IGNORED

My Golf Conundrum.

Jarno
Note: This thread is 5955 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Long rant on my past year and what I expect out of 2008. I will post progress reports here or maybe another thread. Along with photo's and video's of lesson sessions.

This should be a good read.

As you may or may not have noticed it has been a while since I have previously posted or even lurked on the Trap. I've had some situations in my golf game as to where I question my presence on the course and even more on the practice tee.

It started over the summer of 07, I signed with Callaway to become an assistant staff representative. Which means I use their equipment at all tournaments and wear their apparel and get paid if I win with their equipment. I was a great gig, but then I started playing worse and worse and worse. I began losing a lot of strokes on shots I knew I could make in my sleep.

Now I must make a point that I am one who believes ever person needs to see a Professional before they buy a new piece of equipment unless it's more than 5-7 years old (considering technology is advancing so bloody fast).

But all summer I had been working with one of my bosses, who is a Class A PGA instructor (the highest achievement in the PGA teaching program). We were working on twisting my hands over, like opening a door from 9 o'clock to impact to decrease the loft of the club. I used to hit it extremely high from 56* all they way to driver. So we worked on that until I got the X-forged. And after a few sessions we decided it was best I switch from the blades to the 695CB's which are cavity but they are blade thickness, I have a psychological thing about looking down at a huge club head.

So we switched and it took a while to get back to basics, I never got back to what I had originally started at before the beginning of summer. So I just chugged along playing mediocre to poor golf with members, and feeling really down every time I left the course. I always wanted to play just to get out there but I would leave everytime extremely disappointed.

So in October I decided to throw the sticks down for a bit and not to play, hit or practice ANYTHING for a while.

Ha, I went to Charleston to visit my cousin who belongs to a great club down there Daniel Island Country Club. Amazing Practice Facility, so I decided to take my clubs and maybe work on things a bit, or just hit balls for the hell of it. So I decided Friday after Thanksgiving, of course the women went shopping and my cousin took his kids out to see a movie early in the morning, to go hit balls. You know not work on anything just hit 'em and see what happens. Well that didn't work very well.

I ended up hit almost an entire pyramid of balls trying not to shank a 52* wedge, sky my driver, and top my 7-iron which used to be my go-to club ranging from 0-185yds. It was unbelievable it was by far the worst I have hit balls in the past year, and even worst ever.

So I packed up and went to eat lunch, never thought of it until I got back and discussed it with my teacher. I decided to really take a break, I haven't picked a club up until yesterday I hit a couple buckets to where my forearms were sore and then headed out and played nine with a good friend of mine. Didn't keep score past the first hole which was bogey.

But it made me realize that I had to take a break, I truly understand how much I love this game, and being out on the course. I think I'm going to have a great year. I might play decent or maybe bad but I will not become angry, just rub it off. Hopefully this is a new beginning for my 20 year old self!

Thanks guys for listening to my rant!
In the bag:

Driver: 905R 9.5* NV-Stiff
Woods: (Tour Issue) 906f2 15* Speeder-Stiff
Irons: 695CBWedges: Vokey 252.08, Vokey Spin Milled 256.14Putter: Studio Stainless 2.5 (35 1/2" 350g)Ball: Pro V1x (Low #'s)

Wow that is pretty intense...have you figured out what has been going wrong or do you have an idea yet?
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Keep us updated. I'm guessing you're a good player if Callaway signed you? Top amateur, college, or aspiring pro?

In any case, my question (for what it's worth) : what clubs were you using before the switch to Callaway? Have you picked those old friends up and given them a try?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow that is pretty intense...have you figured out what has been going wrong or do you have an idea yet?

I believe it's my inability to work on one thing at a time, which is again psychological. I see one thing and attempt to find the "cure" and while working on it I tend to find a couple more that frustrate me. My instructor has worked diligently on this since day one.

Keep us updated. I'm guessing you're a good player if Callaway signed you? Top amateur, college, or aspiring pro?

Amateur that had aspirations, I dropped the position as of Jan 25th I told the rep he needed to find someone that was staying in the industry. I work in the Pro Shop as a part time job while in college. Going to college for my BA, Masters of Health Administration, and then possibly Ph.D. I would love to stay with the game which is pretty big around here we have some stud players which I grew up with but we would go waterfowling because I never played when I was a kid, but they did and they did it very well. I played the Titleist 695CB that were 100% standard, and in the next month I'm going to get fitted by my instructor he is on Professional Staff with Titleist. He has the whole fitting cart from Titleist so that should help. But ever since I've gone back to hitting the 695CBs my game has become more consistent. There is still a lot of yips in my game, and that is what is making me frustrated with the amount of time I have put into the game and what I am getting from all the practice.
In the bag:

Irons: 695CBWedges: Vokey 252.08, Vokey Spin Milled 256.14Putter: Studio Stainless 2.5 (35 1/2" 350g)Ball: Pro V1x (Low #'s)

"I signed with Callaway......I had been working with one of my bosses, who is a Class A PGA instructor (the highest achievement in the PGA teaching program)......in the next month I'm going to get fitted by my instructor he is on Professional Staff with Titleist"

Sheesh, come down to Earth for a moment. You are dropping brand names and titles left and right, yet the bottom line is you can't hack it at the level you want to be at.

You remind me of the kid in high school who always knew more than the other guy, knew someone that was going to hook them up with a great deal down the road, and was on the fast track to make it big. Yes, the kid who still lives in his home town and isn't going anywhere 15 years after high school. I'm not saying you can't be successful, but if you are you need to stop worrying about brand names and titles and worry more about your practice routine and dedication.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Okay, I dropped the staff position because I know I'm not going to be in the business long. I work with a top PGA instructor in the area who has helped me tremendously with what I have brought to the table. Also the Titleist fitting, who else would I goto to get fitted for Titleist 695CBs?

