IGNORED

M2 vs XR Fairway Woods

Note: This thread is 2508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know this may be difficult to discuss without looking at my swing; I have a M2 3 wood and a Callaway XR 5 wood.  I hit my 5 wood really well.  I hit it off the deck, on the tee box, from any lie, etc.  It may be my favorite club in the bag.  I normally only hit my M2 off the box.  I have on occasion hit it off the deck.  For some reason I struggle with the M2.  Now it may just be a mental issue now but are there any reasons why (spec, length, etc.) anyone can think of as to why this makes sense?  Am I crazy for looking to move away from the M2 and getting a XR 3 wood? 

2 hours ago, BogeyWorkman said:

Am I crazy for looking to move away from the M2 and getting a XR 3 wood?

Some brands/models of clubs just fit your eye better than others. Mental issues are not trivial. If you lose confidence in a club, it's hard to get it to work.Go with what works. Were you fit for either one?

Comparison: The M2 and XR 3Ws both have 15* loft, a 43.5" shaft, and a D3 swingweight. Details on stock shafts...

• Stock M2 = TM REAX 65 (Stiff) or TM REAX 55 (Reg), Mid-high launch and mid-spin, reportedly 3.8 torque (couldn't verify).
  • Stock XR = PX LZ 50 Blue Fwy.. 5.5 Reg flex 54 gr. // and // 6.0 Stiff 56 gr. Both are Low-Mid Torque and Midkick.

So, both shafts seem to have similar characteristics. Which flex are you using in each club? Stock shaft?

One limitation: I don't know anything about your game. What is your Handicap? What problems are you having with the M2 3W?

Note that the average golfer can hit the 4W more reliably - and sometimes farther - then a 3W. The little extra loft really helps. But, if it turns out you need a 4W, this might bump into the 5W as far as distance goes.

Again, it would worth it to get a fitting before you spend $200 on an FW you haven't hit before.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, WUTiger said:

So, both shafts seem to have similar characteristics. Which flex are you using in each club? Stock shaft?

One limitation: I don't know anything about your game. What is your Handicap? What problems are you having with the M2 3W?

I play about a 10.  I use a stiff shaft and they are both still stock. The problems with the M2 range from pulls to fat shots. I really think it is between the ears.  I got the M2 from a buddy for pretty cheap so I am not really heart broken to move on.  I think really I don't see the extra distance that I read about.  It just doesn't seem to be much longer that my 5 wood or old Callaway X 3 wood.  Again though I may be setting myself up for failure on the tee box mentally. 

How does the Callaway X 3W work for you? If it's longer than your 5W, maybe you could carry both?

Try out the XR 3W and 4W and see how they work. But, would it be the end of the world if you played 5W as a single fairway wood? (Related: how do you do with hybrids? One FW + hybrids is a common bridge-club mix)

FWs are a touchy club. Go with what gives you confidence, and what works.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i was between the m2 and sub zero 3w, ended up going with the m2 because i like a glued shaft instead of the changeable shafts. the subzero maybe had 3more yards over the m2 but both were real close. the sub zero seemed lot easier to hit but i liked the way the m2 worked out for me. 

for you id make sure you have the right shafts setup in them both before buying a 3w. get fitted like the others had said and then u can actually see which club is working the best for ya. are you a 10hcp a legit one where you count all your drops and strokes? you need to get fitted, the shafts could be too short or long for ya. if both clubs have different shafts in them then that could also be the issues. or you could of been tired by the time u went to hit the m2 and jus wasn't swing it right. get fitted spend the money on it and write down what kind of shafts u do best with and your lie and loft and shaft length and then you will have all the information you need to have a right setup bag

WITB:
Taylormade M2 - 10.5º 
Taylormade M2 - 3w 15º
Callaway - Apex CF16 9i-3i
Vokey - 46º F Grind
Taylormade MG - 54º, 60º   
Scotty Cameron - Newport M1  - 4.5º
Taylormade - TP5X #7

Note: This thread is 2508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!