IGNORED

My Swing (Antneye)

Antneye
Note: This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll give it a try. 

When you say I am bit quick coming down do you mean the whole downswing or one element of it? My focus on the downswing is to start everything with a rotation of my hips as I drive off of my right foot. I am trying not to swing my arms at all but simply let them come along for the ride as I uncoil. Perhaps I need to slow down the hips to slow everything else down? 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, Antneye said:

I'll give it a try. 

When you say I am bit quick coming down do you mean the whole downswing or one element of it? My focus on the downswing is to start everything with a rotation of my hips as I drive off of my right foot. I am trying not to swing my arms at all but simply let them come along for the ride as I uncoil. Perhaps I need to slow down the hips to slow everything else down? 

Ok,  I don't wanna screw you up on your feel here.  Also I would prefer to withhold until I can see video from hitting some balls.  

I really recommend that drill.  

To answer your question I would say just the bit starting down from the top in THAT video.  The club was still not quite in the right position from the top starting down,  however it was very improved from the other videos imo.  

I would never want to say slow down your rotation of your torso,  only that it doesn't need to reach max speed right away from the top you know?

If you look at the two photos I put up before of you vs the pro,

it can be seen looking at the left shoulder.  He is more closed in near the same point of the swing.  So he has not rotated his torso at max speed initially coming down,  but coming through it's smooth and speedy.

Edited by Jack Watson

I think I know what you are saying.  I spent today trying to get a little more temp into the swing.  My rule is that every time I walk into the garage I have to take a few swings.

I will try to get an actual video up soon.

• Administrator

@Antneye:

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-11%20at%2010.06.

Start here:

Good luck.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 hours ago, iacas said:

@Antneye:

Start here:

Good luck.

Thanks.  I have definitely adjusted the posture already and am having some improved results.  I still struggle on the driver with not reaching like I was, but it is much improved.  I've read that thread a few times already and keep going back to it.

I had a second consecutive encouraging range session.  I am continuing to work on the tips I have been given so far and am seeing good results.  The driver is really coming around nicely so today I decided to hit less of it in practice and try to get back to my old routine where I would work more of the clubs in my bag.  Lately I have been only hitting my driver (75%) and my 7 iron (25%) as I just try to focus on the swing improvements and re-find my ability to hit driver.

My only negative that I felt over my last two sessions is a tendency to hit my irons fat.  This is not something I struggled with prior to these adjustments and I am not really sure what is driving it.  My friend who filmed me last time is on vacation so I am a bit delayed in getting an updated video of me hitting balls with the adjusted swing.

Areas I feel I have improved (all feel since I don't have video to prove it yet):

• Head seems steadier when I view swing in a mirror
  • Much improved take-away and overall swing plane
  • Better tempo to my swing
  • Less arms driven swing.  Really letting the arms just come along for the ride.
  • posture much improved (not reaching for the ball), really trying to mimic the posture thread to the best of my ability

I played much better last week and will be playing Thursday (weather allowing) on a challenging course.  Hoping for good results, but I am going to temper my expectations.

6 hours ago, Antneye said:

Areas I feel I have improved (all feel since I don't have video to prove it yet):

Good stuff. But as you'll learn (if you don't know already), our feels betrays us. Video while hitting is the gold standard.

I've done an absolute ton of range work and I always start with a sand wedge and a thirty yard pitch on any range session.  Then fifty or so nice and easy and slow and work up bit by bit.  My personal feel on the range is moving slow and feeling the heavy clubhead swinging in a circle.  There's a coworker I have who is a mechanical engineer who is true scratch and he is built very different from me.  He's tall and thin but he moves surprisingly slow on the range.  He really swings the clubhead and has a really nice piercing ball flight.

When we've gone out I never really bother him but I have watched and he begins slow and short but his tempo looks almost the same while he hits a couple full drivers.  It's cool to watch.

Re fat irons,  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Are you chunking bad or just catching it heavy and losing distance?

