IGNORED

Public Courses in Jacksonville

Note: This thread is 796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am heading to Jacksonville with some buddies to play golf in a few weeks.  We were looking for some good public tracks to play.  I know of TPC Sawgrass and that is a little more than we are willing to spend.  

Are there any recommendations of where to play by any North Floridians?

South Hampton, Cimmerron, Hyde Park, & St Johns off of Hwy 210 are all great public options. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

South Hampton, Cimmerron, Hyde Park, & St Johns off of Hwy 210 are all great public options. 

I had Cimmaron on my list.  St Johns Course and South Hampton sound good too.  What about Eagle Harbor GC?  Have you ever played that one?

2 hours ago, Nutsmacker said:

I had Cimmaron on my list.  St Johns Course and South Hampton sound good too.  What about Eagle Harbor GC?  Have you ever played that one?

I have not played Eagle Harbor as I didn't get over on the Orange Park side of the river often. I drove by it and it looked nice. 

I would rank St Johns and South Hampton over Cimmaron. They're about 3 minutes away from each other so it is easy to get 36 in at different courses.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I'm heading down that way in a few weeks as well. @kpaulhus called out 2 of the 3 courses on our list.  St Johns and Southampton.

The other two places you may want to consider is the Slammer & Squire course at World Golf Village and my area favorite, The King and The Bear track near World Golf Village.

Of those five courses, Cimmeron would be #5.  Not in that great shape, (played it twice) and an overabundance of water.  Seemed to me, they used lateral water hazards to keep people away from on-course homes.  Lots of balls die a watery death on that course.

So you're left with 4 top-notch courses in the immediate (south of Jacksonville) area.

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Thanks for the input guys.  I think we are going to do St Johns, South Hampton, and Eagle Harbor.  Eagle Harbor sounds pretty good from the research I have done and it has a popular island green.  While we won't be playing the famous island green at Sawgrass, we can pretend we are at Eagle Harbor.   We are also hoping that there is some fish activity on the creek and river. 

22 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

How much is Sawgrass to play going off topic?

Because you asked this and I was thinking about it some more; I went to their site and looked at their tee time booking page.  The prices are actually in the 500 range. The lowest rate is $450 and the highest is $550.  I might have looked at the prices during off season which is where I got the 400 number.  

The bottom line is that it is expensive!  I would love to play there but I cannot justify spending that much on a round of golf.  Marriott has some specials that you can get if you stay on the property where you are paying about 500 a night for the room but it comes with a round of golf.  I guess that would make it more palatable if you needed a nice place to stay in Jax.  

2 minutes ago, Nutsmacker said:

Because you asked this and I was thinking about it some more; I went to their site and looked at their tee time booking page.  The prices are actually in the 500 range. The lowest rate is $450 and the highest is $550.  I might have looked at the prices during off season which is where I got the 400 number.  

The bottom line is that it is expensive!  I would love to play there but I cannot justify spending that much on a round of golf.  Marriott has some specials that you can get if you stay on the property where you are paying about 500 a night for the room but it comes with a round of golf.  I guess that would make it more palatable if you needed a nice place to stay in Jax.  

That is pretty steep to go out and get your but kicked on that course. I'd probably consider it with the hotel deal. Not sure what Hotels run there but most Marriott, if they are a resort, are 200 a night. I think I'd rather play drop the money for Pebble than Sawgrass.

Trollin' is the life

• 3 years later...

Reviving an old thread. Any advice welcomed. I am going to St. Augustine in February. Doing the 2 hall of fame courses. 1st time golf trip and my 2 other buddies wanted to play the Slammer and King courses.  We did not book a Sunday round was thinking St. Johns or the course close to Jax airport. Any recommendations for a Sunday morning round to end my trip? Any feedback on the 2 HOF courses? It was a last minutes thrown together trip to get out of LI in Feb. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Note: This thread is 796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!