IGNORED

Rotella and Your Mental Approach to Golf

iacas
Note: This thread is 6829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I borrowed "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" from Dave (NCGolfer) when he was up here last week. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it (just started the putting bits).

I used to play baseball and pitch, and I was pretty good. When pitching, the batter would disappear, the ump and catcher would disappear. I'd see, literally, a stitch on the catcher's glove, or a speckle of dirt, or something. I'd throw to that spot. I wouldn't aim at it, but that's all I saw. The ball was destined to go there (or darn close).

I shoot rifles (sometimes competitively) and handguns. I don't aim at the bullseye - I aim at the center of the bullseye.

I play hockey. When I'm making a pass or firing at the goalie, I don't aim at the goal or my teammate - I aim at an ice shaving or a knot in the net.

The point I'm making here is that my targets in nearly every other sport have been incredibly small. The smaller the target, the easier it is to be accurate. A 10% miss on a target that's 1" big is a lot closer than a 10% miss on a target that's 10" big (like a strike zone).

Granted, a hole 4 1/4" from 450 yards is pretty small too, but you're not aiming at the hole on your drive (and often not on your approach).

Lately, having read the first part of the Rotella book, I've really been picking my targets a lot more carefully. I've always picked an intermediate target to help me align my clubface, but I've moved away from focusing on that as my main target.

In other words, my pre-shot routine is now:
a) analyze the wind, lie, etc. Pick the club, blah blah blah.
b) pick a precise target. "at that tree" isn't good enough. At the small hole in the tree, or at a branch on the tree, is.
c) Stand behind the ball on the line and make a practice swing. Two at the most. Visualize the shot on the follow through, tracking right on line.
d) Pick an intermediate target. Walk to the ball, align the club to the intermediate target, take my stance.
e) look at the distant target.
f) two quick waggles
g) look at the distant target
h) two quick waggles while thinking "drive the ball to the target, trust it"*
i) swing

* My use of the phrase "drive" the ball applies on any shot. It's a swing thought that's non-mechanical and intended to make sure I don't try to steer the shot. I want to unleash the ball towards the target.

In other words, mechanical thoughts exist only in my practice swing, to ingrain a feeling for the shot or to get a feel for a cut or a draw. After that, it's all about letting my body hit the ball towards a very precise target. I've hit thousands of good golf shots on the line I want - no reason to suspect that every time I step up in the future I can't do it again.

Inside of 125 yards - my full PW or some half or 3/4 shots with 9I or 8I if the wind is up - I'm thinking of holing the shot. My target is the point at which the flagstick disappears into the cup.

I've really been impressed by this. When I don't put my best swing on the ball, my body knows well enough to adjust and hit the ball reasonably well. It self-corrects instead of self-analyzes (and thus self-paralyzes).

I'm really digging it so far. I've only played 27 or 36 holes with this new mentality in place, but I've gone from being in a a bit of a slump to shooting a rather ordinary +2 in very windy conditions (a good score for me).

Finally, a question: how would you summarize your mental approach to golf?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm really digging it so far.

I love Rotella's books. Like I said, they are an easy read and speak in very simple terms. I'm glad you've enjoyed them.

how would you summarize your mental approach to golf?

I have a repeatable pre-shot routine. The same for every shot. A must if you are going to think consistently as well. Even when I hit balls I still go through it. Practicing it is important to me and should be to everyon else.

I keep swing thoughts to a minimum...usually only one. The range is the place for working on your swing and training yourself. I also try and vision the shot as well and feel it before I swing. Rotella has talked about how Fred Couples told him that he visualizes the best shot he ever hit with the club he has in his hand before he takes a shot. Very cool. One of the things that Rotella has stressed and I struggle with is the 'between shots' mindset. I often get way ahead of myself and when I have a good round going I start thinking numbers and how low I can go. This is a big no-no and you have to take golf one shot at a time. Anything you think about but the shot in front of you is going to get in the way of executing the shot as best you can. I would highly recommend people to think about this topic.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

This is a thread I can sink my teeth into.

I like the targeting ideas Eric.

Dave: Getting ahead of one's self is my main problem I think. I have many rounds this year where I'm several strokes under par and then think "wow, I could shot a...." That's the death thought...

May need to check out the Rotella book.

I read all his books when I was in high school and loved them. Your post might make me re-read them.

As for my mental approach, I just try not to think. I just step up, take a deep breath, hit it and find it- just hopefully in the jar.

Josh Premuda
www.thesandtrap.com

Driver Titleist 905T 8.5 degrees
Ping I2 3-wood 14 degreesTitleist 503.H hybrid 22 degreesTitleist DCI 962 3-9 6.5 Rifle shaftTitleist Vokey Oil Can wedges 48, 58 degreesScratch Golf 3x Black Wedge 54 degreesBig Oak Putter, T'ville 34"

• 2 weeks later...
I checked out "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" from the library and bought "The Golfer's Mind" today because I am enjoying the first one so much. Man, it is taking the pressure off of my game. I went out yesterday and avoided any thoughts of mechanics and I did much better. I'm looking foreword to pulling some more gems out of Rotella's mind.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Lately, my mental game is a mess. I can hit beautiful shots all day long at the range. From driver to wedge, I strike them as well as a high handicapper can. I would say that if I could take that game to the course I'd be in the single digits in no time.

Out on the course I just can't get into the groove. Waaaaaayyyy too much thinking about arms and angles and planes and everything. The pressure I put on myself to do well has been my biggest burden.

The last 9 I played I didn't think about any of that and did rather well. I fully understand what you're saying about no or only one mechanical swing thought but it has been much easier said than done for me. For the next several rounds my mind will be concentrating on targets and nothing else.

They said on The Golf Channel last night that Gore forgot that he was putting for 59 as he was standing over the putt. Now that is some mind control - or he's just crazy.

Note: This thread is 6829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!