If you are chunking bad,   remember to swing the clubhead forward and not downward so much.   It can be easy to swing down since the ball is on the ground.   Some of that is practice and given you are working through swing changes I would expect a few bumps in the road.  Try and get a face on six or seven iron if you can.  

10 hours ago, chspeed said:

Good stuff. But as you'll learn (if you don't know already), our feels betrays us. Video while hitting is the gold standard.

This has been the biggest lesson I've learned so far.  What I think I am doing, and what I am actually doing are two different things.  Video does not lie. 

10 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

I've done an absolute ton of range work and I always start with a sand wedge and a thirty yard pitch on any range session.  Then fifty or so nice and easy and slow and work up bit by bit.  My personal feel on the range is moving slow and feeling the heavy clubhead swinging in a circle.  There's a coworker I have who is a mechanical engineer who is true scratch and he is built very different from me.  He's tall and thin but he moves surprisingly slow on the range.  He really swings the clubhead and has a really nice piercing ball flight.

When we've gone out I never really bother him but I have watched and he begins slow and short but his tempo looks almost the same while he hits a couple full drivers.  It's cool to watch.

Re fat irons,  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Are you chunking bad or just catching it heavy and losing distance?

If you are chunking bad,   remember to swing the clubhead forward and not downward so much.   It can be easy to swing down since the ball is on the ground.   Some of that is practice and given you are working through swing changes I would expect a few bumps in the road.  Try and get a face on six or seven iron if you can.  

My typical range session starts with a gap wedge or a p/w. I either work my way down with G/9/7/5/4H/Driver or P/8/6/4i/3W/Driver.  These past few weeks the driver got so bad that it became the focus of my practice sessions.  I feel as if I am now at a point where the Driver will not be the cause of my horrific scores and I can go back to my normal routine.  I try to focus on tempo as well and I am forcing myself mostly do my "no-ball" swings and then every 3rd or so swing I let there be a ball in the way.

For the chunking, I would say that it is mostly a light chunk.  Catching turf first.  The flags are horrible at my range but I would guess that my 7i (normally 150y) was going 120 or so on the chunks.  Only a couple were so bad that the ball only went 30-40y. 

I'm going to try to post a face and back 7i and driver as soon as I can get someone to film me. 

I was able to convince my 15 year old to come to the range and film me after work today.  I went solely to film and really didn't warm up properly so I never felt comfortable but I got some serviceable shots.  I have 7i front and dtl and driver front and dtl with a bonus 7i front that shows one that I chunked.  I am posting that one hoping someone can see a difference between the two front 7i's to help me eliminate those chunks.

Let me know what you think.

On 6/11/2017 at 10:07 PM, iacas said:

@Antneye:

Start here:

Good luck.

@iacas does my latest video show any improvement in posture?  I feel like I have improved on that front but do not want to make any assumptions in light of you pointing it out as where I should start.

My focus has been posture, backswing, steady head, and trying to get my swing path more in-line.  Maybe that is too much to tackle all at once, but it all feels inter-related to me.

Thanks!

I believe I have some of the same issues as your experiencing.  Like Jack Watson mentioned the start of your downswing looks rushed. I purchased an orange whip knock off by Skilz and that seemed to help. It really enforced the pendulum Swing mentioned. If you rush the down swing with your arms or wrists you can feel the whip pull you forward. 

One thing i have have been doing at the range is "trying" 50% downswings. "Trying" because when your at the range you always want to see the ball go straight and LONG. 

11 hours ago, Double Par said:

I believe I have some of the same issues as your experiencing.  Like Jack Watson mentioned the start of your downswing looks rushed. I purchased an orange whip knock off by Skilz and that seemed to help. It really enforced the pendulum Swing mentioned. If you rush the down swing with your arms or wrists you can feel the whip pull you forward. 

One thing i have have been doing at the range is "trying" 50% downswings. "Trying" because when your at the range you always want to see the ball go straight and LONG. 

