IGNORED

Trivia Time!

bca42
Note: This thread is 5956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What "trophy" was given to the winner of The Open Championship before the famous Claret jug?

and...

Who was the first winner of the Claret Jug?

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What "trophy" was given to the winner of The Open Championship before the famous Claret jug?

I believe the old prize was a red Moroccan belt that would be kept permanently by the individual who won the Open three years in succession. After Young Tom Morris won the prize in 1868, '69, and '70, he kept the belt; without a suitable award, and with a slew of other difficulties, the Open was cancelled in 1871. The Claret Jug was first awarded in 1872; that year, it was won again by Young Tom Morris.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

What was the first televised Tour event and who was the winner?

Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

I believe the old prize was a red Moroccan belt that would be kept permanently by the individual who won the Open three years in succession. After Young Tom Morris won the prize in 1868, '69, and '70, he kept the belt; without a suitable award, and with a slew of other difficulties, the Open was cancelled in 1871. The Claret Jug was first awarded in 1872; that year, it was won again by Young Tom Morris.

Shouldn't you quote that answer?

What was the first

I believe it was the 1956 Tam O'Shanter. Lew Worsham won by a shot after holing a wedge for eagle on the last. Mark Frost writes that the wedge was struck fat, took a large hop at the front of the green, and rolled all the way into the cup.

What's in my bag:

4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

Shouldn't you quote that answer?

Actually, you won't believe me, but I knew it off the top of my head. The only thing I looked up was how to spell "Moroccan."

What's in my bag:

wrong, the first televised even was the 1947 US Open

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I believe it was the 1956 Tam O'Shanter. Lew Worsham won by a shot after holing a wedge for eagle on the last. Mark Frost writes that the wedge was struck fat, took a large hop at the front of the green, and rolled all the way into the cup.

Lew Worsham beat Sam Snead in the 1947 US Open.

ahemmmm.. right answer read up ahemmm.... lol

Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Actually, you won't believe me, but I knew it off the top of my head. The only thing I looked up was how to spell "Moroccan."

Well, kudos to you. I stumbled across that and was like, "Surely no one will know this without Googling it."

ahemmmm.. right answer read up ahemmm.... lol

You got half of it correct, however, you did not post the winner. Ahem!

You got half of it correct, however, you did not post the winner. Ahem!

pfffft you didnt ask for the winner..... did you

Yessir, I did.

About the whole "televised" question...

About.com asserts that "The U.S. Open was first televised in 1947, although only locally in the St. Louis area where the tournament was played. Lew Worsham defeated Sam Snead in a playoff."

The first nationally televised golf tournament was the 1953 Tam O'Shanter (I said 1956... apologies), which was also won by Lew Worsham on a final-hole eagle which I previously described. (I guess Worsham had a thing for TV.) So, just a bit of confusion...

What's in my bag:

I have a question (its a hard one) Ernie Els said this about who?
"that little shot he played on the last hole, i saw him play that shot quite a few times. I don't know which club he uses, but it really worked out well. every time he used it i think he got it up and down this week." Who was Ernie talking about, and what was the make of the club in question?

When John Daly won the 1991 PGA who was his club sponsor?

Driver R7 460 ti
3 Wood eye 2
Hybrids 18 and 22 degree torch series
Irons Sliver Scot 4-pw
Sand Wedge 54 degree deep red
Lob Wedge 60 degree cg11 satin finish
Putter white hot XG #9

In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

I have a question (its a hard one) Ernie Els said this about who?

Sonartec Hybrid Todd Hamilton :)
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

When John Daly won the 1991 PGA who was his club sponsor?

Maxfli/TaylorMade?

In My Grom Stand Bag:

Driver:
Big Bertha 460 Graphite 10°
Woods: Big Bertha 3&5 Graphite
Hybrid: r7 Rescue 19° Irons: 06 Big Bertha #4-SWPutter: 35 in. Rossie Mallet *Soon to be Bettinardi C03H 34"Ball: ProV1x

Note: This thread is 5956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!