The problem isn't the level I want to be, I want to be taking on the pros every weekend. But I should be able to go a round with out getting yips in my swing and not being able to fix them. The amount of time and heart I've put into this game makes me wonder how I am not able to achieve what I should. Thats what is making me frustrated not the bloody brand name. I am one who tells everyone to see a teaching pro before they buy any new piece of equipment.
In the bag:

The amount of time and heart I've put into this game makes me wonder how I am not able to achieve what I should. Thats what is making me frustrated not the bloody brand name.

I see. Well, I would suggest you welcome the frustration! How many times have you been so frustrated that things weren't going right only to have a major breakthrough sometime after. We have all been there, it's just that you are on a different level than most.

Keep plugging away and it WILL happen.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Thank you good sir, and hopefully that's what this thread is going to be following.
In the bag:

From reading this thread, I think your problem is more mental than anything else. Golf is about setting and managing expectations too. I am sure a few people who are around you would have pointed you in the direction of Bob Rotella's books.
I wish you good luck and hope you put the fun back in playing this game.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

Hold on! Come back down to earth and play golf for the game that it really is! Who cares if you shoot 61 or 101. Its about more than that! It seems that due to your desire you have lost the fun side of it!
Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425
Taylor Made V steel 3woodCleveland Halo 2hybridCallaway Big Bertha 4-9Taylor Made 48 & 56Taylor Made Tp 52Odyssey XG 2ball...

What is your exact handicap? And also, which callaway clubs did you use before you changed your whole set to titleist? (good switch :D)
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Hold on! Come back down to earth and play golf for the game that it really is! Who cares if you shoot 61 or 101. Its about more than that! It seems that due to your desire you have lost the fun side of it!

That's a very good point. Golf at a high level comes with high expectations, and it can be frustrating if you don't meet your expectations, but it still needs to be fun. Confidence and belief in your capabilities has a lot more to do with upper level golf than spending countless hours with a coach and trying to find or create a swing that feels unnatural. Looks at Jim Furyk or Tommy Gainey, those aren't swings you teach. They are where they are because they believe in themselves. It sounds as though you've played good golf in the past, just know that you can do that again. You work at a club, I'd imagine you have unlimited access to the course? Just take a cart and spend time out there on your own. No teachers or members to impress. If a drive feels bad, hit another one. If your approach feels bad, hit another one. Same for chipping and putting. I played countless rounds by myself this summer, and I really found my game. I only got to my +2 handicap this last year, because I did dedicate so much time to myself and my game. When you can't get on the course, spend some time on the range or the practice green, put your iPod in your ears so the members know to stay away.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

That's a very good point. Golf at a high level comes with high expectations, and it can be frustrating if you don't meet your expectations, but it still needs to be fun.

Golf at any level comes with high expectations. I know that as a 16 I will hit some bad shots. Sometimes lots of them. Unfortunately I have hit enough good ones to expect a good result on every swing. I know that it won't happen that way, but I can't help myself from getting frustrated.

I like your tip about the ipod. I use the same thing when I work out. Because I run the gym, people always want to talk to me when I'm on the floor. Even if your don't turn it on, it let's people know not to bug you.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

All great points, and I really do have a great time when I go out and walk a few holes after work. I try to focus on playing whatever happens, but what gets me is when I go out with buddies and members and even mess around with them and it just doesn't come together anymore. I have lost any idea of a streak. For a couple weeks I got out of this no sense and actually played I think to a 8-10hcp which felt great considering I was at a 12-13hcp over the summer.

Just today I went to a buddy of mines club and played seriously just messed around, had a good time threw in a dip and just enjoyed the crazy 58* weather! But I played terribly, but knew that it only being my second or third time I really didn't care. I was going to head to the range and mess around for a while but I got a call to play.
What is your exact handicap? And also, which callaway clubs did you use before you changed your whole set to titleist? (good switch :D)

Right now I left the season as a 12, when I was a 2 or 3 last year at the same time. And I played through the winter because we only got one snow last year. I had the Callaway X-forged which the rep said would be perfect, and it was the only Callaway club I liked due to it's blade style head. I cannot stand the huge club head of Callaway clubs.
In the bag:

Okay, I dropped the staff position because I know I'm not going to be in the business long. I work with a top PGA instructor in the area who has helped me tremendously with what I have brought to the table. Also the Titleist fitting, who else would I goto to get fitted for Titleist 695CBs?

As just a golf Mom...my two cents if I may. My kids pro plays on the senior championship tour. His pro had a melt down a few weeks ago, during the florida touneys, he lost all confidence in his swing. Balls were going left and right, though he still shot into the high 60's low 70's he was very upset. His best friend who also happens to be a great coach told him...Mike, go back to your basics. Check your plane with a flashlight, put a ball between your arms and watch how and where your swing is and what is going on.

By the next week Mike was back to his normal self. But I digress. My kid also likes to change things in his swing all the darn time. Mike flew home for a quick lesson with my kid to sit there and say...Jason...quit messing with it, if you have problems always go back to the basics. ~he did fix certain things that my kid had changed~ But the most important thing my son learned, when his golf swing gets up and walks away, go back to the basics. Oh and listen/watch your ball, it's talking, but sometimes I don't think my son is listening,nor watching the ball flight.

~disclaimer~ I'm just a golf mom.

Note: This thread is 5955 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!