IGNORED

Mixed Results So Far

Reef Donkey
Note: This thread is 2002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went out today and played a quick 9 before the rain came.  For the past couple of weeks I've been working on a no-overlap, no-interlock grip.  Holding the club this way with a bit of a strong grip  and forward press at address has really helped me with compressing the ball at impact with my irons.

With it being still foreign to me I really focused on the forward press and the feeling of "slowing down" my swing.  I hit some really solid shots today this way, longer than my normal averages.  And my accuracy was good.  Well, at least for me.

Today I hit 6 of 9 GIR, which is excellent considering the "mixed results" I'm about to go into.

Holding my irons this way is fine, but when I tee up driver or 3w, not so much.  I don't do the forward press on the woods, but I was spraying all over the place.  Ending up with some fairly long iron shots in the rough for an approach.  Considering that I only hit 3 fairways I'll take 6 GIR any day.  

I'm more worried about the consistency if I change grips for my woods, which were much more accurate prior to my strong grip.  Do any of you have two different grip styles that you use?  

Ended up with a 41 for the 9 holes.  My lowest score in a long time.  Loving this grip for my irons!!!

With your old grip, were you focused on slow swing before you changed grips?  I have been messing around with a weaker grip. It feels kinda strange but seems to put me in a better position at A4, but I'm not sure that position is so much better than I should make this a permanent change. Having said that, whatever grip I use, I use it throughout the whole bag. I'm OCD like that though...haha

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

45 minutes ago, TN94z said:

With your old grip, were you focused on slow swing before you changed grips?  I have been messing around with a weaker grip. It feels kinda strange but seems to put me in a better position at A4, but I'm not sure that position is so much better than I should make this a permanent change. Having said that, whatever grip I use, I use it throughout the whole bag. I'm OCD like that though...haha

Definitely was focused with the old grip. But I couldn’t stop being flippy with my wrists. I’d always add loft to the club at impact or start catching on the upswing. 

I should also add that I’ve been working on a single pivot swing. It’s also help me hit with a descending angle. 

Well whatever I’m doing feels great with the irons. Just gotta figure out the woods.

I use the same grip for all my clubs, and swings. I even hold my putter the same as my other clubs. It's a very nuetral Vardon type grip. 

I am of the opinion, that using the same grip, on all clubs/swings helps with consistency. 

On all my full swings, depending on the club, I might have my club face a little open. That's about the only conscious adjustment I might make. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!