IGNORED

My Swing (OBslice)

obslice
Note: This thread is 2457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 98 
My typical ball flight is: inconsistent
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: slice

I had a bad slice as a beginner, and now its back in my game.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am working on editing this video to slow motion during each swing, I'll have that up later. 

*note: last swing in video is 5 iron on a 180yd par 3 for reference, I'm hitting my irons pretty straight with no sidespin.

Videos: 

Edited by obslice

Please be mindful of your camera angles. Try to shoot so the camera is aimed down your toe-line, not down the target line of the golf ball. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (OBslice)

So, since I've gotten more cameraman tips than golf tips on this thread:whistle:, I'll just bump it with some additional information.  Seems like a big flaw of mine was not clearing my hips on the downswing, causing my hands to come out to in.  I've been reading about the reverse K setup to help this problem.

I got home from my league play today, first time using the reverse k setup.  Didn't have a chance to get to the range unfortunately, so the course was my first real practice with this new swing adjustment.  My league only plays 9 holes on a short and narrow course, so I only took the driver out 4 times.  I still had a slice with my driver off the tee.  I had one really good drive, baby fade on a short par 4 (265 from the whites), ended up 15 feet past the pin on the green and made birdie, my third eagle putt ever.  I'm using the reverse K with my irons as well, and I hit more pulls and fat shots than normal.  I am aware that the pull is the slice's slightly less ugly cousin.  There doesn't seem to be a consensus on using this setup with the entire bag.

I think I'm having trouble keeping my hips from sliding back on my backswing.  So effectively my hips are in the same place as before at contact.  Maybe subconsciously I feel like I'll lose power.  I need to get to the range to work more on this for sure. 

I also believe another swing fault is a poor follow through.  I think my swing is too narrow at the bottom, and I'm pulling back in too quickly.  Although I may be coming slightly in to out on the downswing, at the moment of contact my swing is quickly coming back in.  Can somebody tell me if this is a thing? 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, obslice said:

So, since I've gotten more cameraman tips than golf tips on this thread:whistle:,

Well… you've posted almost exclusively in this topic, and good camera angles are really important.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
41 minutes ago, iacas said:

Well… you've posted almost exclusively in this topic, and good camera angles are really important.

So you've seen my other post, the introduction that says I'm from Massachusetts.  Our special brand of sarcasm doesn't always translate well on message boards. Unfortunately the footage I posted was all I had at the time before I read the sticky and the article on camera position.  I will take my next video with a higher frame rate and more on the toe line, also post some swings from a head on angle.  I am serious about improving my game so some helpful advice is very important to me.  I am extremely thankful for any advice that I may at some point receive.

Until then I guess I'll just spray and pray...

Edited by obslice

Had a rough go of it at the range today... twice.  Got home from work and had some time to get to the range.  I thought I'd begin my practice by taking 20 half swings to work on consistent striking.  The problem was, I couldn't hit the ball, at all.  Everything was a low, awful, push or push slice.  I brought the gopro to take some video but was having problems with my SD card, adding to my frustration.  When I got home I smashed my SD card with a hammer to let out some frustration and guarantee it never ended up in one of my devices again.  After dinner and putting the kid to bed I went out again with a functional camera and had the same results.  

Here is the video, I can see that the clubface is way open on the takeaway.  My back muscles are a little sore so maybe that's causing me to use too much arm on the swing.  I practiced for a few hours this weekend on trying to pitch into a 5 gallon bucket in the yard so it's possible I developed some bad habits.  I really don't know how to go about fixing this.  This is the worst I've hit a golf ball since well before I began really trying to improve.

Note: This thread is 2457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!