IGNORED

My Swing (djake)

djake
Note: This thread is 1230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Note: since I made these videos I have brought the ball deeper in my stands when hitting The Driver and that has stopped me from cutting/coming across the ball and being more consistent with a slight draw. I have also started to line up my dominate eye (right eye) on the ball, this is giving me a new head position on irons and fairways with tilt up left.  But with the Driver going so well for me now I keep the tilt up right.  Next round I am going to employ the new head position for the fairways and irons.

Please note: I had neck surgery a while back, during the layoff and part of the reason for the layoff, this has lead to a shorter backswing or at least I think since I never had my swing taped before.

Vanity statement: I have lost about 5 pounds since this video.  :-)

I've been Playing Golf for: 47 years - I did have a 12 to 14 year layoff and restarted 3 seasons ago
My current handicap index or average score is:12.4
My typical ball flight is: my whole life a fade with Driver and draw with irons - now I am drawing the Driver and irons, I have no issue with getting the ball up
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: inconsistency!   Thin iron shots or hitting it fat

Videos: 

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The biggest issue I see, is your lateral shifting with the hips. Notice how much your hips move away from that green line (your hip position at address). 

Shift.jpg

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (djake)
  • Administrator

What @saevel25 said. That's some MASSIVE hip sway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@saevel25 @iacas thank you for critiquing my swing!  First if there is anything you can use from my videos to teach someone how not to and then a how to correct please do.  If my faults can make anyone a better golfer I would be very happy! 

MASSIVE, now I know why my wife always wants to stay behind me at the range :-) Overal I feel this is a pretty fixable item.  The sad thing is this winter I had one of those 'free' golf lessons at the MN Golf Show with an organization that hooked me up with wires and video.  They told me I needed more hip turn so I think the sway came in with me trying so hard to get more hip turn.  I did not have the sway in the video tapping they did in February. 

Today playing nine I had the sun at my back and it was easy to see the hip sway looking at my shadow.  I could then feel it in my swing and then with that I started to work on it.

@saevel25 I have watched the videos you imbedded multiple times, excellent depth in those videos!  Thank you.  One item to consider, I am red green color blind and I had to get help in understanding which lines were which.  In the future maybe use Red and Blue as those colors tend to be a lot easier for red green people to see.  What were the two lines in my wrist and forearms for that you placed on the picture?

Now that you have shown me the hip sway it stands out, funny how it did not stand out to me before.  Great site and I am really enjoying it!!!

Once again, thank you

- Dean

Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6

The line near the wrist, at the top of the swing, is just lines used as reference to see how much your head moves. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

The line near the wrist, at the top of the swing, is just lines used as reference to see how much your head moves. 

Am I maintaining good position with my head?

- Dean

@saevel25 @iacas I wanted to come back to this to let you know that I have been working on fixing my MASSIVE (:-) I really enjoy that)   

hip sway.  Last night I had my wife tape me at the range on a bunch of swings and reviewed all of the video postings again today to compare and learn.  I really appreciate this and I do want to fix this and get better.

- Dean

• 3 years later...

20201204_102037.jpg

This is my 9i from my session this morning.  4 straight balls on the toe and finally 1 in the middle. 

10 out of 20 shots on my 7i, 9, 6i & 8i all were toe today.

Yesterday my first 8 balls were all toe on my 5i, 2Utility, 3Utility and 5 wood.  

Yesterday I adjusted better and finished strong center ball striking.

Today I moved closer to the center but still towards the toe.

To me the Driver seams a little odd in the fact that I am consistently finding the center of the face.  Yesterday I was center to center low and today I was center to center high on the face.  

Any ideas what to do to work on this would be appreciated

One good thing about this, I will not be prematurely wearing out the groves of my irons

- Dean

• Administrator
1 hour ago, djake said:

Any ideas what to do to work on this would be appreciated

What’s the largest swing you can make where you hit it solidly most times?

1/4 swing? 1/2?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

What’s the largest swing you can make where you hit it solidly most times?

1/4 swing? 1/2?

Good question.

Should I start with 1/4 swing and then after consistent contact increase to 1/2 swing?

I did start to work on what I thought is a 3/4 swing and that helps.  I had that 3/4 swing taped and it is a full swing.  What I thought a 1/2 swing was is actually a 3/4 swing

- Dean

@iacas 1/4 swing with my 7i and i was constantly center to center towards the hosel.   Right where I have been lining up the ball to try and correct for toe contact.

I did not try a 1/2 swing.

- Dean

• Administrator
3 hours ago, djake said:

Good question.

Should I start with 1/4 swing and then after consistent contact increase to 1/2 swing?

I did start to work on what I thought is a 3/4 swing and that helps.  I had that 3/4 swing taped and it is a full swing.  What I thought a 1/2 swing was is actually a 3/4 swing

What I’m asking is… make the biggest swing you can make with good contact, and keep trying to make it just a little bit longer and longer. If it’s a 1/4 swing for now, or 3/8, start there, and then push it.

On 12/4/2020 at 7:15 PM, iacas said:

What I’m asking is… make the biggest swing you can make with good contact, and keep trying to make it just a little bit longer and longer. If it’s a 1/4 swing for now, or 3/8, start there, and then push it.

That is what I thought you wanted and did that today.  Made significant progress with starting at 1/4 swing, then 1/2 swing and 3/4 swing.

Starting with 1/4 swing is something I am planning of for awhile in each of my sessions

- Dean

Note: This thread is 1230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!