IGNORED

SoftSpikes: Pulsars and Cleat Rippers

Note: This thread is 2427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

SoftSpikes recently sent me a set of the very popular Pulsar Golf Cleats, with a simple installation wrench, plus a Cleat Ripper to take out old spikes.

s-l300.jpged9c6fa9-d91a-4afc-968c-5ad8359c466a_1.1

I don't wear spiked shoes very often. My TRUE Elements Pros are spiked… but I haven't worn them enough to wear out the cleats. I will note that those cleats… are Pulsars from SoftSpikes! :-)

At any rate, one of my college golfers had a pair of shoes with spikes that were way beyond their replacement date.

Here they are…

2017-09-01 13.48.14.jpg

Here is Mark ripping out the cleats with the Cleat Ripper. Some came out pretty easily. Some… well, to be honest, some still haven't come out. We're investigating the use of a drill with a flathead screwdriver attached, or something…

2017-09-01 13.49.32.jpg

The cleat ripper works well when it worked. On this shoe, I popped out five of the cleats in about three minutes. Occasionally the Cleat Ripper would spin off, so trying to spin it around the center of the cleat was key.

2017-09-01 14.00.55.jpg

Here's the other shoe. Mark has managed to take one of the cleats out…

2017-09-01 20.06.32.jpg

Progress is ongoing. :-) I'll update the topic when Mark is able to get the other cleats out.

Again, as I noted, the Elements Pro has pulsars, and they've been great.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to SoftSpikes: Pulsars and Cleat Rippers

Let us know how they work out, I have Cyclones and they don't seem to be the most durable ones out there

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

I tried the Cleat Ripper. Ultimately had to use that tool PLUS Dawn dish soap to soak around the old spikes. (Then a little Vaseline on the old.)  -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I've used a small drill bit and drilled the holes a little bit deeper. the normal tool works then.  It gives the two spikes on the tool more to grip on to.

After about 1 hour, I managed to get them out. The key for me was using a flat head screwdriver to pry up the plastic part that screws in. That part of the spike had so much dirt in it that it was binded to the shoe like glue. Once it was pried open, the ripper took them out with ease.

IMG_20170902_110722.jpg

• Like 1

I learned my lesson with cleats.   This summer I replaced cleats which were about 2 years old and it took me 1 hour to get them all out. I'll replace them more often!  They aren't expensive. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

17 hours ago, tosob said:

I've used a small drill bit and drilled the holes a little bit deeper. the normal tool works then.  It gives the two spikes on the tool more to grip on to.

I never thought of that!

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

Note: This thread is 2427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!