IGNORED

My Swing (byrne092)

byrne092
Note: This thread is 2359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 10 years; stopped playing for 4 years, started again last year. 
My current handicap index or average score is: low 90s high 80s
My typical ball flight is: normal to high -- draw when struck correct
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I will high push to the right when I don't turn on hands/arm/wrists over. I will also occasionally pull the ball to the left (opposite of what causes the high push).

Videos: 1st is my first lesson. 2nd is after most recent lesson.

I decided at the beginning of this year that i wanted to finally break down and get some lessons. I had always been a pretty decent golfer in high school, nothing great, but for the amount of time I put into it, i was able to score about the same as i am now. There was a few years where i didn't hardly play, so while I have played over the years, I didn't really progress. Right now we have been working on squaring the club face at impact, keeping my hands in front of my core/body, keeping a solid right leg/not swaying, and just keeping a stable core throughout the swing. Obviously, none of that is going to change quick, but I am trying to do as much practicing and take in as much good information as possible. 

I would say i have made good progress with the little amount of coaching I've had (this is the first time ever getting lessons too). The inconsistency is the toughest thing for me, i can have a really good day, followed by a day where it seems like solid contact is impossible. I still have a ways to go, but I just wanted to see what advice you guys might have for me! Appreciate any advice.

Ryan

Edited by byrne092

Driver: :tmade: SLDR

Woods: :ping: Rapture 3 Wood

Hybrid: :tmade: R7 Rescue 3H

Irons: :mizuno: JPX900 HM 4-GW

Putter: :odyssey: OG White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Most of us won't want to add too much to someone who is getting lessons (unless we see something that's really not jiving with what we know…).

Welcome to TST!

Little hip sway there… but what are you working on in the Lesson 2 video?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)

@iacas Thanks for the welcome!

Fair enough, that's why i am always a little hesitant with some of the things i read and incorporating them into what i am currently working on. I always run them by my instructor as well. I've only had 3 hours of instruction time from him, but i feel that i have a better base to build off of then i did before. 

Some of the main things that we have been working on are rotating wrists/forearm through impact (hence my main mishit is high right, followed by pull left, although i think the pull left is more improper body turn). The intention is to hit a draw. This goes with keeping my arms and club in front of my body, making sure i clear my body so i can rotate. I seem to have a lot of trouble with this.

Working on, as mentioned above, not swaying the hips; trying to stay solid on my right leg.

I saw some tips here on to flare my feet, which I have been trying to mix in. I also was reading a post today, Stubborn Steepness, which has me trying to analyze how i can do this more effectively. Another one of my weaknesses right now is getting a little to vertical in my downswing.

I am going to try to figure out a way to take more video when i go to the range to see what's been going on.

Edited by byrne092

• 3 months later...

Was going to start a thread about this, but decided to just update my swing. This was tonight during a long practice session. I've been struggling big time with hitting down/ball first. As hard as I practice and try, I can't seem to get close to this position, even when trying to exaggerate it. I have some things I've been working on, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Also, does this type of change usually take a long time? 

maxresdefault.jpg

Also going to throw this out there. From looking at the slide thread, it looks like i am not getting my left hip for enough forward and turning my hips enough. Probably apparent in the video, but ithought the visual might help too.

bump.jpg.7ae78ed3969eff6d52db7797b4e65fd9.jpg

Edited by byrne092

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Working on keeping my butt back and striking the ball first. Making progress, slowly, but surely.

Figured out my biggest flaw on the course is keeping my tempo/adrenaline in check. I was getting way to fast and overswinging, causing numerous problems, that resulted in some bad golf. Been really focusing on staying smooth the past few rounds and I have played much better!

vimeo.com/240202313

Edited by byrne092

I forgot to mention; obviously in the video above that is not my typical setup. I have been starting at the impact position, trying to ingrain that feeling. I think it has definitely been helping.

Swing from last night. Still working on rotating/clearing my hips properly to create room. With working on the rotation I am hoping this will improve my shoulder tilt, lower position at impact. 

One thing i just noticed that I am doing, that seems incorrect, is that I am using my arms to much to start my back-swing. My hands go too far out, which looks like it causes my right elbow to bend early. My shaft angle is very flat, and pointing outside of the ball. Very steep coming down. Posture doesn't looks great in the above video either. All sound about right? Anything to add?

I am going to try start a deeper, more connected(i guess that would be the correct term) takeaway, and try to be more vertical to create a better shaft position. The downswing is my nemesis and I am still struggling with that overall i think. Seems like i have a decent push forward, but then the rotation kind of stops and i come in steep. I believe this is why i still am standing up, trying to save myself from hitting it fat.

Note: This thread is 2359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!