IGNORED

Golf to become a two-tier game?

Note: This thread is 6840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I caught the tail-end of a radio coversation in which Tom watson was espousing the benefits of producing a 'Pro's-only' softer compound ball which would reduce distances by 20%.
The rationale is that sooner or later (probably sooner), most courses will run out of Real Estate. Take The Open at St. Andrews this year as an example - they tried to make the course 'Tiger Proof', but of course, it didn't make the slightest bit of difference, either to Tiger, or the rest of the field.
Even on an amateur level, modern equipment allows players to burst through the natural defenses of golf courses. Recently I played some courses that I hadn't played for many years, and I was amazed at how my increased hitting power had altered the characteristics of the courses.
Do you think this plan is the way forward, or do you think that like motor racing's F1, engineers will soon have the Pro's hitting the ball as far as ever?

• Administrator
We've published numerous articles here on The Sand Trap about the distance debate. The main point here is that there has been an increase in distance in the past 10-20 years, but it's a lot more involved than just the ball. How about the drivers themselves? Or how courses are maintained? Or conditioning? Launch monitors?

Truth is, 20 years ago a "distance ball" went about as far as today's balls do, they just didn't have the feel and spin that today's ball has managed to marry with the distance.

And FWIW, "Tiger proofing" a course only ensures that Tiger will win. Some of the shorter courses on the PGA Tour have the higher scoring averages - look at Harbor Town vs. the Las Vegas area courses or the Bob Hope type courses. Look at Spyglass and Pebble and such.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think that will ever happen. A couple of tournaments ago they interviewed the USGA president and he basically stated that they would never allow one ball for the pros and one for the amateurs. He said that was one great part of the game is that an amateur can go out and purchase the same equipment that the pros play with.

I guess time will tell.

Driver: X460 10°
Hybrid: Heavenwood 2H
Irons: X-12 3-PW
Wedges: Vintage Forged 48° & 56°
Putter: DF 990Ball: HX Hot

I was discussing this topic today with my regular fourball (after we'd sorted the rest of the World's ails) and we've come to the conclusion that Tournament Directors should place far greater emphasis on accuracy.
Narrower fairways, strategic bunkering and punishing rough would probably be at least as effective as having a softer compound ball. I played a course today where I had to use the 15th club (the head) quite a lot more than usual - it wasn't simply a case of reaching for the driver at every hole. And you know what? I really enjoyed it :)

...that Tournament Directors should place far greater emphasis on accuracy....

100% agree. There is so much to mess with - rough, lies, greens, width of the fairway, elevation - making it simply longer is not the way to go. Soon you won't be able to reach par 4 in 2 unless you're built like Hulk Hogan... or you're playing latest equipment

Enough already. 7500 yds courses have nothing to do with golf like it was ment to be played.

Enough already. 7500 yds courses have nothing to do with golf like it was ment to be played.

I'll drink to that! A pal of mine is a member at Dalmahoy, near Edinburgh, where they have recently upped the yardage to 7475

For us mere mortals, that's one heck of a slog!!

• Administrator
Nobody remembers the 200-yard 4-iron to 35 feet on the sixth hole at some boring, long golf course.

People do remember the 160-yard drawn 8-iron around a tree and over some hellish bunkers to 35 feet, though, even if they hit a 3W off the tee for position.

Distance is not everything. Heck, here are two articles that speak to that:
Driving Distance vs. Accuracy
Distance is Everything?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 6840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!