IGNORED

Yips Tips

Note: This thread is 1986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

guys , i gotta admit .. i've been playin all my life .. once got my handicap down 2. something.. but i would like to hear advise on yip tips .. i can't putt worth phooey anymore where it used to be the only reason i had a low handicap .. i've tried different grips .. mind thoughts.. i give up.. played the other day and i think i hit every fairway and almost all greens but ruined the round w/ 3 putts.. i don't play as much anymore as my son already proved he wasn't tour material and has a family now.. ha ha--- HELP!

14 minutes ago, davidg said:

i can't putt worth phooey anymore where it used to be the only reason i had a low handicap .. 

Thats highly highly unlikely.

Try starting a "My Swing" thread showing your putting. It's impossible to give you accurate advice without seeing your putting motion.

14 minutes ago, davidg said:

played the other day and i think i hit every fairway and almost all greens but ruined the round w/ 3 putts..

Exactly how many GIR did you hit, how many 3 putts and total putts did you have, what was your overall score?

Using a stats system like GameGolf or Arccos is very beneficial in objectively determining where your weaknesses are. 

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, davidg said:

where it used to be the only reason i had a low handicap .. 

Come on. That's a ludicrous notion.

If you had 18 putts every round it wouldn't give you a 15 handicap if you couldn't keep the ball in play.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

19 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Come on. That's a ludicrous notion.

If you had 18 putts every round it wouldn't give you a 15 handicap if you couldn't keep the ball in play.

i had a low handicap because i was real good from off the green .i missed my fair share of fairways but still in play , resulting in missed greens and a lot of 1 putts.. this is not a job interview , i'm asking if anyone has had success at recovering from yips... 15 handicap?? if anyone only has 18 putts in a round they will be extremely low..wtf?

46 minutes ago, klineka said:

Thats highly highly unlikely.

Try starting a "My Swing" thread showing your putting. It's impossible to give you accurate advice without seeing your putting motion.

Exactly how many GIR did you hit, how many 3 putts and total putts did you have, what was your weaknesses are. 

sorry , i didn't keep up w/ those stats .. it was  a weird round which turned into practice . i hooked up w/ 2 elderly guys and i just agreed to play from the front tees w/ them .. they only played 9 so i played the back by myself from the tips..i remember missing about three greens.. would have ended up shooting low 80's . it don't matter. i just had a bad case of yips that ruined the day

11 minutes ago, davidg said:

... 15 handicap?? if anyone only has 18 putts in a round they will be extremely low..wtf?

I rest my case. Don't go seeking advice when you aren't even interested in seeing reality. Sorry.

2 minutes ago, davidg said:

i participate in 4 forums .. all but one of them has at least 1 jackass .. don't be that jackass

You are the new member to this forum, not @Shorty, I dont think its fair or accurate of you to accuse him or anyone on this forum of being a jackass when you haven't even been a member here for a full month. 

You can be very good at golf and be a lousy putter, the owner of this site wrote a book which references how much more important the long game and the full swing is compared to putting. 

People on this site are very skeptical, and rightfully so, when new members claim that their putting is holding them back and the main reason they are not scoring as well as they think they should be.

The skepticism you faced from Shorty (and would have/will face from other members on here) is exactly why I recommended submitting a video of yourself putting so people on this site can help.

Simply asking for advice on how to fix the putting yips isn't going to get you very much on this particular forum.

• Like 1

i accused him of being a jackass about as much as you 2 accused me of being a liar.. i'm telling the truth ..it's like this .. i was always A player on a scramble team but i wasn't much help because i wasn't real long and i wasn't real good at approach shots.. i was real good from close and around the green.. not much help in a scramble.. as far as a video that's not gonna show what's going on between the ears .. if i was fighting a slice yes , but not this and thanks for the offer. i've looked on line but all you find is instructors that never experienced the problem and are trying to sell a video.. i could TELL somebody what to do .. anybody else? i know i'm new to the forum but that don't mean i just started playing.. i said all my life and i'm 62 .. that's a long time .. btw i trained a 12 yr old boy to a + 1 handicap in 3 yrs

8 minutes ago, davidg said:

i btw i trained a 12 yr old boy to a + 1 handicap in 3 yrs

You take credit for that, but believe that anyone can be a low marker if they can putt. The picture is becoming very clear. :-) You can "train a 12 year old to be +1 in 3 years" - maybe he had something to do with it. But you want "advise"(sic) about the yips? Seriously?

Edited by Shorty

yeah , i take a lot of credit and he would agree , he did have to get to the golf course everyday, and a lot of hard work and dedication on his part also .. you might not know but tour pros seek advise on yips .........you really don't know much about this game do ya ??i guess not , you spend 90% of your awaken hrs on the forum 

35 minutes ago, davidg said:

yeah , i take a lot of credit and he would agree , he did have to get to the golf course everyday, and a lot of hard work and dedication on his part also .. you might not know but tour pros seek advise on yips .........you really don't know much about this game do ya ??i guess not , you spend 90% of your awaken hrs on the forum 

You must be an amazing teacher. And modest with it. Tell us - what would you tell your protege if he asked you for "advise" (advice) about the yips?

