IGNORED

Tesla Autopilot and Driver Awareness

freshmanUTA
Note: This thread is 2172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Take a minute to read through this article before you respond to this thread: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2018/05/14/tesla-model-s-crash-utah-involved-autopilot-distracted-driver/609596002/

I guess this is kind of a rant, but a well deserved one. A woman crashed into a fire truck at nearly 60mph earlier and walked away, literally, with a broken ankle. Tesla is now under fire because the woman claims that her car was driving in "autopilot" mode at the time of the accident. I think this is beyond ridiculous, and the fact that any heat is directed at Tesla is asinine. First off, Tesla and Elon Musk always preach that autopilot should never be used so that the driver can avoid paying attention on the road. Even worse, the woman was on her phone while driving. 

The woman also told police she was looking at her phone prior to the collision and estimated her speed at 60 mph, which is consistent with eyewitness accounts, according to a police statement issued late Monday.

Tesla issued a public statement, consistent with what they've always said.

A Tesla spokesperson said the company's previous response to the crash still stood, which noted that Autopilot — a semi-autonomous system that works like a souped up cruise control — requires constant vigilance and is not meant to take over driving responsibilities while the driver focuses on other chores. 

Tesla should not be under scrutiny for this. Their autopilot has helped save lives in multiple situations, They preach that the cars Autopilot feature is not a replacement for paying attention and actually being in control of the car. According to Elon Musk, the car even issues a warning when you first turn it on. I completely agree with Musk in saying that a system that helps save even 1 life is a system worth being deployed.

I understand that people are disappointed that the car wasn't able to stop in time, etc. But you should never be stupid enough to believe that a car will be able to handle everything and you can stop being in control of the car. In my opinion, this is just another case of the old saying: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't speak for Tesla but I use to work at the GM Proving Grounds.  The adaptive breaking which I'm sure is on Tesla would have stopped the car regardless if it was in auto pilot or not.   I've driven cars that will slow down automatically when they get too close to another object.   

My opinion, and only my opinion, both Tesla and the woman are at fault.   The car should have stopped without her interaction and she shouldn't have been so stupid to assume that it would. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

5 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

My opinion, and only my opinion, both Tesla and the woman are at fault.   The car should have stopped without her interaction and she shouldn't have been so stupid to assume that it would. 

Not guaranteed. I bet you there is wording in the buying of that car that the driver is fully responsible to not be distracted while driving. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Not guaranteed. I bet you there is wording in the buying of that car that the driver is fully responsible to not be distracted while driving. 

There is, they've made it publicly known that it isn't 100% effective. They warn you even when you turn it on that it isn't a replacement for paying attention. 

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I respect your opinion, but even cars that advertise their safety features like automatic braking and assisted parking, etc. have disclaimers that they don't work 100% of the time. I see no reason why, especially when the woman is using her phone while driving, Tesla should be at fault.

The fact that she was looking at her phone while doing 60mph prior to the accident puts the driver at fault. Adaptive breaking etc. are there to assist the driver, not replace them. Over here it's an oddence to use a mobile phone (with no hands free) stationary with the engine on let alone moving as you are not in full control of vehicle. 

We had something in the news about a guy who turned on the autopilot and was caught climbing into the passenger seat, by the unmarked police care next to him, whie on the motorway. Driver was banned but couldnt understand what the problem was,

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

17 minutes ago, RussUK said:

The fact that she was looking at her phone while doing 60mph prior to the accident puts the driver at fault. Adaptive breaking etc. are there to assist the driver, not replace them. Over here it's an oddence to use a mobile phone (with no hands free) stationary with the engine on let alone moving as you are not in full control of vehicle. 

We had something in the news about a guy who turned on the autopilot and was caught climbing into the passenger seat, by the unmarked police care next to him, whie on the motorway. Driver was banned but couldnt understand what the problem was,

We saw that in the paper here in the States.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 minute ago, dennyjones said:

We saw that in the paper here in the States.

Some people are just crazy. I barely trust myself behind the wheel let alone a computer (plus the other gizmo's) :-P

Having auto pilot does bring up loads more police scenarios. "do you know how fast you were going sir?", "Sorry officer i dont. I was asleep in the passenger seat at the time" 

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 2172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!