IGNORED

Advice on refinishing this Scotty Cameron New Port Two

Note: This thread is 2109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

Im new to the site.  I just picked up this Scotty Cameron and was wondering if there is anything I can do on my own to clean it up a little. I know you can send them to the Cameron studio but I'd like to game with it a bit and save some money to maybe do that down the road.  I'm pretty handy and thought maybe I could try to clean it up myself though.  I plan on keeping this putter.  Always wanted a Cameron and got a super good price on it.  It came with a thick super stroke grip and I had them replace the grip with a new Scotty grip they had sitting in the shop.   

Can anyone ID the type of metal in this head? I've found ones very similar on the net but having a hard time exactly pinning it down.  I did read that there were some made with "carbon steel?" What are your thoughts?  I can't wait to game this putter.  Hopefully, it works out well.  

Thanks for your help, in advance.

PeteCM180616-143349001.thumb.jpg.b7100ae1b41bf50d8e3ecc4a34d72e22.jpgCM180616-170839006.thumb.jpg.2c4ae90ff03fa55ff7967651300b6a7d.jpg

CM180616-170725002.jpg

CM180616-143358002.jpg

CM180616-170740003.jpg

CM180616-170801004.jpg

CM180616-170845007.jpg

CM180616-170812005.jpg

CM180616-170703001.jpg

I have a couple old Scotty Tei3 Newport and Newport longneck.  I sent my Newport to BOS refinishing and they put the original finish on it for around $100.  I can't believe how it came out...even my Golf hatin' wife was impressed.  Looked like new and it was beat up worse than what I got there.

Yours just looks like stainless steel.  Look on the BOS website, many finishes to choose from.

Turnaround time was about 2 weeks.  It'll cost extra if they have to pull the head so if u have the means to only send the head, that is the preferred way.

Definitely do it, best money spent.  I still have my Tei longneck to send unless I just sell it the way it is.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

https://www.scottycameron.com/archives/putters/1996/classics/newport/

I know this shows the Newport but, same thing.  So it is Carbon Steel and has that oil can finish like my Tei has.  I thought it might have because both my putters have/had that finish stripped off more or less and looked like Yours does now.

So I had then put the original oil can finish on mine.  It's nice but I have to keep a rag soaked in baby oil in a Ziploc bag with it so I can wipe it down after each round.  If it's wet out, don't UAE the head over, it'll rust...no fertilizer...sort of a pain in the ass finish...but it looks nice.

The longneck, if I do it, will have a black matte finish...something with less upkeep.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!