IGNORED

Mizuno Shaft Optimizer

Note: This thread is 1936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know it's been beaten to death, everyone wanting to know what the numbers mean.  I'm not going there and not going to dig up an old thread either.

i was bored today and there was nobody at the store.  I hit the 3 balls, Eddie fired up the software.  He did use the " it's a starting point" line that must be part of the Mizuno training.   89 mph, 4, 4, 3, 8. What was strange to me is how different the recommended shafts were.  Starting at the top:

kbs tour s

nippon modus 105x

ctaper lite x

nippon  modus 120s

project x LTZ 6.0

Project x 6.0

i forget the rest but the only reason the Nippon modus 130 was not in there was because its not offered by Mizuno.  I release early ( something to correct over the winter).  They stat with a high balance point 120 gram shaft with kbs.  Next  up is a high ball flight lite shaft.  Then a lower ball flight lite shaft.  The modus 120 s I think is stiff tip and soft butt.  The project x has a stiff butt and soft tip.  Is there any rhyme or reason to these choices?  I'm thinking PX 6.0 or Modus 130 as a starting point.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Mizuno Shaft Optimizer

You are not kidding. Those shafts are all over the map. I think that your early release is basically negating much of the flex character of the shaft. The earlier the release, the less the shaft bend profile will have any influence on the results. I think the software isn't able to make any real recommendations because of that. 

As far as the starting point goes, the PX 6.0 is actually lower launching compared to Dynamic Gold. Stiffer tip and softer butt. The Modus 130 is a higher launch compared to the PX but also compared to the Modus 120. But again if like you said, your release is early then these factors will be muted. I would probably focus more on the weight aspect and see what feels best.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The px looses stiffness and the tip is not stiff.  Supposed to get up fast but then flatten out.  Last time I did the optimzer a couple years ago it suggested the px because of my release.  I do hit that quite well but would prefer the modus 130 feel.

I do remember like you said it being hard to pick a shaft because if my release point.

I was thinking if getting fit by a real fitter and just wanted to see where the optimized pointed me before going in.  Can't tell anything....

I have a set of px 6.0 satin pulls someone gave me.  The lengths are messed up a bit but would work fine if I soft stepped hem once.  Only thing is they are .370.  I have a set iLife I25 irons lying around I could pull the shafts and bore out the hosels.  Only thing is the weight being off pulling a 109 gram cfs and putting in a 120. Gram px.

Wanted to include a chart concerning what I was saying about the PX vs DG. I was thinking the PX was noticeably stiffer, but in fact it is only slightly stiffer in the very tip. It is really the mid section where it shows significant stiffness over the DG. With the softer butt, that all equals lower launch. See EI chart. The Flighted PX does have the higher launch in the longer shafts.

The tip on the modus is much softer in the 130 and should launch much higher than either PX or DG everything else being equal.

PXvsDGChart.png

Adam, thank u.  I think a lot of people think the px is overly stiff because of the mid section.  I happen to like that.  I was never a fan of the DG...probably for that reason.  Interesting about the modus tip.  Prosoft inserts in the px I'm thinking about as well since I like the modus feel.

My son-in-law recently bought a beautiful set of eleven Mizuno irons which included a mix of Fli Hi,  919, and S18 club heads with UST Recoil 95 shafts on all of them. 

I'd have to say that they're the nicest new set of irons that I've seen in a long time. 

Callaway, Cobra, Mizuno, Ping, and Titleist all offer UST Recoil 95s on their top line irons. TaylorMade doesn't.  They offer the Recoil ES 660 that Hogan and Edel use.

It appears that the UST Recoil 95 is the new Aldila NV Pro 105 in being the ubiquitous high end graphite choice.

I noticed that in this Mizuno oriented-thread, however, there are  five likely shaft choices suggested , and all of them (I believe) are steel.   Is steel still the way folks are going with high end irons? I know that I play graphite so my hands don't swell, but my son-in-law plays graphite too.  It somewhat dominates at our club.

But I don't get around that much away from the club, and when I do, I don't play with enough people to see a trend.

I can't find the edit function, but I meant to say six, not five, suggested steel shafts.

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Yeah, no idea why I never see graphite offered on the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer.  It must have something to do with the readings.  Stronger golfer gets steel?... Things like "toe down" measurement might show more stress on the shaft so steel would minimize it ?   Just a thought.

I've  hit the recoil and Steelfiber shafts and they  feels as nice as my Nippon Modus 105.

• 2 months later...

I recently went for a fitting on the shaft optimiser and it gave these as my top 3:

Project X LZ 6.0

Project X 6.0

DG S300 120

I didn’t go with the Mizuno in the end but put the Project 6 LZ’s into a set of Taylormade 760’s.  My previous irons were 790’s with Project X 6.0 in them.  I can feel the change in the shaft but would be pushed to say if there was a dramatic change between the two.

5 hours ago, Karlos8744 said:

I recently went for a fitting on the shaft optimiser and it gave these as my top 3:

Project X LZ 6.0

Project X 6.0

DG S300 120

I didn’t go with the Mizuno in the end but put the Project 6 LZ’s into a set of Taylormade 760’s.  My previous irons were 790’s with Project X 6.0 in them.  I can feel the change in the shaft but would be pushed to say if there was a dramatic change between the two.

I like the LZ a lot. They feel less harsh in the butt and middle of the shaft and I can feel it load better than the older Project X.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!