IGNORED

My Swing (HereCannonBallit)

HereCannonballit
Note: This thread is 2046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 20 years infrequently, 5 years frequently
My current handicap index or average score is: 20
My typical ball flight is: Still figuring that one out
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Tops, shanks, chunks, hooks

Videos: 

Iron 1:

Iron 2:

Old Iron:

Driver:

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to help out with my swing, I appreciate any advice as it's been a frustrating year. A little background, I have been working on rebuilding my swing this year after struggling with reverse pivot issues for years. I still have trouble feeling that transfer to the back foot at times, and I tend to think way too much about the right leg action on my back swing and down swing, I think it causes me to choke up a little on the tee box and especially  with my longer clubs. I actually just started hitting playable drives about two weeks ago after struggling with terrible tops, duck hooks, and huge divots after the ball making a lot of embarassing rounds and first tees. I was playing with just a driving iron for awhile because the woods and utilities were so bad, but I started keeping my lower body much more quiet and it seemed to help with making contact and I'm hitting some occasionally great shots with those clubs now. All in all though, I'm incredibly inconsistent with the long clubs right now. At the range I am consistent but it's easier there, and I definitely have a lot more misses with my irons since rebuilding things. The most frustrating thing of all this is I know I can play good rounds, I've carded a high 70s round and a lot of low 80s, but I'm so inconsistent right now I've been between 90 and 105 the last 5-6 rounds when I should be in the low 90s at the most with how much I practice and play, and how long I've been playing. 

The third iron swing shows my swing about 2 months ago before I started working heavily on weight transfer and impact position. But it seems like all those things I tried to piece together left me with more inconsistencies, although I've hit some really excellent shots I would not have before. At the range I can get the feel of a great shot, but repeating it seems to just come and go even out there. I can't put the swing thoughts together for consistency and I think that's a big issue a long with quite a bit of mechanical things I bet too. 

Edited by HereCannonballit

8 minutes ago, HereCannonballit said:

My current handicap index or average score is: 20
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Tops, shanks, chunks, hooks

Videos: 

Iron 1:

Iron 2:

Old Iron:

Driver:

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to help out with my swing, I appreciate any advice as it's been a frustrating year. A little background, I have been working on rebuilding my swing this year after struggling with reverse pivot issues for years. I still have trouble feeling that transfer to the back foot at times, and I tend to think way too much about the right leg action on my back swing and down swing, I think it causes me to choke up a little on the tee box and especially  with my longer clubs. I actually just started hitting playable drives about two weeks ago after struggling with terrible tops, duck hooks, and huge divots after the ball making a lot of embarassing rounds and first tees. I was playing with just a driving iron for awhile because the woods and utilities were so bad, but I started keeping my lower body much more quiet and it seemed to help with making contact and I'm hitting some occasionally great shots with those clubs now. All in all though, I'm incredibly inconsistent with the long clubs right now. At the range I am consistent but it's easier there, and I definitely misses with my irons. The most frustrating thing of all this is I know I can play good rounds, I've carded a high 70s round and a lot of low 80s, but I'm so inconsistent right now I've been between 90 and 105 the last 5-6 rounds when I should be in the low 90s at the most with how much I practice and play, and how long I've been playing. 

The third iron swing shows my swing about 2 months ago before I started working heavily on weight transfer and impact position. But it seems like all those things I tried to piece together left me with more inconsistencies, although I've hit some really excellent shots I would not have before. 

Welcome to The Sand Trap. I would recommend starting with reading the thread below. Your stance at address looks very upright and that may affect the backswing and downswing. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
On 8/12/2018 at 1:39 PM, boogielicious said:

Welcome to The Sand Trap. I would recommend starting with reading the thread below. Your stance at address looks very upright and that may affect the backswing and downswing. 

Thank you! and great link, much appreciated. I tested out getting in a more athletic stance with the head up, so much more of a 'clearance' feeling and way more consistency on my longer clubs. Exciting stuff. I'm still hitting some odd pushes and slices with my irons though, which may just be poor contact / timing.

Aside from posture do you see any glaring deficiencies in my swing?

Edited by HereCannonballit

17 hours ago, HereCannonballit said:

Thank you! and great link, much appreciated. I tested out getting in a more athletic stance with the head up, so much more of a 'clearance' feeling and way more consistency on my longer clubs. Exciting stuff. I'm still hitting some odd pushes and slices with my irons though, which may just be poor contact / timing.

Aside from posture do you see any glaring deficiencies in my swing?

I would start with that and post the change. It may make it easier for the back and downswing if you are more bent over with your legs less upright too. Practice it slowly at first to get the feel down.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 8/17/2018 at 6:14 AM, boogielicious said:

I would start with that and post the change. It may make it easier for the back and downswing if you are more bent over with your legs less upright too. Practice it slowly at first to get the feel down.

This tip has really helped a lot whether these videos show it or not, I’m continuing to improve on the posterior tilt in the lower back and trying to emphasize hanging my torso over the ground more. Much much more consistent contact. I’m hoping to get some better videos uploaded soon but here are some recents (please excuse the golf bowling alley.) Still struggling with ball flight, i hit a consistent controlled fade but I like to draw the ball and I have trouble replicating that downswing it seems

12 minutes ago, HereCannonballit said:

Still struggling with ball flight, i hit a consistent controlled fade but I like to draw the ball

This statement confuses me and goes against what you posted in your original post:

On 8/12/2018 at 4:29 PM, HereCannonballit said:

You've been playing for 5 years frequently, yet 10 days ago you didnt know your typical ball flight, still trying to figure it out, but now you hit a consistent controlled fade but aren't happy with that and want to hit a draw?? That doesnt make sense to me.

If you can hit a consistent controlled fade, why not live with that for now and work on other parts of your game that are inconsistent? Many of the top players in the world play a fade and do just fine with it.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 hour ago, klineka said:

This statement confuses me and goes against what you posted in your original post:

You've been playing for 5 years frequently, yet 10 days ago you didnt know your typical ball flight, still trying to figure it out, but now you hit a consistent controlled fade but aren't happy with that and want to hit a draw?? That doesnt make sense to me.

If you can hit a consistent controlled fade, why not live with that for now and work on other parts of your game that are inconsistent? Many of the top players in the world play a fade and do just fine with it.

Haha fair points all around, I didn't really describe things very well. 

I have been playing 4- 5  of the last years frequently, but 3 of them with some flawed mechanics that I tried to describe in the OP. Typically all arms, weight all on the front foot, reverse pivots, etc. Despite an ugly swing I was able to post some good rounds as I was still able to make good contact. I didn't play much for about a year (Last June - this March) as I lost interest in it and got caught up in some other activities, then lost my swing pretty much. I picked up playing around April this year and my shoulder started hurting really badly from chunks and the stuck position, so I started to do some work on my swing. 

Since around April, I've been studying and practicing swing mechanics and rebuilding it completely, getting in good enough physical shape with my core and legs to promote drive and balance etc. Getting through the ball is all new to me, I'm used to impact with completely flat feet and hips that were hardly involved. Lately, I'm hitting shots and feeling contact that I just haven't before, so I guess thats what I meant by still figuring it out lo.I would say (the last 2-3 weeks) my predominant shot is a controlled fade, but it doesn't feel as pure as when I hit a draw or a ball in a relatively straight line. I hope this helps clear things up

Note: This thread is 2046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!