IGNORED

Mystery - Help Solve!

R-2
Note: This thread is 2021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hoping one of you could help me solve a mystery...

Been playing Edel (variable length) irons/wedges for the past 18 months.  Recently decided to have my old set (Mizuno MP-53) refit to match the setup of the Edel (length, weight, loft, lie) and leave them at my parent’s place to avoid hauling clubs back-and-forth.  Hit the refit Mizunos for the first time today.  60° thru 8i are money - the distances are pretty close to my Edel numbers. The mystery is with the 7i-3i, which are all cavity backs in this set (vs muscle backs for lower irons).  The cavity backs are now all crazy short (distance).  For reference, both 8i = 150yd.  But Mizuno 7i is same as my Edel PW.  6i = 9i, 5i = 8i, 4i = 160yd (should be 190yd), 3i = 170yd (should be 200yd).  I can’t for the life of me figure out why cavity backs would be such a difference and how to possibly fix them.  Ideas?  

Thanks!

• iacas changed the title to Mystery - Help Solve!
  • Administrator

Did you ever sort this out?

I think that if your 8 irons in both sets are going the same distance, your 7-iron should not go as far as your pitching wedge and shorter than the same set's 8-iron.

So you're saying:

Edel 8I = 150
Mizuno 8I = 150

but…

Edel 7I = 160
Mizuno 7I = 125 or so?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/7/2018 at 10:24 PM, R-2 said:

Hoping one of you could help me solve a mystery...

Been playing Edel (variable length) irons/wedges for the past 18 months.  Recently decided to have my old set (Mizuno MP-53) refit to match the setup of the Edel (length, weight, loft, lie) and leave them at my parent’s place to avoid hauling clubs back-and-forth.  Hit the refit Mizunos for the first time today.  60° thru 8i are money - the distances are pretty close to my Edel numbers. The mystery is with the 7i-3i, which are all cavity backs in this set (vs muscle backs for lower irons).  The cavity backs are now all crazy short (distance).  For reference, both 8i = 150yd.  But Mizuno 7i is same as my Edel PW.  6i = 9i, 5i = 8i, 4i = 160yd (should be 190yd), 3i = 170yd (should be 200yd).  I can’t for the life of me figure out why cavity backs would be such a difference and how to possibly fix them.  Ideas?  

Thanks!

This is odd. Where/how are you getting your numbers?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

So... took a look at Mizzys on a Trackman (originally on range).  Turned out not as dramatic of a drop-off as previously witnessed. Likely attributed to outdoors + range balls vs indoor TM + ProV1.  Nonetheless, interesting to see.  On the whole, the Mizzys (back up set), seem to be about a club to two shorter than my Edels (considering, Edel 8i = 150 carry and Edel 4i = 190 carry).  See attached TM numbers for Mizzys.

C35C737C-0208-4A52-BA6B-739374EDAB01.png

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, R-2 said:

So... took a look at Mizzys on a Trackman (originally on range).  Turned out not as dramatic of a drop-off as previously witnessed. Likely attributed to outdoors + range balls vs indoor TM + ProV1.  Nonetheless, interesting to see.  On the whole, the Mizzys (back up set), seem to be about a club to two shorter than my Edels (considering, Edel 8i = 150 carry and Edel 4i = 190 carry).  See attached TM numbers for Mizzys.

Did you test your Edel irons at the same time?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, R-2 said:

No... Mizzys are in a different location

So then… you still don't know, exactly, what the difference is, or if there is even one.

People can and often do swing slightly differently indoors on a mat, outdoors on a mat, outdoors off grass, etc.

IACAS I’m not chasin you around I promise, just happened to experience a similar situation when I got my new irons. 👍

when i switched from my Cleveland CG4 tours(cavity back) to my current Srixon 945s(blades) I noticed that my yardages were around 9 to 10 yards off(longer) with the 945s. Same shaft x100 and same grips. Both D3 swing weight. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by CaseyD

• Administrator

Of course it’s possible for one set to hit it farther. Just not the 8-iron going further than the 7-iron stuff. Not often.

Note: This thread is 2021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!