IGNORED

The importance of Dynamic strength and how to build it

JCrane
Note: This thread is 2512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My name is Jim Crane and I have been doing strength training since I was in high school. I am 67, still play volleyball and golf. It really pains me to see golfers have to quit the game or be in pain for days after a round of golf. It seems just tragic to me that a golfer like Tiger Wood, who could have been the greatest golfer of all time have to resort to surgery after surgery trying to just stay in the game, much less compete on the level we were all used to for so many years. I have developed a way of gaining strength, balance,and mobility in the body which I and others have found to be very effective at producing results in almost anyone who is willing to put in just minimum amount of time. I have decided to share this method on this forum at no charge in the hopes that there is someone out there who will benefit from this information.I am going to make a series of videos, which will be short, maybe twenty minutes long for anyone to try. Let me tell you how I got there. I was a weightlifter for many years and then one day my body started to give out and not only did I have to quit lifting, but I was pains in my legs and had to quit the aerobic program I was involved in. It was then out of desperation, I started to look for a way to bring my body. I spent some years trying different things, but to no avail. Then one day I learned they were starting a Yoga class in my local YMCA. I joined and started doing all the stretches. It was tough, the teacher would sometimes stop the class and ask if I was alright because I was groaning from the release of all that stiffness I had in my body. At the same time I started doing inversion therapy. I  used the boots as they did not have tables yet. I loved the yoga so much, I started trying different styles and for the next 5 years did as many as I could. Then I discovered power Yoga which I did for the next 10 years, but something was missing and I could feel it in my body. I started to slow the movement down and wow I felt a new connection that I had never gotten for weights or the other styles of Yoga. I have been doing it and teaching it ever since. I found that slow controlled moves that still challenge the body are much safer and more effective than the faster uncontrolled movements that I had been doing. I also found that when we slow the movement down the supportive muscles have to work harder and when this happens, we not only build strength in those muscle groups, but the muscles draw together and start to work as a unit, dynamically, instead of training the muscles to isolate as I believe I was doing when I lifted weights, I am going to attach a video of one of my golf students who has been doing this practice with me for about 5 years now so everyone can see what it looks like over a period of time.The videos I will share will be at an entry level and anyone should be able to do them. In fact for some they may seem too easy, but they build on each other. Again these will be free and I hope someone will at least try it

Jim,

Thanks a lot for doing this! I agree with the benefits of slow yoga. In spite of enjoying yoga and being flexible enough to get into it, I haven't made it part of my workout routine. But I want to and I'm looking forward to your instructional videos!

I am sorry, but one of the mods of this site has warned me not to do it or to promote myself, but I will maybe describe some exercises. It has done some amazing things for me, but my biggest turn around came when I slowed everything down. slow and controlled.The club is just an extension of our bodies 

Thanks for asking

Note: This thread is 2512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!