour when you can do half hour today go to the range perfect what he taught you and then go on for another half hour and then learn the new stuff the same way.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Thank you all for the great information, I will take it all into consideration as I try to find the right instructor for me. I have one more question that I am looking for opinions on. As this is my first lesson I noticed that at black gold golf course alot of the instructors will also give lessons for $60 for half hour. as this is my first lesson I would think an hour is best be make sure I have time to go over everything and to make sure I understand everything. I was just wondering if my assumptions were correct. for my first lesson is an hour better or would half hour be better as an hour might be over kill for the fundamentals. thanks again for all the responses.

Hmm, "understand everything"? That would take at least 1000 hours. In a half hour lesson, the best you might expect is to learn about proper alignment. But, that's probably enough for your first lesson. Too many new concepts and they'll be lost. Unfortunately, getting good instruction is a process, not an event. You have to learn things, practice them, be reminded about them, practice them on the course, etc. until it is ingrained into your swing. I which point you forget about them and have to be reminded about them again. Tiger, the world's best golfer who understands his swing to the nth degree, needs consistent coaching. My recommendation is to find a instructor who can build your self-awareness of your swing. I think video helps quite a bit in this regard. Also, you don't have to use the head pro if you're at a index of 36. I think that an PGA apprentice that has access to video can help you at your level almost as much as a Class A. Someone that charges a rate of $110/hour is like wine with a fancy label and name, it must be better because it is more expensive. Well, there are a lot of very good wines (and golf instructors) that aren't that expensive but are great. Have fun! jg

Note: This thread is 5967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!