IGNORED

Is the newest Game Golf worth it if you have the older/less expensive one already?

Apoc81
Note: This thread is 2498 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's three bills Canadian, so wondering if it's really worth getting the better version?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

It has… IIRC

• A slightly improved battery.
  • Bluetooth so you can connect it to your phone and immediately upload the round when you're done.
  • A red case instead of a grey one. :-)

That's about it. I use the Live device, but without using the Live features. I still connect it to my computer to edit my rounds (I like to be more precise about my putting distances).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

37 minutes ago, Apoc81 said:

It's three bills Canadian, so wondering if it's really worth getting the better version?

Depends on what you want it to do for you and your price threshold.

I had the Classic for a couple years.  When GG sent me an email inviting me to buy the GG Live unit at a discount (I think it was about $100 US), I went ahead and upgraded.  I did it for a couple reasons.

A. The Classic belt unit was showing some wear and tear.  Specifically, the rubber usb port cover had torn off and I was keeping it covered with tape.  Not a real big deal, but it’s there.

B. I was curious to see how the interaction with the iPhone app functioned on the course.  This is the real difference between the Classic and the Live units, of course.  My impressions are:

1. I really like being able to adjust my pin positions and putting locations right there as I finish the hole.  The interface on the iPhone app isn’t quite as accurate as doing it online on a computer, but I was never very good at remembering where the pins were on which hole, and where my putts were.  (“Or was that yesterday’s round on the 10th hole? I thought they moved the pin today. Darn. I just can’t remember.”  And I wasn’t going to start drawing little pictures on a scorecard for each green.)
  2. Instantaneous gratification.  How long was that drive? Tag my approach shot with my 9 iron, and the iPhone app shows me a nice 248 yards for the drive.  Sweet.  Get the same information later on the classic unit, so just for fun to know it right then.
  3. The rangefinding capability of the iPhone app, IMHO, leaves something to be desired.  I have GolfShot running at the same time—it gives me distances to hazards and greens (front, center, back), in a more visible format. The iPhone GG app rangefinder is a bit more basic and not as visible.  It works, but I wouldn’t switch to Live just to use the rangefinder on the GG iPhone app.
  4. One of the things I really like is uploading the round as I finish the round.  A couple of clicks on the phone, and it’s uploading (takes a minute or two) as I’m walking to the clubhouse.  Put the clubs in the car.  Plug the belt unit into a charger in the car.  Leave it in the car when I get home.  Almost never have to bring it in the house.  Never forgetting the belt unit (“Nuts! Left it charging on my desk!”) again.

Those are the things that come to mind right away.  For the right price (not $300, in my opinion for my income level), it’s a nice but not necessary upgrade. Hope this helps.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Note: This thread is 2498 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!