IGNORED

Golf Digest's play Torrey Pines on TV event

Ben
Note: This thread is 5909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://usga.ionmx.com/apps/redir.asp...iliate_id%3d2b

Anyone signed up for this yet? They are giving someone the opportunity to play Torrey Pines in US Open conditions on NBC a week before the actual event. On top of that the foursome will be rounded out by celebrity golfers.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

It's a longshot but I'm in. Regardless who they pick, it will be a brutal set-up and kind of a unique take that I have not seen before.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

I'm in, too. Hey, you never know, right?

I'm grateful that they are not taking the players' advice of having the amateurs play the course the day after the event. Apparently, this is when the course is at it's most difficult.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

i wouldn't dare do it, but i nominated my dad-he's about an 8...he taught me this great game, and it wold be great repayment if he got picked. if he doesn't i'll just not bust his balls as often!

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

What are the odds I'd break 100 at Torrey Pines from the forward-men's tees without US Open conditions?

I plan to play TP when I can hit in the mid-80s consistently at lesser known courses.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've played Torrey Pines South about 10 or so times and it is a difficult course IMO. The breeze coming off the ocean and the dense air make for some tricky conditions and yardages are longer than they seem because of that. It really made me work on my long game because everytime I hit a shot it seemed I was always 180-200+ yards out on a par 4. I've played from the blues at just about 7200 yards and from the whites at about 6800 yards. The forward tees are no cup of tea either of about 6400-6500 yards. My best score to date was around last Thanksgiving and it was 102 from the whites, riding. The last time I played was about 3 weeks ago, I walked, played from the blues and I shot 113. The rough was just starting to get long, but the greens hard and fast. I played with 1 friend of mine who played from the Blacks, his handicap is 3 and he shot an 86. The other 2 guys I played with, were visiting from Minnesota (I think that's what they said), played from the blues, and shot well into the 100's, stating they usually play from the blue tees, so I went with it. This weekend I expect low scores because of the rain which will really soften up the greens and the players should be shooting right at the flags. If the greens aren't rolling 12-12.5 it should be an easy course for a PGA Tour Pro.

So in short as a ~23 handicap...no, you wouldn't break 100 from the forward tees in everyday playing conditions.

In My Bag:
Driver: R9 TP 9.5°
Hybrids: Idea Pro, 16°, 20°, VS Proto
Irons: TP MB 4-P
Wedges: Vokey SM 50.08 54°, 60°Putter: NP2

I signed up for it and just got an email today saying that I am in the top 5% chosen and have made it to round 2 of the qualifications. I have to send them a video of my swing, and a letter of recommendation from the pro a where I have my GHIN membership out of, and then my handicap index card. They said they had over 56,000 entries and only 5% are left.

Anyone else get this email? FYI if it ever comes down to it, they vote for the top 5 finalists on March 27th. If I make it that far, vote for me please, you can do so by clicking the link Ben has posted up above. Thanks!!
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

That's cool Finn! That'd be great if you were to go on. I'll be sure to vote.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

whoa Finn that's awesome!!

good luck man!! I hope you get it!

In My Bag:
Driver: R9 TP 9.5°
Hybrids: Idea Pro, 16°, 20°, VS Proto
Irons: TP MB 4-P
Wedges: Vokey SM 50.08 54°, 60°Putter: NP2

I submitted an entry. I'm only a 17 handicap, but it's coming down fast and I think I an break 100. I think it will be tough, but not impossible. Smart play and a little luck here and there will help.

Long shot for sure, but worth a chance. I'd take it!!!
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Finn - as soon as the voting starts, start a thread and remind us all so we can swamp them with votes for you.

Oh one more thing............. need a caddie?
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

I have to send them a video of my swing, and a

Sounds like you have to either be a member somewhere or have a good relationship with a pro where you get your handicap figured. I bet this knocks a lot of that 5% out of the running.

Best of luck, and definitely keep us informed!!!
In my bag:

Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

• 4 weeks later...
Finn, any updates? Have you moved on or are you waiting for more word after sending in your info?

Hopefully you have some good news for us all!
In my bag:

No updates yet, I think they choose on March 27th, ill let you guys know.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

No updates yet, I think they choose on March 27th, ill let you guys know.

I entered and they mentioned me "opera singer" in the update article. BUT since I haven't heard from them I think I didn't make the cut. I didn't send a video and that might have hurt, too busy getting ready to move!

GOOD LUCK DUDE! You are the chosen Sand Trap rep!

g-funk,
if you did an origianl golf interpretation to I think is was a song from Oklahoma, then your video made it to a web page on Golf Digest. Some of the submitted videos were excellent. The singer, whether or not it was you, stood out to say the least.

I didn't make the 5%, but I didn't really think I would either. Good Luck Finn!

David C. Cleveland

In My Bag:

Driver: Big Bertha 4603 Wood: Big BerthaHybrid: Rescue Dual 3 19 degreeIrons: Big Bertha 2006Wedges: x forged mdPutter: 33 inch Natalie center shaftedBall: HX TourHome Course: Wellshire Golf Course, Denver, COVisit my musings at...

Note: This thread is 5909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!