IGNORED

Hello from Liverpool

James147
Note: This thread is 2626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Evening everyone, first time caller long time listener. Thought it was about time I got involved.

Been playing about three years but started to take it a little more seriously in 2017.

Had a few questions regarding becoming a member at a club, just been playing my local municipal (not sure what you'd call it over the 'pond')

For someone who works Monday to Friday 9-5 do you folks think it would be worth it? 

None of my friends play so I'd take it joining would be a good way of making some golf buddies!

Cheers

James

• Upvote 1

Welcome to TST.   We're glad you've decided to be "a caller" and not just a "listener".   I have a membership at a public course and play there frequently.   I also play with friends away from the course on multiple occasions each week.   

Working 9-5 with other life commitments makes it challenging to have a membership but it is nice to go play 4-5-6 holes at night.   You'll have to judge for yourself about justifying the cost vs how much you'll play.   

I've met some of the nicest people at the golf course and some have turned into great friendships.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, James147 said:

(not sure what you'd call it over the 'pond')

Hello.

Yep. It's Municipal course or "muni" for any course run by the local government. I mostly play the offerings of the City of Dayton, OH. It's a matter of budget. If my pay rate doubled, I'd probably consider a private membership. 

Along with the money involved, take a good look at the practice facilities the club has to offer. Sometimes all you can fit in is an hour on the range, but that practice could make all the difference by the weekend.

Welcome to TST.

Welcome to TST.

If you have some membership options that comfortably fit your budget, you may find that option works pretty well with your job schedule.  As @dennyjones mentioned above, it'd allow you to go play some in the evenings without feeling like you've wasted money by not getting in a complete round (which would likely discourage you from even going out at all in the evenings).  It works out that way w/me even on weekends; if I've had a ton to do on a Saturday/Sunday, but finish up 4/5pm-ish, I'll head over to the club and get in however many holes I can, all without that feeling of "I've got to get my money's worth".  Even if you aren't getting in full rounds, you'll be playing more, which is a good thing.

And, yeah, I think it'd probably give you the opportunity to make some new golf friends.  Lots of clubs have plenty of organized events & tournaments through the year that are good for that, and would give you some good/fun tournament golf experience, regardless of how competitive your approach to them.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Cheers gents, some useful advice there, specifically regarding the practice facilities which I hadn't even considered. It's something I'll be looking into.

Much appreciated!

Welcome! Glad you decided to actively participate. Check around and see what you can find for memberships, if the price is right and you can get out of work on time each day it may be worth it. 

Note: This thread is 2626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!