IGNORED

My Swing (Antneye)

Antneye
Note: This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 30 years on and off.  I was serious about the game in my late 20's early 30's. Fell away from it after 9/11 due to losing my cousin who was my regular playing partner.  Emotionally I just could not get back to the game.  Fast forward 15 years later and I rediscovered my passion for the game as my boys got into their teens.
My current handicap index or average score is: 24.7. At my best I was a consistent low 90's golfer.  
My typical ball flight is: a fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: threefold.  Push/slice, straight pull, pull/hook

I finally got out to the range with someone who could film me, but unfortunately he cut off the beginning of my backswing on the front on view.  Being that I am eager to get some feedback I decided to go ahead and post it regardless.  I plan on actively working through this process and posting updates as I progress so I am not too worried about missing the beginning of the backswing for now.

I feel like the area where I am falling apart is at the beginning of the downswing, but I am unable to figure out how to fix it.  I come over the top in a big way so I am not surprised by the results of my misses (you see a straight pull in my down the line view).  You will see that I do not get back so far on my backswing.  I am not sure if this s due to my flexibility or is due to a mechanical flaw, but it does not seem to hurt me on my good strikes as I tend to get decent distance (7i approximately 150,  Driver around 225)

I shot my career low 87 last July and since then I have totally fallen apart and am struggling to break 100 at this point.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Antneye

Videos: 

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My friend just sent me a front view that he took with his phone which captures the full swing.  I can't figure out how to edit my original posts to put the two full videos in embedded form in a single post, but if a mod could do that for me that would be great.

Can I prompt anybody for some feedback?  Maybe with a "pretty please"? :)

I've been trying to figure this out on my own for too long so I am turning myself over for some candid feedback.  I pointed out what I saw from looking at myself, and it seems I definitely come over the top quite a bit.  From studying the ball flight laws posts I kind of knew this, but seeing it on film was quite an eye opener.  I went out to the range today and was playing with trying to drop the club into the slot rather than coming over like I do and I had mixed results.  I'm not really sure where to begin.

Here is my commitment for anyone taking the time to critique my swing:

1) I will be open to all feedback

2) I will work into my practice sessions any advice on items to work on.

3) I will not get frustrated with a lack of early returns and will stay with the program.

4) I will post consistent updates to my video

Maybe collectively we can get this 25 Handicapper down into the teens as a starting goal.  Let's not try to run before we walk.

I'm just a bogey golfer who's watched a lot of video, so take my comments for what they're worth (not a lot).  

Two things about your swing that stick out for me is that your set up could be better and you have a lot of head movement going on.  

As far as set up goes, I think your knees shouldn't be bent as much.  You need to bend more at the waist.  And your arms should fall naturally straight down.  You are reaching out arms in front of you.

For the head position, look up some of the Five Simple Keys videos about about Key #1, Steady Head.  I like the drill where you keep your head against the wall and work on making your turn while maintaining contact with the wall.  The goal is to try and keep your spine angle the same throughout the swing.

• Upvote 1

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Ok,  I see this as the biggest thing.  You are in big trouble here in your downswing.  Google images golf swing explanar and look at the training device from several angles to get an idea about where a better clubhead path will be.

Maybe find a mirror or use video from dtl and slow motion rehearse a better down swing clubhead path.  You don't need to make a massive cranking move with the torso starting down.  Stay slower and softer and let the swing develop coming down from the top.

Good luck.

IMG_1603.thumb.PNG.48da7e4224cacffdd3a006e729fcb0b1.PNG

I saw above you worked on 'dropping into a slot'

IMO don't focus on that.  Focus on the clubHEAD path through space as you swing.

Edited by Jack Watson
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

Focus on the clubHEAD path through space as you swing.

Sorry, couldn't help myself :-D

18m5il8n5ejtdjpg.jpeg

Edited by chspeed
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, davechen said:

I'm just a bogey golfer who's watched a lot of video, so take my comments for what they're worth (not a lot).  

Two things about your swing that stick out for me is that your set up could be better and you have a lot of head movement going on.  

As far as set up goes, I think your knees shouldn't be bent as much.  You need to bend more at the waist.  And your arms should fall naturally straight down.  You are reaching out arms in front of you.

