IGNORED

Adding Wedges to Existing Graphite Iron Set

yanni
Note: This thread is 2037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am playing a set of graphite Cobra F7 irons right now (1/2" longer than standard) The set contains a PW and SW. The PW has 45 and the SW 55 of loft.

I was thinking to add a gap wedge and also had the impression I should buy dedicated wedges. So what I did is ordered some used Cleveland CBX wedges GW in 50, and SW in 54 loft. I am thinking of adding some lob wedge 58" later. I will keep the PW from my Cobra set.

What I notice is the Cleveland wedges are a bit shorter (which should be OK) but I also way more heavy with their steel shafts then the other clubs.

I still could return the Clevelands. Do you think this could be general problem and I would be better of by adding an original Cobra F7 carbon gap wedge to my set ?

A different option would to just add 2 wedges. 52 and 58. Not really sure what to do 😉

Edited by yanni

So many options available. Everyone is different and you will get a lot of different setup choices.

Me personally I like my stock PW - 47 with my 52 and 58.  I can open them up and that adds variety to my shots. It will really depend on how far you hit your clubs and your gaps.

Do you know what the Cobra F7 carbon gap wedge is?  If it was 50* that would be a perfect fit.  45, 50 & 55... that's a good setup and it would match your set and have a graphite shaft.

If you add too many clubs down low, will you have to take another club out to be at 14 clubs?

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The cobra GW would indeed be 50. I am still a beginner and my short game is far from being perfect. Probably this option would be best for now. I thought the Clevelands would do something "better". But this is probably not really the case. I will test them this evening and see how it goes. The F7 series is not available anymore though. Have to check the used market.

Edited by yanni

14 minutes ago, yanni said:

The cobra GW would indeed be 50. I am still a beginner and my short game is far from perfect. Probably this option would be best for now. I thought the Clevelands would do something "better". But this is probably not really the case. I will just test them this evening and see how it goes.

Nice.  I would get the Cobra GW then and you should be good to go.

The Clevelands are not going to do anything magical for you.  No wedge will.  Plus they are shorter and heavier.  Get the GW and the practice so you can get all yardages down. Full, 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 swings for all those shots 100 yards and in.  :beer:

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

While it makes numerical sense to add a 50 degree club; you might consider adding a "shot" instead.  Play your 45 degree PW with the face open 2 and 1/2 minutes...half way between 1 and 2.  That will increase the effective loft of the club and produce a shorter, higher, shot.  The ability to "take something off" is going to be necessary no matter what assortment of clubs you have.  For example:  my PW (47) will fly about 80 to 120 depending on whether the face is square or "laid off"...with a full swing and no appreciable wind or changes in elevation.

• Upvote 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I agree with that. Also I don't really feel I need this additional wedge. I am just reading this in some books and see this in other players bags. Most people use either 3-4 wedges. I use 2 at the moment. 

• iacas changed the title to Adding Wedges to Existing Graphite Iron Set

Having switched to graphite/carbon shafts in my irons (+1" 1/2" progression), I did the same for my wedges, and went basically single length from PW down (and PW is only 1/4" shorter than 9i). As much for feel as anything -- having gotten used to the weight and flex of graphite, I wanted to keep the same feel through the set. 60-55-50, for what it's worth. Graphite helps keep swing weight reasonable with  the added length.

I had a chance to try out the wedges today (just chipping) First I had to get used to them cause they went a little bit further then my Cobra sandwedge. But once I got used to them I had way better results than with the Cobra. The weight difference in the SW is actually 450g compared to the 400g on the Cobra.

The slightly higher weight made me swing more consistent. Also the shorter size seemed to help a bit. Once I got used to it a had way better contact and spin. I just felt much more comfortable with those than with the Cobra. Just from looking down the club and swinging it gave much more confidence. Cannot really explain why. I am not 100% sure how this will turn out on the long run but I think I will keep them for now eventhough it might not be a perfect fit.

Edited by yanni

Note: This thread is 2037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!