IGNORED

Are most people exagerating their long drive exploits

jfrain2004
Note: This thread is 5953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For sure. The problem is that most people never actually measure their drives. They think of them in relative terms... how far they hit the ball in realtion to other players in the group and how close they are to the green for the second shot (in terms of the club they will use).

The other guys they think are hitting 250-60 are only hitting 235-40, so when their ball is 10-15 yards past them, they assume they hit it 270ish. And when they are on a 380yd par-4, just because they are hitting a PW to to the green they assume the drive was "Tiger-like", but in fact they hit it where Tiger could hit a 5 wood, if he took a little off it.

SubPar

This thread is horrible. A bunch of guys patting themselves on the back for hitting a golf ball 225 yards.

What's wrong with 225 yard drives? At the moment, that would be an improvement for me.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What's wrong with 225 yard drives? At the moment, that would be an improvement for me.

Nothing. I am happy for you. Its just people who hit it short and cast out a line, in this case a thread looking for others who hit it short like they do. Then they can all say we all hit it short how can anyone be telling the truth about hitting it long. These distance threads are a joke. Of course people will make numbers up but to a majority of players, players who are not only athletic but also fundementally sound with there golf swing 225 is not very long.

Nothing. I am happy for you. Its just people who hit it short and cast out a line, in this case a thread looking for others who hit it short like they do. Then they can all say we all hit it short how can anyone be telling the truth about hitting it long. These distance threads are a joke. Of course people will make numbers up but to a majority of players, players who are not only athletic but also fundementally sound with there golf swing 225 is not very long.

I know what my swing speed is and the maximum distance I can get out of it. The people that claim 300yds don't have the swing speed to back it up. But, whatever. Just like the thread about people who don't play by rules and then say, "I shot 81", let them enjoy. You got a 300yd drive? Awesome for you. Enjoy the game. Lets play for money and please give me 5 strokes since you drive it so far.

I know what my swing speed is and the maximum distance I can get out of it. The people that claim 300yds don't have the swing speed to back it up. But, whatever. Just like the thread about people who don't play by rules and then say, "I shot 81", let them enjoy. You got a 300yd drive? Awesome for you. Enjoy the game. Lets play for money and please give me 5 strokes since you drive it so far.

Thanks for proving my point. You are only looking for answers you want to hear. Sorry I can't be lumped in with the 225 crowd. But I'll tell you what, I will give you the stroke if we play long drive on every hole. I enjoy the game as much as anyone, but this is a message board so the answers you get to questions that are posed you have to live with. Sorry if thats not believable to you. I think the peoples handicaps would fall under the same category as how far do you drive it.

This thread is horrible. A bunch of guys patting themselves on the back for hitting a golf ball 225 yards.

Your reply really isn't consistent with what is being said in the majority of posts. You just seem bitter for some reason.

Your reply really isn't consistent with what is being said in the majority of posts. You just seem bitter for some reason.

Thanks Doc, what do I owe ya?

Thanks Doc, what do I owe ya?

Nothing since I was nondescript about your perceived bitterness. Perhaps I will post later about anger towards your mother or something, and then I'll send you a bill for $150.

Thanks for proving my point. You are only looking for answers you want to hear. Sorry I can't be lumped in with the 225 crowd. But I'll tell you what, I will give you the stroke if we play long drive on every hole. I enjoy the game as much as anyone, but this is a message board so the answers you get to questions that are posed you have to live with. Sorry if thats not believable to you. I think the peoples handicaps would fall under the same category as how far do you drive it.

I'm not sure if there is a game called "long drive", but don't get me wrong, I believe you. And to show how much I believe you, show up in San Jose at $100/hole and I'll be there just to watch in amazement the way you hit the ball. And with your 300yd drives, what do you have to worry about? It will be sure money for you. Let me know.

JG

I'm not sure if there is a game called "long drive", but don't get me wrong, I believe you. And to show how much I believe you, show up in San Jose at $100/hole and I'll be there just to watch in amazement the way you hit the ball. And with your 300yd drives, what do you have to worry about? It will be sure money for you. Let me know.

I tell you what, if you are a really nice guy I might give you my autograph. You could even caddy for me.

I play as a single quite a lot and post about 60 rounds a year, so I get a chance to play with a lot of "average" golfers. In the last ten years I'd have to say I've played with only a handful of people who can drive the ball over 260 off the tee. Most are in the 225-250 range.

A few of those who could hit the ball upwards of 280-90 were usually lucky if the ball stayed on the course. God bless those who can hit to ball 280+ yards, but they are rare among amateurs. As someone pointed out earlier, the average on tour is around 280 so it can't be that easy to do. Choi and Stricker average just under 280 and when Furyk was #2 in the world a few months ago he only averaged 271!

I go to the pro-am every year at Tiger's tournament at Sherwood. The pros tee off a good 40-50 yards behind the amateurs and I don't believe I have ever seen an amateur hit it past a pro off the tee. Even the 1 and 2 handicappers can't match them.

Nothing wrong with being a realist.

SubPar

length off the tee is equated with length of penis and so guys exagerate how far they hit the ball

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

I play as a single quite a lot and post about 60 rounds a year, so I get a chance to play with a lot of "average" golfers. In the last ten years I'd have to say I've played with only a handful of people who can drive the ball over 260 off the tee. Most are in the 225-250 range.

Being a realist you should know that just using common sense would tell you that can't be true. Everyone knows pro players make there money with their short game. Many scratch players are just as long as pros. If a scratch player is spotted forty or fifty yards ahead of a pro you would have definitely seen some who were ahead of the pros. You must have only watched Tiger and compared his ball to that of amatures.

Being a realist you should know that just using common sense would tell you that can't be true. Everyone knows pro players make there money with their short game. Many scratch players are just as long as pros. If a scratch player is spotted forty or fifty yards ahead of a pro you would have definitely seen some who were ahead of the pros. You must have only watched Tiger and compared his ball to that of amatures.

I don't follow any one player and the number I have watched tee off with amateurs is dozens, ranging from Toms to Couples to Duval to Goosen to Montgomery, etc. I am not saying it can't happen, but it so rare I just happen to have never seen it at Sherwood. Obviously, I am referring only to my personal experience and not to universal absolutes.

I'm sure now and then an amateur might hit it past the pro. How many scratch golfers do you think play in pro-ams anyway? Most of them are 8-15 handicappers, but Kenny G and a few others I've seen are low handicappers. The point is that it is very rare for amateur players to drive a ball over 270 on a regular basis. I play occasionally with a .5 handicap and he seldom drives the ball farther than 275-80. The point made in this thread is that most people don't hit their drives as far as they think they do, or claim they do and given that the tour average is around 280, it is not unexpected to find a lot of mid-handicappers drive only 230-250. Subpar

I don't follow any one player and the number I have watched tee off with amateurs is dozens, ranging from Toms to Couples to Duval to Goosen to Montgomery, etc. I am not saying it can't happen, but it so rare I just happen to have never seen it at Sherwood. Obviously, I am referring only to my personal experience and not to universal absolutes.

I'll buy that. My problem is this site constantly has these long drive threads where no one believes each other but on the other hand everyone believes the handicapps. The handicapps are just as likely to be skewed as the length of drives. These long drive threads just seem to be conflict driven.

its almost always exagerated. i was talking to my friend who is a caddy, and he said in the scramble e played, he crushed one 270. i played with him, and his longest carry was about 200, rolled to 210. please be honest. right now i know i can't play from the back tees, i can only pop it 210 on AVERAGE swing, 170 on CRAPTASTIC swings, and maybe, possibly 240 on my TIGER MOMENT swing

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Note: This thread is 5953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!