I have to admit that this one aspect has me baffled. I feel like I am finding that rhythm, but when I see it on film it is clear that I'm not. 

I'm not really sure how to get there. I've read about the orange whip, but I've spent a lot this season on a new driver and want to try to avoid any more purchases if I can for the remainder of the season. I may have to get one though. 

Off to enjoy a round on a course that I typically don't get the opportunity to play so I am just going to clear my head and enjoy the round today. 

I posted this summary of my round in the "What dd you shoot thread but figured I'd jump in here to discuss the swing element of my round:

-------------------

I got to play Providence Country Club in Charlotte today.  Its a very nice private course that I typically do not get a chance to play.  I have been really fighting my game for the past 6 months and have started a swing thread and trying to get my game together, but today I just went out and enjoyed a beautiful day on the course on a gorgeous piece of land.

I am a 24.7 handicap, so we weren't exactly expecting miracles out there.  Any round under 100 has been a success for me, so I was thrilled to get around this track in 101 considering the level of difficulty.

We went off on the back 9 which is the more difficult 9.  After making par on 10 and then going bogey, bogey, double I was sitting at +4 through 4 which is basically par for me (I am just trying to play bogey golf for now).  Then I had my obligatory blow up holes and threw up two straight snowmen on par 4's before settling down for the final three holes to card a 53.

My biggest issue has been my driver, and all of my blow-ups started with a disastrous drive, but I was encouraged by the progress with that club.  I made 5 straight bogeys on the back before losing the driver once again to finish with 4 straight doubles for a 48 on the back.

The highlight of the day, (hands down!) was my playing partner making an Ace on the par 3 6th hole.  That was the first time I have ever even been on the tee box for a hole-in-one so it was quite memorable.  I'll probably talk more about the mechanical end of my game in my swing thread, but I was fairly encouraged with my progress today.  Some good, some bad, but moving in the right direction overall.

-----------------

So how was the round mechanically?  I have to admit to feeling a little bittersweet about the performance.  One the one hand, I really saw how good my driver and irons can be when I execute the things I have been working on.  When done properly I was getting my driver out to the fairway in the 220-250 range.  I lost two drives to massive push/slices and yanked three or 4 others hard left but mostly was getting it out and in play.  My irons were sporadic and were mostly good early with the occasional chunk that has crept in with my swing changes but I was very concerned with a couple of big pulls that crept in as well.  My putter was horrible, but that is to be expected since I have not done any work at all on my short game of late.  It probably cost me 3 or 4 strokes overall today.

Bottom line?  I just need to stay with the program.  Looking back I can easily see that some of what I was working on was totally forgotten late in the round as I got tired and started trying to muscle the ball.  More good than bad overall.  With your guys help I am going to get my handicap down to 18 before long.  I am certain I can do it.  Then we can set new goals :)

Sounds like you had some good streaks interspersed with some blow ups.  Good streaks are good.

My thoughts for you remain the same as my previous.  Look at the google images explanar like I said from dtl.  Use mirror or video to work on that clubhead path coming down even in slow motion if necessary.  Swing the clubhead don't muscle the club.  No doubt a bit too aggressive of a move and you will swing left at impact and slice or pull depending on clubface orientation.

To me it seems like you are making progress based on the videos above so imo keep going on the same track.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  No need to get too technical at this point.  You are still learning to swing the clubhead.

I've been doing a lot of work with trying to slow down a bit a the top and with working on the wall drill to try to help with me completing a full shoulder turn and keeping my head steady.  Here are some garage swings to see if I am on the right track.  My son saw it and felt I am back to being very shallow and around my body as in my initial videos.  I'm not seeing that, but maybe he is right.

• Upvote 1

I think you should put it on a ball from both angles from a fixed camera and see what reality is.  Personally I think that's worlds better from the first garage video...

From dtl head moves forward a fair amount on the bs forward is my only criticism.

I think that swingpath looks pretty solid really,  if you can do it on a ball.

Note: This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!