For the head position, look up some of the Five Simple Keys videos about about Key #1, Steady Head.  I like the drill where you keep your head against the wall and work on making your turn while maintaining contact with the wall.  The goal is to try and keep your spine angle the same throughout the swing.

Thanks.  I know that my arms should be straight down, yet I seem to go back to reaching.  I will work on this.

As for the head, I am really struggling with that.  I think you are referring to the movement to the right on my backswing, but if not could you clarify?  I am posting some practice swings at the bottom where I tried to get the arms more hanging and less knee bend.  In it you can see that my head seems to stay in place until the very end of my backswing and then I lose it right.  No matter what I do I do not seem to be able to prevent this.  Hopefully someone has a tip on this.

5 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

Ok,  I see this as the biggest thing.  You are in big trouble here in your downswing.  Google images golf swing explanar and look at the training device from several angles to get an idea about where a better clubhead path will be.

Maybe find a mirror or use video from dtl and slow motion rehearse a better down swing clubhead path.  You don't need to make a massive cranking move with the torso starting down.  Stay slower and softer and let the swing develop coming down from the top.

Good luck.

IMG_1603.thumb.PNG.48da7e4224cacffdd3a006e729fcb0b1.PNG

Yes....This is where I feel my biggest issue lies.  I will look up the images you referenced. In the practice swings below I am trying to just focus on the club head path, it seems to be a little better than my original post but still a long way to go (I am swinging a 5 iron since I cannot swing a driver in that space so I'm not sure if its apple to apples).  This is definitely something I will be working on at the range.  It will take some time to fix this I think since it seems to be very ingrained in my swing.

4 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

Here's a photo of a pro at a similar point in the down swing with driver.  See the difference?

IMG_1605.thumb.PNG.3128748e104dec05f65553eba24f4824.PNG

Yes! He is a pro and I am a hack :).....seriously though, it is a huge difference.

4 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

I saw above you worked on 'dropping into a slot'

IMO don't focus on that.  Focus on the clubHEAD path through space as you swing.

This along with keeping my head steady and working on my posture are going to be my initial focus.  Once I have these nailed down I will move on from there.  As ugly as my swing is right now I do not feel I am far removed from being able to get down into the low 90's and then the high 80's.  I just need to clean up some fundamentals in my long game.  My short game has been excellent but the full swing (especially my driver) has been killing me.  I did the video below simply to see what these practice swings looked like but I figured I'd post it so you can see what I am trying to work on from the initial advice.

Thanks!!!

Ok imo in the video you are making it harder than it needs to be by rolling the clubhead too far inside too soon.  You don't want to ingrain that.  Think of the explanar from a dtl view.  Your clubhead would be to the left side of it and under it going back.   I'd say it's better than the over the top but the way you have it there it's a lot of unnecessary movement.   Your forearms are rolling and the clubface is opening while it happens.  It's much simpler than that if you eliminate the unnecessary hand action.

Imo it's easier to keep the hands quiet no forearm rolling or clubface opening or moving the clubhead too low and behind you early going back.

Theres probably a takeaway thread here someone can put up.  The thing you have to know is that the torso turning on the backswing is going to move the clubhead a lot even if you do nothing with the hands.  

One simple way some would say it is simply on the backswing gently swing the clubhead over your right shoulder and on the downswing finish it over the left shoulder.

One thing to try is take an address position then without turning at all make a bicep curl like motion with your right arm and point your right thumb over your right shoulder.  Hold that position now turn your torso like you would on a backswing and you can tell the hands and arms don't make a huge movement on the backswing.  It's a combination of the torso turn and a bit of arms.

Maybe someone can post a video or you can find one on takeaway and backswing so you can get a visual.  I am sure there's stuff on here on this I just suggested some things based on my years at this silly game.

Here's a photo of what I dislike that you had going look where the clubhead is see how it's low and behind you?

Lots of totally unnecessary hand action there.

Also looks like you could really lose a bunch of unnecessary tension in your arms and shoulders.  Experiment with a lighter grip pressure taking the club back and up from the ball and letting the clubhead momentum work in your favor.  Feel the clubheads weight.  Let it swing don't feel you are trying to power it with the body just let it swing and allow the body to move a bit if it needs to.  Just start in a comfortable relaxed position and truly swing the clubhead without trying to force it to move a certain way.  IMO you could do much less and at the same time get longer and straighter.  Good luck and remember I am just another golfer so my word is not gospel lol.

