IGNORED

High Right Shoulder at Impact

mighty
Note: This thread is 1994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, just want to see if anyone can help with my swing problems here, sorry about not having a video of my swing but I will try to explain as much as I can :

Background: 

I just got my first speed radar yesterday and I've been swinging my driver as fast as I could without hitting a ball. My best swing was recorded at 40 m/s (around 90 mph) . Funny thing is, when I slowed down and relaxed, then did practice swings at around 60% effort, I could still get around 30 m/s of speed. So I think my full hard swing has some big problems to cause such power loss?

My swing:

The biggest problem I'm aware of is that I can never bring my right shoulder down like the tour pros at impact position, it's always too high like it's spinning out towards the ball. My back also tends to straighten up while doing that. This is the only problem I can think of that might be causing me to lose a lot of power and speed. How can I improve my impact position? I might be using too much hands instead of my body as well because of the spinning out problem, 

Appreciate if anyone can help me out. Thanks a lot.

1 hour ago, mighty said:

Hi, just want to see if anyone can help with my swing problems here, sorry about not having a video of my swing but I will try to explain as much as I can :

Background: 

I just got my first speed radar yesterday and I've been swinging my driver as fast as I could without hitting a ball. My best swing was recorded at 40 m/s (around 90 mph) . Funny thing is, when I slowed down and relaxed, then did practice swings at around 60% effort, I could still get around 30 m/s of speed. So I think my full hard swing has some big problems to cause such power loss?

My swing:

The biggest problem I'm aware of is that I can never bring my right shoulder down like the tour pros at impact position, it's always too high like it's spinning out towards the ball. My back also tends to straighten up while doing that. This is the only problem I can think of that might be causing me to lose a lot of power and speed. How can I improve my impact position? I might be using too much hands instead of my body as well because of the spinning out problem, 

Appreciate if anyone can help me out. Thanks a lot.

As you said a video would be most helpful. But based on your description I recommend you search YouTube for videos regarding ‘early extension.’ It sounds like you’re starting your downswing with your upper body and not with a lateral shift of your lead hip towards the target. Also, be sure at set up you have a proper tilt where your trail  shoulder is lower than your lead. 

Here’s a good thread as well.:

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to High Right Shoulder at Impact
  • Administrator

Weight probably isn't going forward properly, creating some axis tilt for you, and the right arm is probably throwing out (flipping), and the path is left so you early extend to help stop the club from crashing into the ground.

See it all the time. The fixes aren't easy to do, but they're easy to diagnose.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, Vinsk said:

As you said a video would be most helpful. But based on your description I recommend you search YouTube for videos regarding ‘early extension.’ It sounds like you’re starting your downswing with your upper body and not with a lateral shift of your lead hip towards the target. Also, be sure at set up you have a proper tilt where your trail  shoulder is lower than your lead. 

Here’s a good thread as well.:

I think I do move my legs and hips first on the downswing, but maybe my arms and shoulders are moving out too fast as well instead of moving down? Another thing I noticed is my left arm is too flat and hands are too high at impact. I could try to imitate a tour pro's position at impact but I still could not get faster swing speed, usually even slower than my normal swing. What else could be making me lose speed? 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, mighty said:

I think I do move my legs and hips first on the downswing, but maybe my arms and shoulders are moving out too fast as well instead of moving down? Another thing I noticed is my left arm is too flat and hands are too high at impact. I could try to imitate a tour pro's position at impact but I still could not get faster swing speed, usually even slower than my normal swing. What else could be making me lose speed? 

We're gonna need a video. I'm not a big fan at all of trying to diagnose this stuff based on what someone's feeling.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

We're gonna need a video. I'm not a big fan at all of trying to diagnose this stuff based on what someone's feeling.

This @mighty.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Just found out my speed radar is way off when not hitting a ball, it's about 20 mph slower, so I'm actually at around 110 swing speed. However, even when I go to hit a golf simulator, I only get about 120 ball speed max, so the problem seems to be the smash factor? Or perhaps the simulator is not accurate? By the way I hit old range balls at the simulator, maybe I will buy some new balls soon to see if there's a difference. I will try to edit and post a video up here. 

Edited by mighty

Note: This thread is 1994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!