And... for the record, the owner of the site will attest to this, I have spent very little time here in the last couple of years. One of things that keeps me away is people who think they know a lot, are boastful and arrogant, and then ask for help when their questions indicate a lack of personal insight and desire for self-improvement. You are not the first person who lately has quoted age as a way of authenticating a flawed belief. I can promise you, a good putter does not a low handicapper make. 

Edited by Shorty

40 minutes ago, davidg said:

you might not know but tour pros seek advise on yips .........

You might not know but the number of tour players that use mental coaches has significantly decreased in recent years.

3 hours ago, davidg said:

i've tried different grips ..

1 hour ago, davidg said:

as far as a video that's not gonna show what's going on between the ears .. 

If your problem is only between your ears and nothing is wrong with your actual putting stroke then why did you try different grips?

I've offered a way in which members of this site would help you. There are numerous people on this forum that teach golfers for a living. They are excellent instructors and are fantastic at helping improve physical aspects of a golf swing including putting. 

Since you seem to know what your problem is, go see a sports psychologist in person.

ok thanx- but for playing about 10 times a year (maybe)  i really doubt i'm gonna do that , but thanks anyway.. yips are always in between the ears .. but like many tour players , different grips and techniques are natural to try .. just look @ bernhard langer , he struggled hard .. i'm sure he and many others resorted to psychologist but a very different situation.. golf is one of many "hobbies" i pursue now that my son is not that active anymore... i found out how this forum is real quick.. i think i'll bow out now and let you gentlemen continue to argue w/ ea. other

28 minutes ago, davidg said:

yips are always in between the ears .. 

In the sense that the brain controls all motor function in the body, then yes. 

In the sense that the yips are just a "mental" thing, then no.

Hopefully this article helps. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/05/26/the-yips?irgwc=1&source=affiliate_impactpmx_12f6tote_desktop_Skimbit Ltd.&mbid=affiliate_impactpmx_12f6tote_desktop_Skimbit Ltd.

just look @ bernhard langer , he struggled hard .. i'm sure he and many others resorted to psychologist but a very different situation.. 

The article I linked above specifically mentioned Langer and how he made physical adjustments with his grip, stroke, and equipment to combat his yips, but does not mention anything about him seeing a sport psychologist. 

i found out how this forum is real quick.. i think i'll bow out now and let you gentlemen continue to argue w/ ea. other

I dont agree with some of the statements you have made, and I have presented reasons why I disagree, but I have still made multiple attempts to help by suggesting you should post videos of your putting stroke, asked for details about your specific game, etc all in an effort to help you. 

That's how this forum is. We dont always agree with each other, we might debate a lot and some people may never change their minds on things, but at the end of the day we all are passionate about golf and want to help each other succeed as much as possible. 

If you dont want to be a part of that, fine, you dont have to. Good luck and hopefully you find a solution to your problem.

Edited by klineka
Spelling

• iacas changed the title to Yips Tips
  • Administrator

@davidg, here's what I suggest.

You need to figure out how to "short circuit" your brain. Most yips seem to be caused from your eyes "seeing" something that they don't like and then your muscles will "twitch" or whatever to try to make a last-ditch effort to correct it.

Try putting side saddle. Try putting with one hand on the putter only. Try putting lefty. Try putting with the leading edge of a wedge.

Then, report back. See which ones allow you to make what you feel is a yip-free stroke.

To the both of you, c'mon. How is any of what you did above helpful?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

To the both of you, c'mon. How is any of what you did above helpful?

I suggested that he start a swing thread specifically for his putting, asked for specific data points about his game in an effort to determine if putting is really what is holding him back, and provided a pretty in depth article about the yips, hoping that some thoughts in that article might help him.

All of those were attempts to be helpful.

The portions of my posts that werent helpful to this topic were me defending someone else from being called a jackass and me supporting the forum after being judged by the OP after 10 posts and less than a month of membership. 

2 hours ago, klineka said:

If you dont want to be a part of that, fine, you dont have to. Good luck and hopefully you find a solution to your problem.

After reading this again, I can see how it might come off as insincere or sarcastic, but that's not the case and was not my intention. I really do hope he finds a solution to his problem.

The only way to eliminate the yips is to train your mind to stop focusing on making the putt and focus solely on the process. This is easier said than done. However, if you can stay in the present and not worry about the outcome, you will not have fear and you will be more relaxed. This will allow your mind to instinctively read the green, determine how the ball will break and give you the proper direction and force to apply to sink the putt.

Note: This thread is 1986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!