IMG_1607.thumb.PNG.9b98211984036624eafce7eb8cea77e4.PNG

Manuel De La Torre said one problem many golfers have is they don't know how to leave the club alone while it swings...

For some people it feels similar to 'throwing' the clubhead on the downswing. 

I absolutely do not think you are far from doing much better,  it's just understanding where the clubhead needs to swing and swinging it. 

Edited by Jack Watson

This is a quick simple video I found look at how little his hands do at the start.  Remember soft and let it swing but imo this is not a bad way to takeaway.  You don't want to get tense and not allow the hands to set or right arm to fold  but this is a decent visual.  Look where he shows the drill if you can start it back that way while avoiding tension in the hands and arms you might find that momentum creates a nice deal.  Let it swing.

Edited by Jack Watson

Wow.....Lots to think about.  It's funny that you mentioned my forearm roll.  My son said the exact same thing to me last night when I was asking him about some of the feedback I had received (He is 17 and is about a 10 handicap).  I worked on this a little this morning (along with the other items mentioned, but just focused on this mostly to try to feel it) and I could see the difference but it feels like I cannot get back far enough.  It felt almost like a half swing, but I guess a half swing done correctly is better than a full swing done improperly.  

I appreciate all of the feedback you are providing.

Since I was the only one up in the house this morning, I snuck out for a quick range session to work on these suggestions.  The results were very encouraging, but I have a lot of work to do to ingrain this.  My driver is coming back nicely and my irons were very crisp and straight.  I am going to spend a few weeks working on these items and then try to get a new swing video up.

I have had a few very good range sessions working on these adjustments and got a chance to take it to the course while on a business trip to Nashville.  I played the Hermitage Presidents Select course.  The conditions were horrible with it raining for the first 13 holes, but the course was great and it was a fun time out. 

Results?  very sketchy.  I struggled to find the new swing and must have lost 6 drives into the woods on the front 9.  Then it seemed to come together for me on the back 9 and I started keeping my drives in play, but the irons weren't there and I was hitting a bunch of fat irons.  Throw in some messed up wedges and a few 3 putts and you have a horrific split of 58-46 for a 104.

Going back to the range after work since I am still on the road. 

Hit the range after work yesterday and am having the same problems that I had on the course the other day.  Sticking with the adjusted swing, but am prone to hitting my irons very fat and am slicing my driver badly.  On the final ten swings I seemed to get it dialed in a little better but I'm not exactly sure why.  I'm staying focused on the few things I am working on and not trying to bounce around chasing different swing thoughts. 

I am going to have to try to get a video up sooner rather than later so that I am not ingraining more bad habits.  I think I am doing what has been suggested, but video will tell the truth.

Played a much better round a few days ago and feel like I am starting to see some improvement.  I have not been able to get to the range with someone who can film me so I decided to video some garage swings while I was waiting for paint to dry.  I was a little disappointed when I viewed it as I still seem to be coming over the top even though it feels as if I am not.  I do think the swing is improved, but would like to hear your all's thoughts on how this compares to my initial videos.  Any improvement at all?  I feel as if I am not rolling my forearms as much and my head seems to be steadier, but thats about all I see.

Ignore the attire, this is not my usual golf outfit :)

I like the takeaway and I think you do look to be on the right track with that.  Obviously working on a change like that takes time.  I like what you've got going.  It's still a bit careful on the backswing and a bit too quick coming down but it will get more natural the more you do it.  Good work so far!

I think a good little bit of practice you could do to free it up a bit and get a little more fluid is a perpetual motion drill with both feet together.  That's simple it's just keeping everything the same but stand feet closer together and make a swing but instead of holding your finish immediately swing backwards into a backswing and go again.  Not looking for any power here more of a pendulum.  So keep swinging back and forth with a narrow stance while keeping the balance.  Keep the club going back over the right shoulder forward over the left shoulder and back over the right shoulder.  It's just something to feel that momentum and maintain balance.  It's not a speed drill it's more to get that sensation of the clubhead swinging.  You can start with the clubhead never touching the ground and then as you get the hang of it you can have the club kiss the ground as it comes back and through.  Just a thought.   Can't add much to my previous posts,  those all apply.  Looks to me like you are on the right track.

Note: This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!